Building a Pearl 2

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks Dennis - would those be the pair R1/R2 and R30/R32? Should I worry also about R3/R4 and R31/R33? What would be an appropriate value? 2x20Ω?

Hi Lbcyclist,

I was actually thinking of modifying the R part on your power supply board,
where you currently have the 1 ohm resistor.

If you currently have +/34V with both boards attached and assuming
a total 100mA draw (going by the Pearl 2 documentation; you can
verify by measuring the voltage across that 1 ohm resistor), you can
lose a couple more volts, for example, by changing out the 1 ohm
and putting 20ohms/1W in its place.

Cheers,
Dennis

Hi all, I'm finally getting around to building a proper PS for my Pearl 2 and I wanted to confirm I'm on the right track. Thanks!

y4mvPEh8l3ziHMf8dMF1jGOHRgvYXsyM_zGPsjNeIaYUYfJBBY0_NlZplRJFa236BdmUHV800q5FEomevNPwe_DQVJRSSZwT3_IUv6Nn-zffq42xSjQ9qnOmzgGGehyUA3mrvwu2WI27YhsMPNnbl3fmXw-BA97Gaxfzi_gQhBBXuPQyNfUQEFegbhvbTsJhZ2ursIfj9lNXjqWTDIO5Sh22g

y4mCDPSDTYABQxjceB2ZQoq1CgtIw1fWU812vhQ661qJ_N6QmwoFwVdpHvJ2PrRhGxoZ9DWKDl4Or0SsH7dfVgF32aSfNqKALeWnkm-skV9VBWNBS9vKeRdwY2ipaGmJx-i4LnErv0IDRm-IvR7Bo7XnMtvMAb0hTrLjE9sF3KECH9Svt4Hx4qxy9USTGAuPsuoxFxYZOOGd5d0QJqqA1HjAg

Hi Lbcyclist,

I was actually thinking of modifying the R part on your power supply board,
where you currently have the 1 ohm resistor.

If you currently have +/34V with both boards attached and assuming
a total 100mA draw (going by the Pearl 2 documentation; you can
verify by measuring the voltage across that 1 ohm resistor), you can
lose a couple more volts, for example, by changing out the 1 ohm
and putting 20ohms/1W in its place.

Cheers,
Dennis

Thanks Dennis,

I thought about this too. I’ll hook it all up and measure the voltage drop across the resistor.

McQuaide - yes I have heat sinks on the regulators. At 34.x volts we scratching the top end of the regulator voltage range, which is 35V according to the spec sheet. Dropping a few volts would be much better for heat and probably part longevity as well.

Could you mount the transistors on the side of a galaxy case with it's "Pseudo" heat sinks and do away with the tall ones normally soldered to the boards?

Just considering ways of bringing the size of the case down including stacking the boards (already mentioned by me in this thread).

Cheers

Steve

I've been running Pearl 2s on 28v with no heat sinks for years. Never an issue.

Finished building now experiencing

Well after many meltdowns, mistakes and many other emotions, I have finally finished the Pearl 2. It is without doubt the the biggest improvement to my vinyl setup. Would like to thank everyone on the forum for their assistance as without the their help this would not have been a project I would/could attempt.
Andrew