Building a Pearl 2

I recently bought a set of Pearl 2 board and matched JFETs from PassDIY - the JFETs are 2SK170s.

I am up to the point of installing the JFETs in the board and I want to make sure I have the correct orientation. The 2SK170s have one flat face and a curved back.

Here comes possibly a dumb question: do I install the JFETs (and other transistors) with the flat faces on the flat side of the circuit board silk screening?

I looked up the data sheets for the JFETs and it based on the pinout it looks to me like they should go the other way - but all of the build pictures look like the flat faces go to to the flat side on the board.

Thanks in advance for any insight - bmdduck

Ok, here goes - first time posting pictures.

The boards are done. Next up is building the power supply and picking a chassis for the PS.

My last project was a BA2018 linestage which I put in a pretty big chassis. I am removing the power supply from it, installing the Pearl 2 board and powering the linestage from the Pearls. All with an off-board power supply.

Thanks to those who answered questions along the way - this forum is super helpful!

Trying again to post the picture.

Attachments

• Pearl 2.jpg
    Pearl 2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 328
I have received my boards and JFETS from PASSDIY. completed a BOM order from mouser (thank 6L6). I have a DIYaudio psu board and looking for suggestions on populating it. I have build the board for power amps before but they where of the simple class A setup. I currently have 6800uF 50V nichicon caps for the board. was curious if anyone has resistor values for it or are the .47ohm 3 watt good? I have an AnTek AS-0522 toroid that I plan on using. I am fairly new to all this and do not have an engineering background. I have build a pair of Amp camp amp, a F6, a few tube amps and am currently collecting components for an AlephJ. I have attempted to read thru this entire thread but it has become very lengthy.
I went way off topic. With the DIYaudio PSU boards, what snubbers, resistors and such get used?

I ued the same board for the PS. See me pictures posted here. Your caps and transformer are OK, that's what I used. The only parts really needed are the diodes -i used Hexfreds- and even the heatsinks are not necessary. As far as resistors, only R9 and R10 are needed, and I also used resistors in the R1 and R8 -R .47 ok-positions, -left the others open- that's all. Be sure to connect the ground planes of the 3 boards as shown on the build guide. Take care in positioning of the diodes in the board to account for their polarity. There's nice photo of this in this thread but I cannot find it now.

Well I think my power supply has an issue. I have the FEP30DPs installed, the capacitors installed and .47ohm resistors in R9, R10 and R8 and R4. have LEDs and R20 and R21 with 4.7k. hooked up my dim bulb to the transformer and it lit up and never dimmed. no DC output. to I need more than 1 filter resistor? should I have not put the led with drop resistor in? any help? will post a pic of PSU