Building a Pearl 2

re the XLR
I like the way it fits neatly into a round hole. Round holes are "thumbs-friendly" to achieve.

Make and model? Or is that too much to ask?

The neutrix D series XLR connectors can be mounted from the front or the rear, . when mounted from the rear, you only see the connecting receptacle portion. I agree, this is neater than seeing the rectangular faceplate as you do when front mounting

Very nice build itsikhefez. I like how you kept the wires nice and short. Any issues with hum or noise during your build process or was it quiet from the beginning? I’m about to start soldering on the Pearl 2 boards.

To go back to my power supply build everything is great now that I have the caps in. I also soldered in a .47ohm 3W resistor to each rail per 6L6’s suggestion. Now I am getting 30.8V on the + rail and 30.7 on the - rail. I expect a slight drop in voltage when loaded by the Pearl 2 boards but not much. I would think any transformer will experience voltage drop due to the load, not just Anteks. I have about 8 of them in various builds now and they have been performing well. The only “funny” thing here was the behavior of the diodes when not connected to the caps. I wasn’t expecting that. I really appreciate all the shared knowledge to help people like me along who are learning more and more from the community every day. Thank you!

Hey, we are all learning something. Bridges produce a slight voltage drop. I got it!

The funny thing about the Anteks is the spec.

Most transformers that I investigate have secondary voltage designations that are low with respected to load. My Triads for instance.

From what I can see an Antek that produced a measured no-load voltage on the secondary of 32VAC would be named a 32-0-32 rather than the 24-0-24 volts of the Triad I tested. That's an important thing to know especially if a project calls for a 22-0-22 without specifying the manufacturer and the raw supply is feeding regulators that require more than a couple of volts to work properly.

By the way, did you install the bleeders too? I believe they would act as a pre-load load and yield a bit of a voltage drop too.

I've read that advanced regulators might benefit from such a pre-load too so that they perform better as source and sink of the variations they are intended to compensate for.

Very nice build itsikhefez. I like how you kept the wires nice and short. Any issues with hum or noise during your build process or was it quiet from the beginning? I’m about to start soldering on the Pearl 2 boards.

Thanks! The issue of noise/hiss/hum is likely dependent on how much gain you have in your system and how sensitive your speakers are.

When the volume knob is set at a loud listening level, there is no noise/hum. You would need to put your ear physically on the tweeter to hear some hiss.
If you crank the volume all the way (no music playing...), then there is some audible hiss and a vague hum from 2-3 inches away.

So essentially, it is very quiet in my system.

@ itsikhefez, Glad to hear it's a great fit in your system. Looking forward to seeing how it pairs with everything in mine soon.

@ mhenschel, I haven't put the bleeders in yet, but will likely use something like 10K, 1/2 watt since I have some in my parts stash. So that shouldn't affect voltage much. Metal work for the psu case, cleaning up wiring, and installing LED's are next on my list. Then on to the Pearl 2 chassis and boards.

Another Pearl2 is born... have it hooked up and playing nice music.
I optimized my layout for minimal input wiring and small footprint.

Capacitance loading is adjustable with caps on pin headers.
Resistance options are 100,470 and 47K with DPDT per channel.
Chassis by Landfall systems which came out perfect.

2 final notes regarding some questions asked by myself or others recently:
1) I built the PSU exactly per Wayne's schematic with the Antek AS-0522. Connected to both boards, the unregulated supply is 29.2-29.4V.
2) I was slightly concerned with the high gain since I'm using a 4.0mV MM cart. It turned out just fine since overall I don't have high gain in my system. Preamp based on AMB alpha24 line stage with 5x (15dB) gain, and power amp is a Benchmark AHB2 with low gain setting (9.8Vrms input sensitivity)

Wanted to close the loop and share the PSU in case its helpful for future builders.

Built per Wayne's schematic, case is Hammond 1455Q2202 with FPE panels.

Cable is 20AWG hookup wire. Use of cable gland reduces some cost of connectors and work.

Attachments

• 2020-06-19 16.04.45.jpg
    2020-06-19 16.04.45.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 390
  • 2020-06-19 16.07.09.jpg
    2020-06-19 16.07.09.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 391
  • 2020-06-19 16.08.34.jpg
    2020-06-19 16.08.34.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:
Thanks! The issue of noise/hiss/hum is likely dependent on how much gain you have in your system and how sensitive your speakers are.

When the volume knob is set at a loud listening level, there is no noise/hum. You would need to put your ear physically on the tweeter to hear some hiss.
If you crank the volume all the way (no music playing...), then there is some audible hiss and a vague hum from 2-3 inches away.

So essentially, it is very quiet in my system.

I like your build and it's similar to mine in the size of the case and the close quarters of the wiring and boards, although your's is way nicer :)

When I turn up the volume slightly passed normal listening level, I get hiss and hum that I can hear 3 feet from the speakers. My cart is .3mv and I have the Pearl set up at 65db of gain, is that too much and causing the issue? I think I am getting some voltage issues because when I switch to another input on my receiver from the Pearl input I get a loud squeaking noise.

Last edited:
There are a few variables here, I can't say for sure why yours would be noisier.
To start, we both may have different "normal listening levels", so our baseline to inspect the level of hiss could be different.

Mine is built with 55dB, so the extra gain could contribute as well. If you have sufficient range in your volume put with 65dB (say, if you are at mid-level with your preamp at normal listening levels), then it would be worth a shot bringing the Pearl down to 55dB.

Lastly, the RN55D resistors mentioned in the PDF and in the sample BOM are 100ppm.
Wanye wrote in the Pearl documentation:
Phono stage design is difficult to do well. Everything matters. Any low level phenomenon occurring in the parts of a phono stage shows up greatly amplified at the loudspeaker. <snipped>
The problems are different than for power amplifiers – problems due to resistor noise, ...
Trying to address this, I went with RN55E (25ppm) resistors, and RN55C (50ppm) where "E" was not available.
Now, I wouldn't recommend replacing your resistors and I have no idea if this actually makes a difference, but I thought it would be worth pointing out for future builders when starting from scratch.

Last edited:
PSU working!

Got the PSU up and running this weekend,
+ & - 30.5 unloaded, I’m using the antek AS0522 transformer and the store universal PSU.

My CRC resistors are 10R, can drop the resistance if I need a bit more voltage at the regulators once it’s loaded by the pearl boards.

Thanks for all the help so far!

attachment.php

Attachments

• 94E4B230-235C-480F-AD03-4CA1BA79E865.jpeg
    94E4B230-235C-480F-AD03-4CA1BA79E865.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 623
However, it is sounds like the same problem I had with my buddy's Pearl 2, which sounds totally fine with his table and cart (Sota + Grado). Mine is a Rega Planar 6 with an Ortofon blue. I have 47k on r19, tried 100pF, 150pf and omitting c22, r15 is jumped, c13 is jumped, c8 omitted, c21 omitted, c7 omitted. I checked all the pads for solder bridges. Power supply puts out a steady exact +/-31V. The offset is as close to 0v as I can get it (hovers between +/- 1 mV). R4 and R33 read +/- 23.9v, respectively.
What is going on? Feeling pretty frustrated.

C7 was mentioned to cause some instability and is recommended to not populate.
C21 though.... have not seen anything to omit that.
C21 is in the BOM as a 22uF ELNA Silmic II, maybe thats your issue.

The only other caps potentially omitting would be the output caps in case you do the R14 mod and are sure of ~0mV DC

Last edited: