Buffalo III upgraded with ES9028Pro

Started over again.

C:\Users\Richard\Documents\Arduino\libraries\UTFT\UTFT.cpp:76:63: note: #pragma message: Compiling for Arduino Due (AT91SAM3X8E)...

#pragma message("Compiling for Arduino Due (AT91SAM3X8E)...")

^

In file included from C:\Users\Richard\Documents\Arduino\libraries\extEEPROM-3.3.5\extEEPROM.cpp:59:0:

C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\sam\1.6.11\libraries\Wire\src/Wire.h: In member function 'byte extEEPROM::read(long unsigned int, byte*, unsigned int)':

C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\sam\1.6.11\libraries\Wire\src/Wire.h:50:10: note: candidate 1: uint8_t TwoWire::requestFrom(int, int)

uint8_t requestFrom(int, int);

^

C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\sam\1.6.11\libraries\Wire\src/Wire.h:47:10: note: candidate 2: uint8_t TwoWire::requestFrom(uint8_t, uint8_t)

uint8_t requestFrom(uint8_t, uint8_t);

^

Archiving built core (caching) in: C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_393879\core\core_arduino_sam_arduino_due_x_dbg_75a3b1ce1dddac1c1189025c29392140.a
Sketch uses 257776 bytes (49%) of program storage space. Maximum is 524288 bytes.

Moved to desktop. Get this same messages. It looks like it compiles though.

C:\Users\Richard\Documents\Arduino\libraries\UTFT\UTFT.cpp:76:63: note: #pragma message: Compiling for Arduino Due (AT91SAM3X8E)...

#pragma message("Compiling for Arduino Due (AT91SAM3X8E)...")

^

In file included from C:\Users\Richard\Documents\Arduino\libraries\extEEPROM-3.3.5\extEEPROM.cpp:59:0:

C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\sam\1.6.11\libraries\Wire\src/Wire.h: In member function 'byte extEEPROM::read(long unsigned int, byte*, unsigned int)':

C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\sam\1.6.11\libraries\Wire\src/Wire.h:50:10: note: candidate 1: uint8_t TwoWire::requestFrom(int, int)

uint8_t requestFrom(int, int);

^

C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\sam\1.6.11\libraries\Wire\src/Wire.h:47:10: note: candidate 2: uint8_t TwoWire::requestFrom(uint8_t, uint8_t)

uint8_t requestFrom(uint8_t, uint8_t);

^

Archiving built core (caching) in: C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_895972\core\core_arduino_sam_arduino_due_x_dbg_75a3b1ce1dddac1c1189025c29392140.a
Sketch uses 257776 bytes (49%) of program storage space. Maximum is 524288 bytes.

Rn02Ao.jpg

p60lAz.jpg

kObmQv.jpg

NZpmXk.jpg

azLmvd.jpg

Dear diyaudio friends
Firstly thanks so much dimitris help and understanding. This is my dac prototype. I using diyinhk board... es90228pro crystek cchd 950-25-100 AD797 Xmos 768khz spdif unit for coax and toslink... Regulators for 3,3V quad LT3045 3.3v 0,56uV noise, LT3042 2x12v for ad797. 2 R core transformers. for digital and analog..
Firstly İ began dimistris universal signal isolator and wring lcd.. ı made a pcb for lcd connect... Dimitris was prepare code area for universal remote control. I using apple remote control...Diyinhk boar address chip set 1 so ı changed software address chip x48 to x49... I have problem select spdif input bcoz diyinhk using for spdif D8 D7 and D6. Dimitris says me new values and i change and now it is working... When ı listening dsd256 and dsd512 my screen is write only dsd64... I change sample rate value bcoz when dac play dsd256 arduiono doesnt calculate and write so much 0... I want to 2 encoder 1 menu and input selector 2 volume and mute... I try for this.. if i dont ı will disturb Dimitris :)sometimes when i play music and change in dpll menu, epprom reset and output be 0db... why epprom is reset ı dont understand. ı affraid change something in dpll menu when dac play music... es9028pro has really so good sound.. I have es9018s but es9028ro more good for me ... I began draw on auto cad new enclosure for my dac. as always as ı will buy from Hifi2000.. ı will share with you ... Thanks you so much Dimitris and friends
BR Sercan

Last edited:
I never bothered to ask the seller about the thermal pad since the chip was working fine and I wasn't really expecting to get a useful answer anyway.. I have no doubts that it is an ESS chip, it's probably just an "early model".

I ordered one more such chip from the same seller (before the whole thermal pad issue came up) and the one that got here had the thermal pad and displayed the proper identification code. It now lives on a (very happy) friend's upgraded Buffalo II.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Buffalo_II_9028_1 (Medium).jpg
    Buffalo_II_9028_1 (Medium).jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 525
Hi Dimdim,
back to the title of the thread: your friend is among the few who can compare only the ICs, do you had any feedback of 9018 vs 9028 on same PCB? Yours was fried new IIRC, so no comparison possible, right?

My friend had to swap out the Tridents for LT3042 LDOs because the Tridents couldn't keep up with the 9028 so he had to change 2 things at the same time in his setup. So a "clean" 9018 vs 9028 comparison hasn't been made by my friend.

He believes that the big improvement that he got with the new combo (9028 & LT3042) is due to both the new PS and the new DAC chip.

When my first B3 got fried I went and got a second one, so I have made a direct comparison between the 9018 and the 9028 with the same power supplies (LT3042). The 9028 is a definite step up, in almost every respect.

I believe that ESS is being way too modest when comparing the 9018 with the 9028/9038. The new chips are very different from the old one, and much improved in practically every way.

I would add a similar question. Dimdim you’re among the few(-ish) that can compare 9028Pro and DAM1021. I know they completely different beasts and even technologies, but which one do you prefer? Thank you

It's hard to say. My 9028 is very much under development, since it has a new output stage (the Mercury) which I can say hasn't even got a proper burn-in yet, its power supply (Salas SSLV1.1) needs to have its CCS current adjusted for the Mercury, I'm planning to swap the 5.25V Salas SSLV1.1 for a Salas Ref-D, I also have Ian's FIFO reclocker to integrate, along with my own design of a combo high-grade XMOS USB receiver / s/pdif receiver, with its own power supplies. So it has a way to go.. it's sitting on the floor of my lab with wires sticking out of it.

I've had the DAM for more than 2 years but it's still getting incremental upgrades. The Salas SSLV1.1 that powers it is about to be upgraded, its XMOS receiver too (with my design), plus Soren is close to giving out a new firmware that will support 4K taps for the FIR filter.

But as things are right now, I really can't pick one of the two. The DAM is better at rendering classical and Jazz, plus anything heavy on vocals, but the Buffalo with the 9028 is a very dynamic sounding beast, that closed the gap that existed with the DAM in the vocals department. I'm looking forward to listening to it with Ian's FIFO.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
My friend had to swap out the Tridents for LT3042 LDOs because the Tridents couldn't keep up with the 9028 so he had to change 2 things at the same time in his setup. So a "clean" 9018 vs 9028 comparison hasn't been made by my friend.

He believes that the big improvement that he got with the new combo (9028 & LT3042) is due to both the new PS and the new DAC chip.

When my first B3 got fried I went and got a second one, so I have made a direct comparison between the 9018 and the 9028 with the same power supplies (LT3042). The 9028 is a definite step up, in almost every respect.

I believe that ESS is being way too modest when comparing the 9018 with the 9028/9038. The new chips are very different from the old one, and much improved in practically every way.

You'll find similar comments posted on the Twisted Pear Buffalo IIIPro and Mercury threads. AND I've gotten similar in private communications from a number of posters here.

My BuffaloIII Pro implementations are close to being ready to play, but have been stalled by several work-related projects. Hopefully by end-of-May latest, I'll be comparing them to several other ESS DACs & my Soekris DAM1021's. My DAM1021's (slightly modified) still rule the roost in my audio systems and will get LT3045-based regs upgrades for the FPGA/clock and Sparkos for the VRefs to help them compete.

Greg in Mississippi

thank you so much guys! i understand dam1021 is still superior but 9028 is closing the gap. I was nearly decided to get one since it has everything in a board (spdif+i2s, reclocking, filters, balanced unbalanced and headphones output). i’d say it’s a very good dac for a first diyer, at a decent price. but then ian’s showing his modular approach with the 9028 and i’m wondering if i should wait for that, because it looks impressive as well.

To make it very clear - the new Trident/AVCC-SR are designed specifically to compliment the ES9028/38. There are very good reasons I selected the IC for SR regs that I did - it's not all about the noise figure. Load regulation and output impedance are actually critical - and I spent a lot of time choosing between options based on how well they actually worked in practice. :) Older trident (non SR) are definitely not ideal for the wide demands of the newer chips. So in short - if you are either upgrading a B2-3 or using the B3-Pro - Tident-SR/AVCC-SR are very carefully designed for the task.