Brilliancy in Sport, Your favourite moments

Another interesting Horserace at Newmarket today:

Adayar Horse 2.jpg

Why should you care?

Well, Adayar (in the Red cap and Blue Shirt) is a previous Epsom Derby (2021) winner! The Greatest Test of a horse, IMO.

Class 1 because it is top rated horses, Group 2 because the money is less than exciting. But I shall be surprised if Adayar doesn't win it. :)

As Ian Chappell tells it, Sir Garfield had some personal issues which put him in a bad mood for that match and he took it out on the bowlers! The MCG is a slow pitch and the boundaries are long; on any other ground it would have been 300.

Ian says that Sobers is the best cricketer he's ever seen.

Geoff

Joined 2005
Paid Member
The Marcus Allen super bowl run from 1983. I met Marcus a couple months after the super bowl at the offence, defence football camp at U.C. riverside. I was an aspiring qb, wide receiver and safety, I was 12. The Raiders had always been my favorite team (my dads favorite team) and Marcus my favorite player since his years at usc, I wore his usc jersey daily in 5th grade. He drove up in a black Ferrari 308, most of the other players went right for him, but I ran straight for the dorms and my sport illustrated super bowl edition with Marcus on the cover, hoping I could get it autographed. By the time I returned he was gone. Later that day though I saw him on the sidelines as I was participating in a scrimmage playing wide out. With him looking on I sprinted off the line (I was not super fast but had pretty good hands) I faked inside and ran a flag route to the left pylon. I had beaten my defender with the fake and it was just up to the qb to throw it in the right spot, no guarantee in pop warner football. This time the ball was on the money and I leapt extending my right hand at full stretch and caught the ball just inside the pylon for a touchdown. It was a pretty spectacular moment in the camp both for the throw and the catch. Marcus came over to me!! to congratulate me for the catch and I somehow remembered to ask him for him to autograph my sports illustrated and my jersey too!! Pretty much a dream come true for a kid.

I think I must be some sort of Genius when it comes to the Horses!
Then I'm thinking this is a perfect time to donate to diyAudio commensurate with your genius. A lot of time, yes a huge amount of volunteer time goes into running this place, not to mention the money involved and it would be very kind of you to donate some of this horse genius to a forum of which you use a platform Steve.
I will ask them to be ready for your donation. I know you will do the right thing to support all those volunteers.

Reactions: 1 user
Then I'm thinking this is a perfect time to donate to diyAudio commensurate with your genius. A lot of time, yes a huge amount of volunteer time goes into running this place, not to mention the money involved and it would be very kind of you to donate some of this horse genius to a forum of which you use a platform Steve.
I will ask them to be ready for your donation. I know you will do the right thing to support all those volunteers.
Mr. Cal, I too have worked hard to keep the Internet a reasonably honest place.

I always enjoyed Adequacy.org as a site with a great deal of Irony:

Adequacy.org.jpg

As for money, well if you are in trouble I can probably rustle up a few Bucks;

DSCN0854.JPG

But I hope you can survive the odd financial crisis. We call these "Black Swan" events. Do not panic.

Last edited:
Australian wicket keeper/batsman Adam Gilchrist, second fastest Test century after Sir Vivian Richards:

Gilchrist didn't have the intimidating power and swagger of the 'Master Blaster', but he really went after the bowling on this occasion - and he'd scored a duck in the first innings!

Geoff

It was a pretty good knock @GeoffMillar! But he wasn't under any pressure really. Aussie were well ahead at he time.

They say a good batsman uses his top hand better than most, and you can see it there, as you can with Sir Vivian's excellent knock.

But it's funny that so many wicket-keepers can be such good battters. They must have terrific eyes and reaction times.

FWIW, the records have been exceeded recently:

Fastest Test 100.png

England had a pretty quick-scoring day today against Oz in the Cricket. Then 95 mph bowler Mark Wood took 3 Aussie wickets cheaply on what is still a good pitch.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/66272608

But all is not lost for Oz. Why, well for one thing the awful wet Manchester weather is closing in on Saturday, and looks iffy for Sunday:

Weather Saturday Manchester England.jpg

I have never seen the Aussies look so battered. Aussie skipper Pat Cummins seemed to have lost it completely.

Bazballed!

Last edited:
I presume that Saturday's Manchester game at Cricket will be a washout.

However, forever the optimist, I am looking forwards to the England Football Lionesses first game against Haiti.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/66157453

What is not to like about Alessia Russo?

Alessia Russo Arsenal F.C.jpg

We all have always been great Gunners fans in my family. Come on you Arsenal! London's best club. :)

Last edited:
They can exceed human speeds by about 40%.
I wasn't talking about speed, I was talking about endurance.

Plenty of research can be found why human beings beat almost any animal when it comes to long term endurance.

Here some ideas;

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/cphy.c140011

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32602586/

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...tter-endurance-runners-than-any-other-animal/

https://physoc.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1113/EP088502

So I am most certainly not spreading disinformation at all.
I consider this to be a grow-up moment to do some self research before one answers. :)
(as well as read twice before answering)

Reactions: 1 user
But I must question your research:

Surely, John Wayne (Quirt Evans) would have just have jumped off his Horse, and run away from the Posse if he thought it would have improved his life chances?

No, he met Penelope Worth, and everything ended up happily.

Penny Worth.jpg

Of course, fictional nonsense. But TRUE at some level. And respect for replying.

:)

Quite a few brilliant moments in this year's Tour de France.

Even if you're not a follower of the sport, how about this guy:

The Guardian's Barry Glendenning: "Matej Mohoric (Bahrain Victorious) won yesterday’s superb stage by a whisker and gave what, for my money, was one of the best “post-match” interviews by any sportsman or woman that I have ever seen.

"Although he was close to exhaustian and speaking in his second or third language, the Slovenian’s thoughtfulness, generosity of spirit, humility and raw honesty were enough to bring a tear to a glass eye, while his account of the torture he and his fellow riders put themselves through on a daily basis also helped make him plenty of new friends, even among those on social media who have no interest in cycling. His words really seem to have struck a collective chord in and outside the Tour bubble."