Brilliancy in Sport, Your favourite moments

After all the nonsense of the Women's World Soccer Cup, we are back to Serious Sport!

Horse Racing:

The Juddmonte 15.35.png

TBH, I can't see past Paddington for this Million Pound Race!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/race/EHRP1241115

I am slightly worried about Mostahdaf, but Aidan O'Brien looks confident:

Paddington set for the win.jpg

My advice is to just follow it. Don't put money on it. Horse Racing is a Mug's Game. Da Bookies always win.

A point to consider (maybe): when does 'sport' become 'business', and does it matter anyway? Does it affect your enjoyment of the event(s)?

Are there 'sports' which are now more about the money than the competition or participation? Have sports where there's a lot of money involved been adversely affected, or even ruined by the dominance of the $$?

Looking at, say, Formula One racing, honestly you would have to say that it's really been a a business for many years, with tens, if not hundreds of millions, involved. Thank goodness it's the safest it's ever been.

Before sponsorship came into it in 1969 (I think) teams wore 'national' colours and sponsors' decals were prohibited. I think Lotus started it all with their 'John Player Gold Leaf' livery? Arguably, drivers' skills were more important than the car, so Jack Brabham and Jackie Stewart could win championships with what was clearly not the fastest car of the season.

My conclusion? F1 is now a business and the races as dull as can be: David Mitchell once described it as "televised traffic".

Then, you look at the corgi race above: no money or real prize, just pure fun.

Geoff