Bob Cordell's Super Gain Clone PCB (LM3886) and a stripped-down version: Compact3886

Perfect activity for a Sunday.

Thanks Mark!!!!

Attachments

• Audiophile-Cordell-3886_0001.jpg
    Audiophile-Cordell-3886_0001.jpg
    748.9 KB · Views: 711
  • Audiophile-Inductor_0007.jpg
    Audiophile-Inductor_0007.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 717
Joined 2011
Paid Member
It's just me. I prefer to have the pot resistance far far below the input impedance of the amplifier; it reduces thermal noise (which is proportional to sqrt(R)) and it maintains the pot manufacturer's "taper" (resistance vs rotation percentage) because the input impedance doesn't load the pot. If you don't share this preference, feel free to use whatever pot you like.

Thanks Mark. I had a suspicion the pot would interact with the other input components
but wanted to better understand the situation (plus I had a couple of 50K Alps pots on hand..). Is there a specific value for the SGC you'd recommend?
I use a volume pot on my amps because my experience tells me there may always be a situation where I need to drop the volume in a hurry and also because I've given amps as graduation gifts and as such I can't control what gets used as a source.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Pot resistance has mostly to do with your sources rather than what’s downstream of it... if you don’t have any tube sources then 10K or 25k is great, if you have tube components you should think of having 100k or more.

50k is a great compromise value and if you have it, use it.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I striped out a different project from my test chassis and hooked up the compact 3886 (with a slightly earlier revision PSU.) It is quiet, works and sounds fantastic, even with the less than optimal wiring and layout that used a lot of preexisting holes. :) :) :)

I'm very pleased. :yes:

Anybody else have one built? I'm going to build up the super gain clone as well as the compact and have them in much better looking chassis than this one.

Attachments

• IMG_2681.jpg
    IMG_2681.jpg
    705.5 KB · Views: 738
  • IMG_2682.jpg
    IMG_2682.jpg
    850.9 KB · Views: 741
  • IMG_2683.jpg
    IMG_2683.jpg
    869.4 KB · Views: 645
In the spirit of "use what you have" I found these 4.75 x 8" sinks that I must have ordered as extra at some point (also IEC from Whammy kit!)... Seems like they will be perfect for making a tidy amp about 14.5" wide—the donut in the pic IS the recommended Antek—but it's too tall for 4.75" tall chassis so I sourced a 150VA 2x22 that will fit the chassis on an L bracket. Top, bottom and back will be 3mm sheet aluminum—I'll add some holes for airflow—maybe even have them CNCd... front will be wood based... Not sure yet of look....

And I need to buckle down and figure out how to set the Klever Klipper! One of the many reasons I wanted to build this—more learning!

Also making good use of the the L brackets from the BOM!

attachment.php

Attachments

• Cordell-Progress_01.jpg
    Cordell-Progress_01.jpg
    712.9 KB · Views: 808
Last edited by a moderator:
turn off crack

With Mark's help, thank you, I/we have dealt to my turn-on thump and turn-off pop.
I installed Mark's suggested new/altered mute circuit components and I'm a happy camper.
This is one sweet sounding amp.
t

Mark,

Can you elaborate on the work around that you and dhsittim came up with for this problem? I'm experiencing the same problem several seconds (4 - 5) after I power the amp down. There is no turn on thump however.