29.8 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
I typed a simplified model in the microcap of the Hafler HD-220 amplifier
Microcap has an injector for measuring loop gain and stability margins
Here are some test results

Bob, What do you think of these tests
Jean Hiraga Super Class A 30w Build

Hi Petr,

Nice work! These plots look about right.

I wasn't quite sure about what is being portrayed in the 4th plot. Is it a SMPTE IM distortion test? Can you say a few more words about it?

Cheers,
Bob

The generator signal starts working at 400 kHz and then the frequency decreases in 10% steps. The test ends with a frequency of 10 Hz.

Analysis settings

The circle indicates the number of periods for each frequency. In this case, I used only 2 periods. In some amplifiers, even 10 periods are not enough due to long transient processes.

Petr
best regards

Attachments

• Hiraga-AB_Lateral_THD_vs_frequency_SCH.png
    Hiraga-AB_Lateral_THD_vs_frequency_SCH.png
    79.2 KB · Views: 143
  • Hiraga-AB_Lateral_THD_vs_frequency_settings.png
    Hiraga-AB_Lateral_THD_vs_frequency_settings.png
    60.3 KB · Views: 130
  • Hiraga-AB_Lateral_THD_vs_frequency.png
    Hiraga-AB_Lateral_THD_vs_frequency.png
    86.8 KB · Views: 104
The smaller the signal amplitude, the greater the relative level of speed distortion. For example, when the signal amplitude goes from 15 V to 4 V (1 Watt, node 2), the peak value of the speed distortion is 0.25 V or 6.25%! While harmonic distortion at 20 kHz does not exceed 0.002% with an output power of 1 watt. And in node 3 it is almost three times more! And this is in an amplifier with no capacitor C1, the signal propagation delay time is only 200 ns.

Attachments

• 05_Apex_HD50_speed-error.png
    05_Apex_HD50_speed-error.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 95
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Petr, I am not Bob but try to understand this. It seems that you are taking the 2nd derivative of the signal. It is not clear to me why you call that 'distortion'; it is an inherent property of the signal.

Do you mean that this 2nd derivative is different for different amplifiers, and that this gives information about the performance of the amplifier? If that is what you mean, maybe you should take this 2nd derivative from different amplifiers and compare that.

My hunch is that the difference of 2nd derivatives between amplifiers have a lot to do with the amplifier bandwidth. Also, to judge the performance for audio, the input signal should first be run through an input low pass filter at, say, 30kHz or so.

But I may be wrong.

Jan

Jan, what about Bob? He is healthy?
Do you agree with the statement of Kyrill Hammer?
Can you distinguish the difference between distortion in steady state operation and when the signal frequency or amplitude changes?
Filter processing softens the effect of speed distortion, but does not eliminate it. If the amplifier had enough bandwidth of 30 kHz with an output voltage slew rate of 5 V / μs, then today amplifiers with a bandwidth of 5 MHz and higher would not be designed.
Personally, I agree with Kyrill Hammer and with my tests I try to show that he is right, that's all.

Attachments

• 07_Apex_HD50_speed-error-2&filter.png
    07_Apex_HD50_speed-error-2&filter.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Cyrill_Hammer_AmpDesignerRoundtable2012.pdf
    509 KB · Views: 112
The smaller the signal amplitude, the greater the relative level of speed distortion...

Thank you. That is very interesting. It reminds me of the problem encountered by some DAC designers, which is the ESS 'hump' distortion. A time domain capture of the distortion posted by Scott Wurcer is attached below.

EDIT: In the case of DACs and for the measurement below, although the test signal was not supposed to be changing, the DAC modulator tends to more or less randomize and redistribute the frequency spectrum of noise. Could be the ESS modulator is doing something funny at times to case a speed distortion effect in the I/V opamp.

Attachments

• 9018g Hump Distortion Graph.jpg
    9018g Hump Distortion Graph.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 112
Last edited: