Bob Cordell's Power amplifier book

YWN

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
If you read how I "do" it .. I underbias the op on PURPOSE (you can see the glitches) to both see and hear TMC's effect. Afterwards , I bring my bias back up to normal.
OS

Hi ostripper, I understand now. Your experiment proves that TMC works, which I don't think anybody here is debating. How could you though estimate the improvement over other compensation methods? Was the Miller compensation still leaving the crossover glitches visible? If so, then as far as your amp quality is concerned you have a much larger matzo ball than TMC in your hands.I have to get Douglas Self article, otherwise I am really surprised, so much ego driven discussions around who's who and who did what about TMC and nobody took the time to breadboard a TMC compensated Blameless, optimize it, and compare the optimized results to standard Miller and two pole compensations having with the same unity loop gain frequency. No Audio Precision is required, all you need is a decent sound card.Never mind, I'll do it myself asap.

Last edited:
Edmond,
I'm not sure whether you're talking in general or specifically about TMC. In case of the latter, TMC does exactly the opposite. It increases the loop gain, or more precisely, it 'frees' some loop gain (and further linearize the system), which stays 'hidden' and unused in case of ordinary Miller compensation.
I don`t understand that description.
Look, I have nothing against TMC but it is explicitly inappropriate to talk about distortion reduction.

I just want to add my voice to the chorus of praise for Bob's book -- I got my copy yesterday, and it is the best work on the subject I've seen -- ever. Thanks, Bob for the hard work, great insights, and clear presentation. It is a joy. I haven't been so pleased with a tech book since my first copy of the GE Transistor Manual -- and that's a really long time.

Hi Richiem,

Thank you very, very much. The book being received like this makes it all worth it. I am truly glad that you are happy with it. That tells me I have met a very big part of my goal.

Thanks!
Bob

"Cherry's" output inclusive compensation is used on a few commerical products - the TDA7293 MOSFET output chip amp and the LT1028 family op amp - despite any problems it may have with audio power output BJT

Cherry did claim any such problems were due to local feedback at the output device and at least implied that they could be corrected there

I'd be very interested to see schematics if you have them.

Hi Bob

Hi Doug,
Given his resistor value, it appears clear that his compensation was not behaviorally the same as the TMC that you implemented. What say you to my observation about the VAS no longer acting as a Miller integrator by the time Baxandall's transition occurs?

I think Pete Basel has nailed it; 680R is what was meant. Peter was one of the great audio designers of the twentieth century, but I am sure he would have been the first to admit that he was not completely infallible. I vote typo.

Last edited:
I don't have any special "inside" knowledge

the LT1028 datasheet shows the simplified internal circuit at the bottom, the over-compensation C is added from the output to the "final VAS" Q23 base - there is an "extra" diff pair gain stage in the middle so there are multiple compensation loops

the TDA7293/4 both have the text in the datasheet:

"A significant aid in keeping the distortion contributed
by the final stage as low as possible is provided
by the compensation scheme, which exploits
the direct connection of the Miller capacitor
at the amplifier’s output to introduce a local AC
feedback path enclosing the output stage itself."

Last edited:
I don't have any special "inside" knowledge

the LT1028 datasheet shows the simplified internal circuit at the bottom, the over-compensation C is added from the output to the "final VAS" Q23 base - there is an "extra" diff pair gain stage in the middle so there are multiple compensation loops

the TDA7293/4 both have the text in the datasheet:

"A significant aid in keeping the distortion contributed
by the final stage as low as possible is provided
by the compensation scheme, which exploits
the direct connection of the Miller capacitor
at the amplifier’s output to introduce a local AC
feedback path enclosing the output stage itself."

It looks like they "nailed it" !!

It certainly is. The necessary decrease in (the already poor) bandwidth means an increase in distortion. In the fabulous realm of simulation it is obviously different but has nothing to do with physical reality.

I deal in reality (below) , TMC has NOT resulted in ANY performance decrease in amps that I know "inside and out" (Blameless and beta enhanced balanced VAS -symasym). Scope shots and all are soon to come !! The "fabulous world of simulation" can come scary close to the real thing provided the proper models. :)
OS

Attachments

• real.jpg
    real.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 402
It states what it states, period.

Baxandall's statement includes the words "or" and "perhaps" leaving it open to interpretation. If you really wish to take the statement literally he says turn the pot to maximum or open the circuit which suggests my interpretation. He would have written that maximum approximates an open circuit if that was what he intended.

What is clear however, is that his intent was to provide TMC and it is illogical to believe that he was unable to determine component values that worked as his description intended.

Last edited:
I am really enjoying this TMC discussion however I wish it was a dedicated thread just to keep this one about Bob's book and to make it easier to find the TMC discussion. Would also like to see the ETMC discussion in Bob's negative feedback thread moved to an ETMC dedicated thread.

Very good , It is infantile to debate whether it works. Move on to how to apply it (better) and to other topologies. It was still good to see it's history /origin(s).
Why not have a TMC/ETMC combined thread (compensation in general as well).
This topic will benefit more members (and non-burning/better sounding amps as well :) ).
OS

If it was indeed 680 Ohms, then you will never get visible glitches if you increase the resistor by 50% (to 1k), and certainly not at a (pretty high!) transition frequency of 1 to 2MHz. Moreover, even 300kHz or so will do. Sorry, that alleged typo is nonsense.

I fully agree with that. That was his intent, at least.

If we accept both of your statements as truths it requires the belief that Baxandall lacks the ability to select proper component values - something I find absurd given his obvious talent. This leads to my opinion that it was a typo.

Very good , It is infantile to debate whether it works. Move on to how to apply it (better) and to other topologies. It was still good to see it's history /origin(s).
Why not have a TMC/ETMC combined thread (compensation in general as well).
This topic will benefit more members (and non-burning/better sounding amps as well :) ).
OS

I also liked seeing the history. I prefer independent threads because these threads get so long that it will just help to keep the discussion on point. They are independent now, so it is also probably easier.

Please, don't misunderstand me. I'm NOT striving to "take a slant on his writeup", instead, to reconstruct the history of TMC and to find an explanation why TMC didn't catch on much, much earlier. Added to this that, by then, D.S. wasn't impressed by the results, this gives enough ground to assume that Baxandall's version of TMC was NOT equivalent to its present form. That's what I (and a few others) are trying to make clear.

I too am interested in the history and it is clear that Baxandall got the topology and the verbal description of the functionality right. If one suggested resistor value throws it all off, my point is that it is probably a typo or not well thought out, but it does not make all of his work different or wrong. One would be expected to try different values in a prototype (or compute them based on further analysis) in order to provide behavior that matches what is described in the text.

It is clearly documented on this site that you found a good optimization of the values and certainly you should get credit for it.

Last edited:
I just want to add my voice to the chorus of praise for Bob's book -- I got my copy yesterday, and it is the best work on the subject I've seen -- ever. Thanks, Bob for the hard work, great insights, and clear presentation. It is a joy. I haven't been so pleased with a tech book since my first copy of the GE Transistor Manual -- and that's a really long time.

Nice work on the IG-18s, HP-334A, etc. on your website! Home