bipolar (BJT) transistor families for audio power output stages

The major difference between TTC5200 and 2SC5200 is the Cob (145 pF typ. <-> 200 pF typ.) Also, there isn't any "ranking" for TTC5200 while 2SC5200 has two (R: hfe range 55-110, O: hfe range 80-160). You certainly want to use "O" rank of 2SC5200 to replace TTC5200. When using 2SC5200, you may see a decrease in the full power bandwidth, hence an increase in high frequency THD. Other than that, I think the amplifier will just work as expected. Good luck!

Best,
Satoru

Hi Guys
the reason why i wanted to change these transistors its because if i play my amp @ 4 OHMS load ...it makes a funny distorted and clicking Sound on the low frequency whether its on parallel/bridge or stereo mode or even cut off to protection mode when played. but on 8OHMS it plays fine. please help. i will try to upload some pics.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Sanken "LAPT" (Large Area Parallel Transistor) in genuine Version wanted

I need for repair of a Sony TA-N 55ES (with STK3102-III in use at the front-end) a pair 2SA1295/2SC3264 or 2SA1216/2SC2922.
To avoid additional issues and repeated failures causes counterfeits and copies (known not to be seen from outside) I want to know a delivery source, where it is ensured to get genuine SANKEN versions and not any copies from ISC etc.
An ordering address in Germany would be the best.

Check out also this images in this case:
http://sound.westhost.com/fake/counterfeit-p2.htm
http://www.amplabs.co.uk/Transistor fakes.htm
http://rocketsciencecanada.com/Electronics/Transistors.asp
Thank you for advices.

Last edited:
I need for repair of a Sony TA-N 55ES (with STK3102-III in use at the front-end) a pair 2SA1295/2SC3264 or 2SA1216/2SC2922.
To avoid additional issues and repeated failures causes counterfeits and copies (known not to be seen from outside) I want to know a delivery source, where it is ensured to get genuine SANKEN versions and not any copies from ISC etc.

Check out also this images in this case:
Counterfeit Transistors
Fake Devices
Transistors
Thank you for advices.

How about an address accross the channel. Go here Power-Complementary

Reliable and no fakes here.

A friend of mine gave me a bag of Old version of 2SA1170 and 2SC2774 original sankens...He said that it was more reliable than the A1216 and c2922 which are leaky according to him.

These are not LAPT's but same power rating. I didn't tried these ones yet but those are 8 pairs are reseved for my triple darlington amp which keep busting a1216 and c2922.

If you want many pairs just PM me.

TO-3 Power transistors for older amplifiers

Thank you for advices.

Hello tiefbassuebertr / jacco vermeulen,

Where can I find TO-3 output power transistors with specs as:

min. 130V / min. 15A / min. ft 8 mHz for repair of several vintage amplifiers like B12 luxman, NAD 3080, M12 Luxman and others... together with a lot of DIY projects.

Delivered from Germany or UK.

TO-3 or 204AA is the same "house"?.....if I uses TO-3 power transistors with lower ft for repair, then the factory specifications is changed?...do I reach the same sound quality by use of lower ft TO-3 transistors like MJ15003/4 ft 2 mHz?

Thanks , Gudmund

Elektor used the 250W BJT devices in the Q-watt audio power amp module. No issues that I am aware of but do not know anyone that built one either.
I am presently putting together my OPC LME49830 + Semelab (ALF16P16W/ALF16N16W) Lateral MOSFET wire amp, so I will find out very shortly.
I got the semelab devices from Farnell when they were on sale.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Who have experiences with Magnatec power devices from Semelab?
If you are familiar with Exicon house brand Latfets from Profusion plc, then you will also know the OEM Alfet latfets from Magnatech/Semelab.
They are the same Semelab products, with different spec. part numbers. Exicon use peak current rating, Magnatech use maximum continuous rating but if you check the datasheets, you'll see the product range is similar and specs are identical.
e.g. EXICON ECF10N20 = ALFET 08N20K

Last edited:

I looked at the BJT power transistors, The PNP is the limiting factor. Only 35MHz. from looking at the Hfe graph, I don't see advantage over the common MJL3281/1302.

From my understanding, it's not the max current and highest power rating that is important. Flat Hfe with higher current is more important. I never understand why need a 200W transistor as we never try to run close to that ( of cause you have to calculate the derating with increase T). I don't understand why people don't just use more pairs of power transistor and use the more common and cheaper transistors. I would use 5 pair of transistor to take all the requirements out of it.

I don't understand why people don't just use more pairs of power transistor and use the more common and cheaper transistors.

Less devices take up less space, less mounting hardware, less labor.
Thermal wise, 3 pairs of 130W devices are a better choice than 2 pairs of 200W transistors in an identical package, but how many will consider that of relevance ?

(the 24-device output stage Pass A75 I built with TO-220 MOSFETs did 25 cents per 75W device. I doubt I will ever score a 200W power transistor for 67 cents or less, provided it's not total junk)