bipolar (BJT) transistor families for audio power output stages

an amplifier is never better than its open-loop.

False. Once again you don't know the matter about you're speaking. And you, plainly, don't know how feedback really work. Your knowlege of fact is purely "audio ideological", not really based on engineering experience.

Piercarlo

PS - I imagine that you think about electronic engineers (especially those designing audio appliances) as stupid monkeys severely jammed in brain for not being able to grasp your "subjective poor quality and high (subjective?) distortion, even if it´s beyond measurement boundaries, no matter how many chapters are written in support of the opposite".

But pheraps the real question is that "subjective quality" is not a measurable entity (even if it would exist out of your mind and your imagination), otherwise it immediately ceased to be "subjective" for becoming "objective", hence searchable, investigable and measurable.

Because this DON'T happen, what should think anyone about this "mistery?" That's playng an awful "conjure of silence" as someone thoughed many years ago about UFOs? Or maybe phreraps that "audio subjective quality" (poor or not poor as you prefer it) is, out of one's personal beliefs, a technical "non-entity" which cannot be measured because, physically, there's nothing to be meaured?

I use often the blameless amplifier topology (to modify existing amplifiers) for driving low frequency transducers, because I get a very tight and clean bass reproduction. Regarded the upper frequency range the poor subjective quality I also always observe, because I hear harshness by reproduction of voices e. g. Pure class-A concepts with only local NFB are clearly better there (e. g. the ZEN or Aleph topology). To use the blameless amplifier topology for full range applications isn't a royal way, except I prefer only rock music or very hard techno beats and no acoustical jazz or classic.

That you have observed at least is not "a subjective poor quality..." etc. etc. but a known fact for which exist (from long time ago) a simple explain: harshing of amplifier sound start exactly from the point where, falling of NFB loop gain, drive the intrinsic distortion of circuit above noise floor that, in the same time, is worsened by increasing high frequency contributes from power supply due to the lowering of SVR ratio. On this topic may be written a well thick book with plenty of measures, data, conjectures that are anything but not subjective.

In fact the reason for worsening of sound of the many amplifiers are quite more earth bound than usually subjectivist think about. There are no problem of "timing", switching and so (or at least NOT in audible frequency band; in the region of Long and Middle Waves may be... if you can "naturally" heard those frequencies!); the most is cause by plain nonlinearities that become inefficiently neutralized by falling NFB (unavoidable if stability of circuits is to be preserverd).
The subject is a really vast field for inquiries (especially detailed ones) but none of the topics involved required any "alchemical" reasoning about Ft, switching times and so on but rather a plain technical and possibly CALM reasoning! ;)

Hi
Piercarlo

Try to design speakers with the same level of perfectionism...

What is the Ft of a paper cone? And how about a wooden enclosure?

When I think about amplifier optimization I never forget that speakers typically exhibit many +/-3dB peaks and dips across their passband (or worse) and speaker THD is hardly below 1% at moderate to high listening levels. You have to know when you should give up while trying to improve amplifiers.

Amplifiers may be fun but speakers and acoustics are really interesting challenges.

What means "almost a religious statement" ??
This term I have never heard before in this case

Piercarlo explained very well, in my opinion, but, let me try in other way: replace the technical terms of Lumba Ogir "subjectivist" statement by words used by Creationism fundamentalists and you will see they are very similar in conception.

Best regards,

Piercarlo

PS - I imagine that you think about electronic engineers (especially those designing audio appliances) as stupid monkeys severely jammed in brain for not being able to grasp your "subjective poor quality and high (subjective?) distortion, even if it´s beyond measurement boundaries, no matter how many chapters are written in support of the opposite".

QUOTE]

they are skilled people..however, they are restrained by profit margin
imperatives imposed by the financial directions..
that s why they rely on cheap tricks to make low cost production
items sound well enough, and to this purpose, vast amounts of NFB
is by far the most effective way to optimize cost/performances ratios..
nevermind the circuits have poor open loop linearity; just increase
the NFB...

Try to design speakers with the same level of perfectionism...

What is the Ft of a paper cone? And how about a wooden enclosure?

When I think about amplifier optimization I never forget that speakers typically exhibit many +/-3dB peaks and dips across their passband (or worse) and speaker THD is hardly below 1% at moderate to high listening levels. You have to know when you should give up while trying to improve amplifiers.

Amplifiers may be fun but speakers and acoustics are really interesting challenges.

This is all very true (distortion figures can be much lower but also much higher and THD is NOT the only kind of distortion that matters for the loudspeakers). Anyway even the best speaekrs are still the weak link of the chain.
But, for reasons that i cannot fully understand little changes in the amplifier make a huge impact on the sound.

The most exciting thing is to build together both the amplifier and the speaker that it will drive, making optimal synergistic choices :)

Piercarlo,

Would you explain how feedback really works, please.

I've written something. In Italian of course.

Elettronica audio - (a cura di Piercarlo Boletti): LA CONTROREAZIONE - 1A

Take a friend that knows italian and read it. Or wait for when i'll found the time for translating it (not in the near future however).

Piercarlo

PS - In the blog there are, in italian again, one two parts article about QUAD 405 that explain some thing also about feedforward (that was invented by same man that invent feedback, Harold. S. Black)

Last edited:
Piercarlo

QUOTE]

they are skilled people..however, they are restrained by profit margin
imperatives imposed by the financial directions..
that s why they rely on cheap tricks to make low cost production
items sound well enough, and to this purpose, vast amounts of NFB
is by far the most effective way to optimize cost/performances ratios..
nevermind the circuits have poor open loop linearity; just increase
the NFB...

Wahab,

You are painting audio engineers with too broad a brush. Not all engineers are constrained by profit margin, particularly most who post here, including myself. I design carefully for open-loop linearity, INCLUDING in the output stage, where it costs more money, and yet still am a strong advocate of the use of NFB for good performance (WHEN USED WISELY AND PROPERLY), including well-controlled output impedance.

You also must define it when you refer to vast amounts of NFB. Are you talking about amount of NFB at 20 kHz? This is often in the range of 20-34 dB for most amps. More often, people refer to vast amounts of NFB in regard to amount at low audio-band frequencies. But large NFB, while convenient and harmless at these frequencies, does not do much for HF distortion up around 15-20 kHz and beyond. It is at the higher frequency where the big challenge is.

If people instead just use gobs of NFB to get low distortion they can quote at 1 kHz using a poor open loop, then they are indeed using cheap tricks.

It is also true that many paint audio engineers with too broad a brush when they assert that anyone who does a thorough engineering design and does really good measurements do not do subjective listening. Indeed, many very good amplifier designers can walk and chew gum at the same time. They are not purely subjectivist or objectivist; they design, measure, listen, iterate.

Cheers,
Bob

Piercarlo,
thank you, the translation is done, seems to be well-written, I`m still reading it. Let's see if there is something of value.
But pheraps the real question is that "subjective quality" is not a measurable entity (even if it would exist out of your mind and your imagination), otherwise it immediately ceased to be "subjective" for becoming "objective", hence searchable, investigable and measurable.
Subjective judgment is not a measurable or quantifiable, taste is a matter of feeling, like everything in aesthetics, plodding away with that is naive and absurd, just a waste of time.

They are not purely subjectivist or objectivist; they design, measure, listen, iterate.

Cheers,
Bob

In other words they CORRELATE data and impressions. A thing often misunderstood is that for doing a good work it need a good knowledge about EITHER sides of problems: earing AND measuring, not earing OR measuring. A "third side" may be a strong will in searching the most simple explanation of data and phenomena without falling in simplicism often masked as "evident" things that really are not evident at all - An art by itself...

I agree totally with your post.

Hi
Piercarlo

Piercarlo,
thank you, the translation is done, seems to be well-written, I`m still reading it. Let's see if there is something of value.

My hope is that you may be stimulated to start a search for a deeper knowledge of the matter. Problems (serious problems) about NFB exist, especially those derived from its improper use; but are not those usually claimed about by many audiophiles.

Hi
Piercarlo

My hope is that you may be stimulated to start a search for a deeper knowledge of the matter. Problems (serious problems) about NFB exist, especially those derived from its improper use; but are not those usually claimed about by many audiophiles.

Hi
Piercarlo

I agree. It has long been fashionable in some parts of the audiophile community to dis negative feedback. There are often many intuitive theories put forth as to how it creates more distortion at higher orders, but when these theories are tested and measured/simulated they are found to be lacking. There is widespread mis-understanding of Baxendal's results, for example. Much of this dis-ing of NFB came about as a result of the TIM discussions in the 1970's. Many designers were naive back then and did not understand slew rate issues. Many solid state amplifiers just sounded bad because the technology was young and output transistors were poor. Feedback to some extent received guilt by association.

When NFB is properly used by good designers, the results are very good, both measurement-wise and sonically.

Having a clean open loop amplifier with good dynamic range is important to achieving good results with NFB. Those who paper over problems in the open loop with NFB will still have a poor amplifier after they close the loop. Interestingly, no-NFB amplifier designs virtually force the designer to do the right thing in the open loop, else they have a really terrible design.

Happy New Year,
Bob

I've written something. In Italian of course.

Elettronica audio - (a cura di Piercarlo Boletti): LA CONTROREAZIONE - 1A

Take a friend that knows italian and read it. Or wait for when i'll found the time for translating it (not in the near future however).

Piercarlo

PS - In the blog there are, in italian again, one two parts article about QUAD 405 that explain some thing also about feedforward (that was invented by same man that invent feedback, Harold. S. Black)

not perfect translation to english, but helpful:
Google Nachricht

Happy new year

Wahab,

You are painting audio engineers with too broad a brush. Not all engineers are constrained by profit margin, particularly most who post here, including myself. I design carefully for open-loop linearity, INCLUDING in the output stage, where it costs more money, and yet still am a strong advocate of the use of NFB for good performance (WHEN USED WISELY AND PROPERLY), including well-controlled output impedance.

You also must define it when you refer to vast amounts of NFB. Are you talking about amount of NFB at 20 kHz? This is often in the range of 20-34 dB for most amps. More often, people refer to vast amounts of NFB in regard to amount at low audio-band frequencies. But large NFB, while convenient and harmless at these frequencies, does not do much for HF distortion up around 15-20 kHz and beyond. It is at the higher frequency where the big challenge is.

If people instead just use gobs of NFB to get low distortion they can quote at 1 kHz using a poor open loop, then they are indeed using cheap tricks.

It is also true that many paint audio engineers with too broad a brush when they assert that anyone who does a thorough engineering design and does really good measurements do not do subjective listening. Indeed, many very good amplifier designers can walk and chew gum at the same time. They are not purely subjectivist or objectivist; they design, measure, listen, iterate.

Cheers,
Bob

bob, you are someone of a minority..
most sold product were japanese mass fi,
and although thanks to advanced components at the time
they had the better specifications on paper, they were often
designed to provide a good performance/price ratio for the
manufacturer..
true that japanese did know how to make good products,
though pioneer is famed and accuphase is an obscur trademark..
it tell it all..
about NFB, i say that it is good, as it s impossible without it
to design amps with good general performances..
what is annoying is that a poorly designed amp can be made
seems to work weel on paper and in static measurements, with no
respect to the fact that it has a poor transfer function
linearity in dynamic conditions with gain, phase response in
function of the signal level and frequencies being instable..
i think that the better the linearity in OL, the better the
amp global stability in CL...
anyway, as you mention it, high level of NFB is hardly achievable
at high frequencies, when it s most needed, unless we accept
compromise in the stability criterion..
60 db at 20kh seems to be a good value to tame down
the higger range odd harmonics, but personnaly, i ve got
trouble implementing it, as i look for unconditionnal stabilty first..

regards,
wahab