bipolar (BJT) transistor families for audio power output stages

I agree. It has long been fashionable in some parts of the audiophile community to dis negative feedback. There are often many intuitive theories put forth as to how it creates more distortion at higher orders, but when these theories are tested and measured/simulated they are found to be lacking. There is widespread mis-understanding of Baxendal's results, for example. Much of this dis-ing of NFB came about as a result of the TIM discussions in the 1970's. Many designers were naive back then and did not understand slew rate issues. Many solid state amplifiers just sounded bad because the technology was young and output transistors were poor. Feedback to some extent received guilt by association.

Surely it's as you have stated in the last phrase. Effectively NFB has historically suffered of many bad "synchronism" with eletronic tecnologies available in different moments. Before solid state era problems associated with existing output transformers surely have not contribute to build a good opinion of NFB because of stability issues involved... and after tube era happen the same thing but triggered by different causes: once set free from trasformers, designers thrown itself on deep diving in heavy NFB.... with not exactly enthusiastical result.

When NFB is properly used by good designers, the results are very good, both measurement-wise and sonically.

In my opinion exist again nowadays some lacks of insight about the true nature of audio amplifier (preamplifier or power don't count much, altrhough, of course, power amplifiers cope with heavily worsened handicaps than preamplifiers): these are WIDEBAND AMPLIFIERS that covers well THREE decades of frequency. This, in my opinion, is the only serious flaw of the so called "op-amp" structure: that his intimate nature, as originally conceived, is really those of a NARROW BAND amplifier where changes in voltage gain due to compensation exigences are not really important as in wideband ampliiers, where open loop falling with frequency reveal ineluctably the intimate nature of high feedback, heavily compensated amplifier, which, pheraps, if originally should be regardes as linear amplifiers, they were turned out into a first order integrator by cdom - what need to be linearized by the same negative feedback that introduced this before INEXISTENT problem.

Actually, as designers strive for reaching in their amplifiers stunning performances yet in open loop state, the true need of heavy NFB loop gain stem uniquely from the exigence of avoiding (for purely economical reasons) stabilized power supplies and substitute them with an amplifier which, at some extent, stabilize "by itself" (or better: PROTECTS by itself) its own power rails. In low end commercial amplifiers this economical movent may hold again. But otherwise, in the so called (high priced) "hi-end amplifiers" should be existing enough "budget room" for investing in a good, regulated power supply that avoid the need of heavy NFB loop gain which conduct, unavoidably, to an heavy compensated amplifier, i.e. the most unsuitable for coping with "wideband" exigences of audio amplifiers.

Having a clean open loop amplifier with good dynamic range is important to achieving good results with NFB. Those who paper over problems in the open loop with NFB will still have a poor amplifier after they close the loop. Interestingly, no-NFB amplifier designs virtually force the designer to do the right thing in the open loop, else they have a really terrible design.

I agree! :) Even from my viewpoint the best amplifier are REALLY good "no-feedback" design with a reasonable amount of NFB that "flatten out" the residual amount of non-linearity - Here for "reasonable amount" I intend comprised between 40-50 dB; a Baxandall graph that I had the opportunity of view, show clearly that so called "low-feedback" design with loop gain below 35-40 dB really WORSEN the distortion behaviour - especially from spectral distribution viewpoint - if confronted with open loop condition. A quirk from which can be derived ad interesting consideration: once we decide to use NFB, we can maximize its advantage ONLY maximizing its entity, with the only limits of not boost its value until a level where other problems rise out above.

Happy new year to you and all! :)
Piercarlo

Last edited:
...anyway, as you mention it, high level of NFB is hardly achievable
at high frequencies, when it s most needed, unless we accept
compromise in the stability criterion..
60 db at 20kh seems to be a good value to tame down
the higger range odd harmonics, but personnaly, i ve got
trouble implementing it, as i look for unconditionnal stabilty first..

regards,
wahab

Bode's "Optimal Feedback" compensation easily gives 60 dB loop gain @ 20 KHz with < 2 MHz loop intercept - not a problem with Mosfet or BJT with Ft >20 MHz with "unconditional stability"

additionaly, there is good reason to ignore the tube era definition of unconditional stability with semi's that can achive full BW operating points within small fractions of the period of potential oscillations for conditionally stable compensations

to learn lots more about how to handle really high loop gains check out BJ Lurie:
(oops his site seems to be offline today, here's a page from archive.org)

Classical Feedback Control, Chapter 4: Shaping the Loop Frequency Response

note that the loop gain is flat in the "working frequency" range

http://www.amazon.com/Classical-Feedback-Control-MATLAB-Engineering/dp/0824703707

http://www.ieeecss.org/columns/Feb2007/PeopleFeb07.pdf

Mitchell also has some good stuff on using higher levels of feedback

http://www.personal.reading.ac.uk/~shsmchlr/selected.htm

Last edited:
Bode's maximal feedback compensation easily gives 60 dB loop gain @ 20 KHz with 2 MHz loop intercept - not a problem with Mosfet or BJT with Ft >20 MHz with "unconditional stability"

additionaly, there is good reason to ignore the tube era definition of unconditional stability with semi's that can achive full BW operating points within small fractions of the period of potential oscillations for conditionally stable compensations

to learn lots more about how to handle really high loop gains check out BJ Lurie:
(oops his site seems to be offline today, here's a page from archive.org)

Classical Feedback Control, Chapter 4: Shaping the Loop Frequency Response

note that the loop gain is flat in the "working frequency" range

agree with you..
i forgot to mention stability even with complex loads..
otherwise, achieving these values of NFB is not
difficult in purely resistive loads..

bob, you are someone of a minority..
most sold product were japanese mass fi,
and although thanks to advanced components at the time
they had the better specifications on paper, they were often
designed to provide a good performance/price ratio for the
manufacturer..
true that japanese did know how to make good products,
though pioneer is famed and accuphase is an obscur trademark..
it tell it all..
about NFB, i say that it is good, as it s impossible without it
to design amps with good general performances..
what is annoying is that a poorly designed amp can be made
seems to work weel on paper and in static measurements, with no
respect to the fact that it has a poor transfer function
linearity in dynamic conditions with gain, phase response in
function of the signal level and frequencies being instable..
i think that the better the linearity in OL, the better the
amp global stability in CL...
anyway, as you mention it, high level of NFB is hardly achievable
at high frequencies, when it s most needed, unless we accept
compromise in the stability criterion..
60 db at 20kh seems to be a good value to tame down
the higger range odd harmonics, but personnaly, i ve got
trouble implementing it, as i look for unconditionnal stabilty first..

regards,
wahab

Hi wahab,

I never go beyond 40 dB of global NFB at 20 kHz with a 6 dB/octave rolloff. This translates to a 2 MHz gain crossover frequency. The slope can be increased by going to multiple poles and zeros in the compensation (two-pole compensation is a simple example), but I have not bothered with it.

The other thing you implicitly touch on is the need for good measurements. Many of the conventional measurements do not bring out some of the bad things that are there when a poor open loop design has feedback put around it. 1 kHz THD is probably the worst example. This does not mean that there are not measurements that can bring out these things; it just means that for whatever reason, most manufacturers don't do them. The suite of tests that John Atkinson does in his Stereophile reviews is quite good. I especially like the 19+20 kHz CCIF test. BTW, this test is especially important (and revealing) for class D amplifiers.

Happy New Year,
Bob

Surely it's as you have stated in the last phrase. Effectively NFB has historically suffered of many bad "synchronism" with eletronic tecnologies available in different moments. Before solid state era problems associated with existing output transformers surely have not contribute to build a good opinion of NFB because of stability issues involved... and after tube era happen the same thing but triggered by different causes: once set free from trasformers, designers thrown itself on deep diving in heavy NFB.... with not exactly enthusiastical result.

In my opinion exist again nowadays some lacks of insight about the true nature of audio amplifier (preamplifier or power don't count much, altrhough, of course, power amplifiers cope with heavily worsened handicaps than preamplifiers): these are WIDEBAND AMPLIFIERS that covers well THREE decades of frequency. This, in my opinion, is the only serious flaw of the so called "op-amp" structure: that his intimate nature, as originally conceived, is really those of a NARROW BAND amplifier where changes in voltage gain due to compensation exigences are not really important as in wideband ampliiers, where open loop falling with frequency reveal ineluctably the intimate nature of high feedback, heavily compensated amplifier, which, pheraps, if originally should be regardes as linear amplifiers, they were turned out into a first order integrator by cdom - what need to be linearized by the same negative feedback that introduced this before INEXISTENT problem.

Actually, as designers strive for reaching in their amplifiers stunning performances yet in open loop state, the true need of heavy NFB loop gain stem uniquely from the exigence of avoiding (for purely economical reasons) stabilized power supplies and substitute them with an amplifier which, at some extent, stabilize "by itself" (or better: PROTECTS by itself) its own power rails. In low end commercial amplifiers this economical movent may hold again. But otherwise, in the so called (high priced) "hi-end amplifiers" should be existing enough "budget room" for investing in a good, regulated power supply that avoid the need of heavy NFB loop gain which conduct, unavoidably, to an heavy compensated amplifier, i.e. the most unsuitable for coping with "wideband" exigences of audio amplifiers.

I agree! :) Even from my viewpoint the best amplifier are REALLY good "no-feedback" design with a reasonable amount of NFB that "flatten out" the residual amount of non-linearity - Here for "reasonable amount" I intend comprised between 40-50 dB; a Baxandall graph that I had the opportunity of view, show clearly that so called "low-feedback" design with loop gain below 35-40 dB really WORSEN the distortion behaviour - especially from spectral distribution viewpoint - if confronted with open loop condition. A quirk from which can be derived ad interesting consideration: once we decide to use NFB, we can maximize its advantage ONLY maximizing its entity, with the only limits of not boost its value until a level where other problems rise out above.

Happy new year to you and all! :)
Piercarlo

The Baxandall distortion tests are very interesting stuff. I have duplicated his results and studied them further in simulation. It is important to realize that even the feedback inherent in emitter degeneration counts the same way as more global feedback in creating some newer harmonics. Most people don't realize this and think emitter degeneration is more benign. I've posted curves showing this in another thread. The good news is that the presence of local degeneration contributes to overcoming the first 15-20 dB of where NFB can in principle create new components. Thus, a stage with 20 dB of emitter degeneration will do just fine even if only another 10 dB of NFB is put around it in a more global fashion.

The Baxandall results were correct, but they were confined to a single stage with only a second-order nonlinearity. With BJTs and multiple stages, higher order nonlinearities exist from the get-go (not to mention crossover distortion). It is unfortunate that some have mis-understood the Baxandall results and latched onto them as a way of besmirching negative feedback.

Happy New Year,
Bob

The Baxandall distortion tests are very interesting stuff. I have duplicated his results and studied them further in simulation. It is important to realize that even the feedback inherent in emitter degeneration counts the same way as more global feedback in creating some newer harmonics. Most people don't realize this and think emitter degeneration is more benign. I've posted curves showing this in another thread.

That one is in my bookmarks :). It is here.

Also, it should be noted that Baxandall's findings for the case of an open-loop amplifier with only second-order distortion assumed the distortion of the open-loop amplifier was 10 percent. This is quite pessimistic. Let's suppose this 10 percent value is the distortion of the open-loop amplifier and that we've computed the distortion components of the closed-loop amplifier for a given amount of feedback. Now suppose we reduce the open-loop distortion by a factor of K and keep the amount of feedback the same. What happens is that, relative to the case where the open-loop distortion is the original value of 10 percent, the closed loop distortion percentage will be reduced by a factor of K for the second harmonic, K2 for the third harmonic, K3 for the fourth harmonic, K4 for the fifth harmonic, and so on, generalizing to KN-1 for the Nth harmonic. Thus by decreasing the open-loop second-harmonic distortion, we get a disproportionate improvement in the closed-loop distortion components for harmonics higher than 2. This shows that reducing open-loop distortion in this system (whose nonlinearity is second-order only) has a very important effect on the amount of high-order distortion of the closed-loop amplifier.

This was summarized and verified in simulation at posts starting here.

Lumba, what is your goal for an ideal amp?

Eva makes an interesting point about speaker design. Since they are inherently far from perfect (current speakers at least), a designer who can control every aspect of his design still has to decide what tradeoffs to make (impulse response, flatness of frequency response, on-axis time domain coordination versus off-axis dispersion, etc). You really can't have it all with a speaker, so every speaker will have some coloration or some behavior inherent to it.

Obviously (at least to me) the SET guys aren't aiming for an amp with zero distortion or perfectly flat frequency response. They are after something (IMO, almost definitely ADDED by the amp), that's not to be found in precise transfer of the input signal. Since you don't believe in measurements, and I'm not sure you trust specifications either, I'm wondering if a lot of the argument here is about conflicting goals. In short, would you rather have an amplifier that perfectly amplified an input signal, or one that measured worse but sounded better to you because of something it was doing to that signal?

That one is in my bookmarks :). It is here.

Also, it should be noted that Baxandall's findings for the case of an open-loop amplifier with only second-order distortion assumed the distortion of the open-loop amplifier was 10 percent. This is quite pessimistic. Let's suppose this 10 percent value is the distortion of the open-loop amplifier and that we've computed the distortion components of the closed-loop amplifier for a given amount of feedback. Now suppose we reduce the open-loop distortion by a factor of K and keep the amount of feedback the same. What happens is that, relative to the case where the open-loop distortion is the original value of 10 percent, the closed loop distortion percentage will be reduced by a factor of K for the second harmonic, K2 for the third harmonic, K3 for the fourth harmonic, K4 for the fifth harmonic, and so on, generalizing to KN-1 for the Nth harmonic. Thus by decreasing the open-loop second-harmonic distortion, we get a disproportionate improvement in the closed-loop distortion components for harmonics higher than 2. This shows that reducing open-loop distortion in this system (whose nonlinearity is second-order only) has a very important effect on the amount of high-order distortion of the closed-loop amplifier.

This was summarized and verified in simulation at posts starting here.

Hi Andy,

These are very good points. Thanks for posting those bookmarks - I had forgotten where they were!

Happy New Year!
Bob

Piercarlo

PS - I imagine that you think about electronic engineers (especially those designing audio appliances) as stupid monkeys severely jammed in brain for not being able to grasp your "subjective poor quality and high (subjective?) distortion, even if it´s beyond measurement boundaries, no matter how many chapters are written in support of the opposite".

QUOTE]

they are skilled people..however, they are restrained by profit margin
imperatives imposed by the financial directions..
that s why they rely on cheap tricks to make low cost production
items sound well enough, and to this purpose, vast amounts of NFB
is by far the most effective way to optimize cost/performances ratios..
nevermind the circuits have poor open loop linearity; just increase
the NFB...

Not necessarily. "Cheap tricks" are sometimes employed. But price is not the only thing that drives commercial product designs. In defense, aerospace, and some commercial products, like life-support systems, biomed, and truck brakes, for example, reliability and high performance 24/7/365, cannot be comprimised for cost reasons.

Also, using low cost parts may not necessarily be cutting quality. Sometimes, a part is low in cost because it is used by the millions. It can offer high performance and reliability at a small cost because GE, IBM, Sony, Motorola, etc. buy them by the millions, or even billions. They cost little and perform great, using the latest technology.

Also, such a part is off the shelf available, another plus. I'm in my 32nd year of EE, doing electronic R&D for new product development. Cost is definitely a constraint, but OEM people are well skilled in how to make tradeoffs. Spending a little more is fine with me as long as the cost difference is justified. More cost could increase performance and/or reliability making it more attractive to customers. Or more cost may condense a product in size. Customers in every market want small packages.

To assume that OEM engrs don't optimize performance because of heavy cost constraints is not always true, in fact, less often true. It comes down to justifying the increase in cost. Adding cost without a meaningful benefit is where the problem lies.

Give the OEM engrs a little credit. They know the tradeoffs involved and act accordingly. Regarding feedback (global), it's not simply about cost. Feedback improves performance greatly. But some careless practitioners in the past recklessly used it improperly and produced horrendous results. When done right, NFB can be your best friend, and done wrong it can be your worst nightmare.

Just my 2 cents worth. Happy New Year to all.

Also, using low cost parts may not necessarily be cutting quality. Sometimes, a part is low in cost because it is used by the millions.
:yes: The 3904/3906 transistors (in whatever package) are actually pretty good SS transistors. They are used by the millions, er billions, thus they are nearly as cheap as the sand they are made from.

When done right, NFB can be your best friend, and done wrong it can be your worst nightmare.

Too true:)

Not necessarily. "Cheap tricks" are sometimes employed. But price is not the only thing that drives commercial product designs. In defense, aerospace, and some commercial products, like life-support systems, biomed, and truck brakes, for example, reliability and high performance 24/7/365, cannot be comprimised for cost reasons.

Also, using low cost parts may not necessarily be cutting quality. Sometimes, a part is low in cost because it is used by the millions. It can offer high performance and reliability at a small cost because GE, IBM, Sony, Motorola, etc. buy them by the millions, or even billions. They cost little and perform great, using the latest technology.

Also, such a part is off the shelf available, another plus. I'm in my 32nd year of EE, doing electronic R&D for new product development. Cost is definitely a constraint, but OEM people are well skilled in how to make tradeoffs. Spending a little more is fine with me as long as the cost difference is justified. More cost could increase performance and/or reliability making it more attractive to customers. Or more cost may condense a product in size. Customers in every market want small packages.

To assume that OEM engrs don't optimize performance because of heavy cost constraints is not always true, in fact, less often true. It comes down to justifying the increase in cost. Adding cost without a meaningful benefit is where the problem lies.

Give the OEM engrs a little credit. They know the tradeoffs involved and act accordingly. Regarding feedback (global), it's not simply about cost. Feedback improves performance greatly. But some careless practitioners in the past recklessly used it improperly and produced horrendous results. When done right, NFB can be your best friend, and done wrong it can be your worst nightmare.

Well stated, Claude. Conversely, sometimes high cost has more to do with low volume than with high quality. A very expensive boutique part is not necessarily of higher quality or performance.

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Glen,

I don't recall Self achieving 0.01% THD-20 with MJ802 devices (which I also don't think were 4 MHz ft). I'll have to go review what he did and what he achieved.

Is suspect if he did it, it was with his beloved CFP output stage, which is very picky with quiescent bias, and in which he actually starves the output transistors to achieve proper crossover.

In any case, I agree that a good design with 21193/4 devices can achieve 0.01% THD-20.

A generously-biased MOSFET amp can also achieve that number without EC, but it will have somewhat higher idle dissipation. Two pair of vertical MOSFETs, each pair biased at 150-200 mA, combined with a 1 MHz gain crossover frequency, will do it. Such a design will not suffer nearly as much trouble with thermal stability and distortions due to junction temperature variations inflicted by program material.

Cheers,
Bob

Hello Bob

The Blameless amp with a single pair of Thermal trak Onsemi devices used in an emitter follower configuration achieves THD-20 of 0.02% at 100W into 8R . This is based on actual measurements.

Regards
Arthur

Hello Bob

The Blameless amp with a single pair of Thermal trak Onsemi devices used in an emitter follower configuration achieves THD-20 of 0.02% at 100W into 8R . This is based on actual measurements.

Regards
Arthur

Thanks, Arthur. That is more like it. Those OnSemi ThermalTrak devices are probably an order of magnitude faster than the old MJ802. With output devices sporting ft of over 30 MHz, it is much easier to believe that Self achieved 0.02% out to 20 kHz. I suspect he was inspired to try the ThermalTrak devices by the discussions on this very Forum quite awhile back.

Cheers,
Bob

don t make me say what i didn t said..
we are not talking aircrafts or medical tools, but audio items..
so your exemple is just irrelevant..
so far, the AUDIO products i did examine are for the most parts
designed and built the cheap way..
very often, very high feedback is used to compensate the inevitable
drawbacks , such as poor power supply, reduced quantity of output
devices and so on...
i ve got a pionner that has a pair of 2SA1302/2SC3281 as only
output devices for a 2 x 90 W rms/8 R rating,with the rear pannel
saying that 4 ohm speakers are possible..
i won t comment on the heatspreader and power supply caps,
neither on the VAS bjts overheating to the point that they
burned the pcb, it would be a massacre..
and yet, this one is still a good amp by the commercial standards.
all the bulk items are produced this way..
anyway,the reduced costs of production don t benefit to the consumer,
they just end improving the corporate s financial ratios..

regards,

wahab

don t make me say what i didn t said..
we are not talking aircrafts or medical tools, but audio items..
so your exemple is just irrelevant..
so far, the AUDIO products i did examine are for the most parts
designed and built the cheap way..
very often, very high feedback is used to compensate the inevitable
drawbacks , such as poor power supply, reduced quantity of output
devices and so on...
i ve got a pionner that has a pair of 2SA1302/2SC3281 as only
output devices for a 2 x 90 W rms/8 R rating,with the rear pannel
saying that 4 ohm speakers are possible..
i won t comment on the heatspreader and power supply caps,
neither on the VAS bjts overheating to the point that they
burned the pcb, it would be a massacre..
and yet, this one is still a good amp by the commercial standards.
all the bulk items are produced this way..
anyway,the reduced costs of production don t benefit to the consumer,
they just end improving the corporate s financial ratios..

regards,

wahab
If the technicians of the audio/hifi magazine would investigate the main PCB's of some audio amplifier with an infrared camera, probably would scare the developers/producers themselves about this and what they offer the customers (keyword "hot spots" and "charred areas of the PCB's after short use time)