Bigbottle Phonostage Builders thread.

Hi all, just wanted to follow up on this post.... I’ve seen elsewhere it’s been mentioned different possible types but is there a through hole mounted equivalent that can be used?
No, unfortunately I haven't found a drop in replacement for the 861C.

You MAY be able to use a 2SK170V but it has not be tried yet.

Of course, the legs on the 2sk170V would need twisting to get the S G D the right way round, but it is possible.

Yep it’ll go in no worries but I see some differences in characteristics.... Do we reckon it’s a possibility?
Well, it's a possibility but as far as Alan is concerned, the original BF862 this phonostage was built around, is still the best choice....if you can find any originals. Obviously we are now using the BF861C, which is a capable unit.

The 2SK170c or LSK170C would be a closer competitor I feel. Maybe @slav could cast an eye?

If it looks likely, Linear Systems still sell the LSK170C so a group buy could be arranged.

I have a Quad of 2SK170V on the way to me....as soon as they arrive I'll plumb them in and give them a listen.

Well, it's a possibility but as far as Alan is concerned, the original BF862 this phonostage was built around, is still the best choice....if you can find any originals. Obviously we are now using the BF861C, which is a capable unit.

The 2SK170c or LSK170C would be a closer competitor I feel. Maybe @slav could cast an eye?

If it looks likely, Linear Systems still sell the LSK170C so a group buy could be arranged.

I have a Quad of 2SK170V on the way to me....as soon as they arrive I'll plumb them in and give them a listen.

I'm not that good with njfets I'm afraid , worth asking some very knowledgeable guys on here but 2SK170 works best in the 8-10mA Idss range , higher current LSK170 is a possibility but we would also need to know other required parameters

Yep it’ll go in no worries but I see some differences in characteristics.... Do we reckon it’s a possibility?
If you fancy experimenting with different transistors solder through hole one into the pads for surface mounted that way you will avoid painful process of sucking solder out of tiny holes and you can easily reverse it back to original state , tbh I'd start with designer choice to start with

hello

I was wondering. Is BF862.215 the same ??

an alternative: I found this company, but they don`t do business with private.

Request | Pegasus Components

Does any of the builders represent a company ???

Regards
The BF862 is what we used in the beginning but as they were obsolete, there weren't many left to buy.

The BF861C is a close alternate but doesn't have as much gain

If you can get 862's, they are very good.