Bigbottle Phonostage Builders thread.

Probably I will do the same , there are some options there - 2SK170V or try to parallel BL’s but I need to get it soldered/working to do some simulations and atm I’m still working plus there is another little project I’m going through .
I will await your investigation Slav, as it appears there could be a voltage issue over the fet if we depart from the BF861C or 862.

IT ALSO seems that we may need to swap the 47R resistors to 68R if the 861c is to be used, to keep the valve in it's most linear state.

Alan and I were brainstorming this morning, over this very subject.

By brainstorming, I mean I asked loads of questions and Alan answered them lol

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Unfortunately not with my Salas FSP back in play totally silent. Reconnected the Big Bottle everything turned on I turned up the left volume control and instant noise. Right channel is fine.

Feeling out of my depth with this So I will pm Alan and see if he would sort for me.

What’s the cartridge and tonearm ? Possibly it could be combination of mismatch when it comes to compliance and effective mass and not perfect alignment,also what was the frequency of output oscillation , how quick sine mapping ? would help if you had an oscilloscope or use some oscilloscope software.

I will await your investigation Slav, as it appears there could be a voltage issue over the fet if we depart from the BF861C or 862.

IT ALSO seems that we may need to swap the 47R resistors to 68R if the 861c is to be used, to keep the valve in it's most linear state.

Alan and I were brainstorming this morning, over this very subject.

By brainstorming, I mean I asked loads of questions and Alan answered them lol

There seems to be BF861C available here: BF861C,215 NXP USA Inc. | Discrete Semiconductor Products | DigiKey

is it not what we need?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Are both channels test same at DC condition?
I have no knowledge of the circuit so is just out of curiosity question , I'm certain Alan will sort it out

I will recheck all the voltages again in the morning.

Hopefully Alan will be able to help me out as I was very much enjoying what I was hearing for most of the three LP's I listened to. Safe to say I think that Oliver is on a winner with this phono stage.