BF862 based SE Class A Headamp without the HEAT

Very nice work BDHM! :cheers:
Thanks!
:D:up::up::up:

Just checked data sheet, pads are indeed GDS, with D on 4th so should be compatible if spacing is correct.
I've just slapped one on the board, and SOT89 is quite a bit smaller. One could indeed place the SOT89 on the original pad, but contact area would be minimal.

Plus there would only be ~0.3mm clearance between the outer pins and the pad for the middle pin. See attached image, the two side by side and then stacked on top.

I also wonder what the reduced size would mean for thermal dissipation.

I can totally play around with the footprint though, and see if a good compromise can be made

Attachments

• stacked.png
    stacked.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 732
had a thought today that if we make the PCB in a hybrid SMT and through hole for all non-actives, people might not be as intimidated to make this amp without worrying about soldering all those little resistors. It is simple enough that we may just have enough room. What do you all think?

+1 for through-hole soldering preference! Ill attempt it either way, but this makes it less daunting.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi BDHM,
I am concerned that the 3.5mm jacks you have don't have enough spacing (center to center) with the volume knob shaft to allow a regular volume knob to fit without interference. Please look at the jacks used on Agdr's. Super CMOY - they are narrow profileand allow you actually squeeze a pair of input caps and an LED in between and permit sufficient clearance for a knob.

This may free up some space on main area by moving caps and LeD away. Also LED on end next to pot shaft is preferable.

Thanks for the great work!

556082d1466566831-opa1688-super-cmoy-2x-9v-real-ground-headphone-relay-pcbs-layout.png

Nice! You got it to fit as through hole except for JFETs!
Yup! The BF862 is only available in SMT. I could easily place provision for 2SK170s for those who can get em.

Is that a TO220 ZVN4306? It will have to rely on air convection or tiny TO92 heatsinks?
Indeedy: http://www.mouser.co.za/ProductDeta...=sGAEpiMZZMshyDBzk1/Wi0w8OutPcgKpEXQ7Oa3Ayf4=

Please look at the jacks used on Agdr's. Super CMOY
This is why I asked for consensus on 3.5mm jack :D. Does anyone know what make and model the ones Agdr used are? Otherwise, these are decent and also quite slim: Product – Lumberg

Attachments

• TO92 sink.jpg
    TO92 sink.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 650
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The part no is in the BOM in Agdr's thread post 1. It's from Mouser I think. How is the photo of the thing you posted supposed to be used as a 3.5mm jack?

591592d1484173382-bf862-based-se-class-headamp-without-heat-to92-sink.jpg

Oh I see that's the TO92 heatsink.

The linked part is indeed compact but has no threaded nut for securing to the panel and must rely on the PCB for stress relief of insertion and removal. That may break the boards prematurely as they are only anchored via volume pot.

pict.php

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Revised sims with Li-ion batt

I just noticed that a rechargeable 9v Li-ion battery is not really 9v but 8.4v and under load is more like 8v. So I set power rail at 16v and put in as built parts (except for R2 which needs manual adjustment for particular Idss of JFET). The predicted THD is now a very respectable 0.0065% at full volume. The FFT is still very nice looking.

591721d1484231213-bf862-based-se-class-headamp-without-heat-pocket-class-bf862-zvn5306-ha-v1-16v.png

And FFT (with grid lines this time) at 1.40v peak-peak output level:
591722d1484231314-bf862-based-se-class-headamp-without-heat-pocket-class-bf862-zvn5306-ha-v1-16v-fft.png

1k sine wave at 1.4v p-p:
591723d1484231563-bf862-based-se-class-headamp-without-heat-pocket-class-bf862-zvn5306-ha-v1-16v-1k-sine.png

Attachments

• Pocket-Class-A-BF862-ZVN5306-HA-v1-16v.png
    Pocket-Class-A-BF862-ZVN5306-HA-v1-16v.png
    69.3 KB · Views: 2,392
  • Pocket-Class-A-BF862-ZVN5306-HA-v1-16v-FFT.png
    Pocket-Class-A-BF862-ZVN5306-HA-v1-16v-FFT.png
    18 KB · Views: 2,138
  • Pocket-Class-A-BF862-ZVN5306-HA-v1-16v-1k-sine.png
    Pocket-Class-A-BF862-ZVN5306-HA-v1-16v-1k-sine.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 2,119
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Frequency response and phase for above. -3dB point is about 12Hz - phase is off about 50deg at 12Hz but is within 20deg above 35Hz. Use of larger caps would flatten phase but at expense of non-euphonic (H3 same as H2) harmonic distortion profile. I would rather take 20deg shift down to 35Hz.

591734d1484237709-bf862-based-se-class-headamp-without-heat-pocket-class-bf862-zvn5306-ha-v1-16v-fr-phase.png

Attachments

• Pocket-Class-A-BF862-ZVN5306-HA-v1-16v-FR-phase.png
    Pocket-Class-A-BF862-ZVN5306-HA-v1-16v-FR-phase.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 697
C2 and the 270r load is setting the ~12Hz roll off. And starts to have an effect from ~120Hz downwards.
If you add any headphone load in parallel to the 270r, then the roll-off frequency will move a bit higher.
I suspect this high roll-off frequency is what you heard when you made comment on the mid range frequencies.

I don't think you need a special electrolytic to realise the low bass performance.
Yes, using ordinary electrolytics might introduce some audible effects, but I have never, so far, heard them.

A pair of back to back 1mF gives an effective 500uF and allows 60ohms to go down to ~10Hz for F-1dB
If you want another octave, then use 4 off 1mF in series parallel with two in back to back format and two in front to front format and parallel them for an effective 1mF and f-1dB @ ~5Hz.

If you sim this and get the capacitance high enough, the sim should start to show what other components might limit the pass band.
I suspect the 1uF is not limiting the input to any significant effect.

Last edited:
Please look at the jacks used on Agdr's.
After 45 mins of trying to find an Eagle library for that part, my Google-Fu has failed me ;). I've asked agdr to send it to me. If that doesn't work out I'll have to create the package - but I haven't done that before so it might take a while to do it properly.

If you want another octave, then use 4 off 1mF in series parallel with two in back to back format and two in front to front format and parallel them for an effective 1mF and f-1dB @ ~5Hz..
*Brody voice* We're going to need a bigger board :D

You don't think having low ESR of 20mOhms might improve bass authority?
I've not noticed that relationship.
I just go big enough so that the output cap does not have any significant AC signal across it. I much prefer to passive filter at the input where a small plastic film cap can be used.
But going small electro on the output might suit the higher distortions you are aiming for.
An electro used as a filter will have more distortion of the signal that is being filtered, i.e. the bass frequencies. than an electro that is just DC blocking without any AC signal across it.