Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over

Silliness aside, any change in the signal is distortion and must also include freq aberrations (duh).

I agree, we better ditch this hobby and pick up some music instruments.
A shame many instruments require some form of amplification, so we'd better stick to rhythm sticks, various drums, string instruments, flutes and such.

When the music is allready passing through the dsp unit anyway, I can not understand why a little bit of delay would be anything else than beneficial, all things considered.

Thinking of that song:
"A little distortiooon, in my left ear, it feels goooood to me, baby can't you hear? It feels goooood to me, maked me feel allright ..." Etc etc. The long Acapella version of Distortion by David Guetta, not a fan but I have the single on 12".

Who cares if there's a bit of distortion when it feels right?
A bit of delay to correct for offset, when you are using the same circuit anyway, will in most cases reduce distortion.

Delay only matters when you have to be synchronized to something else, such as video or live performance.
Yes, if you are talking about delays larger than the size of most rooms at home.

But I used DSP delay to "move" my near-full-range electrostatic panels back to my folded corner horn sub Klipschorn. That turns out to be about 13 feet*. As others have posted too, there is a slight but perceptible improvement. Not big and maybe not worth worrying about given all the bass reflex, tapped-"horn", and other poor subs out there.

Earlier I argued that any finagling of the signal is legitimately called distortion. I'll stick with that. Audibility and relative importance compared to Doppler, edge diffraction, cab wall vibration, looney-tunes passive crossovers, etc is a separate question.

B
* various acoustic ways to determine the physical displacement and so a tape-measure may not be the reliable method.

Account Closed
Joined 2001
Earlier I argued that any finagling of the signal is legitimately called distortion. I'll stick with that. Audibility and relative importance compared to Doppler, edge diffraction, cab wall vibration, looney-tunes passive crossovers, etc is a separate question.

Delaying is not a finagling or changing of the signal, so you should be okay. :)

Dave.

... Earlier I argued that any finagling of the signal is legitimately called distortion. I'll stick with that. Audibility and relative importance compared to Doppler, edge diffraction, cab wall vibration, looney-tunes passive crossovers, etc is a separate question.

B
* various acoustic ways to determine the physical displacement and so a tape-measure may not be the reliable method.

If a tape measurer is not a good enough method to get close enough by a centimeter. Then maybe you should set up an automatic function to adjust delay by air density, since air speed/distance will invariable change pending on pressure, temperature and humidity.

I don't mind a bit of nitpicking, but c'mon man.

...I don't mind a bit of nitpicking, but c'mon man.

It would be a wonderful world if you could just put a tape-measure on the screws that hold your drivers to their speaker boxes and calculate delay. Simple-minded models lead to simple-minded posts.

Put a mic at your listening position and play a freq in the crossover notch and delay for peak.

B.

Last edited:
Personally I think a very good starting point is using a tape measurer and measure ca distance between center of voice coil windings. Then adjust +/- until happy. Do not think anyone mentioned measuring screws.

Using your method you'd get a 0.5% difference between 22.5c and 25c. You'd end up in almost the same place.

"If the predicted temperature in the room is 72 °F (22.2 °C), and the actual temperature is 77 °F (25 °C), then the error is 0.49 percent. Half a percent error would require that you move the object half a centimeter beyond 100 cm before it would transition from 99 to 100 cm."
Speed of Sound in Air vs. Temperature | LEARN.PARALLAX.COM

Nitpicking!

Edit:
What listening distance are you at? 3 meters would make the difference between a tape measurer between drivers VC's versus other means = ~nil

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Why not do it right, right away? Then it will work for anyone, not just your niche.

And BTW, to use a balanced output with RCAs is, of course, not by connecting the RCA to one phase and the RCA shield to ground. Inviting ground loops big time.
The correct way is to connect XLR pin 2 (hot) to RCA hot, XLR pin 3 (cold) to RCA gnd, and XLR pin1 (chassis gnd) to whatever you are driving chassis gnd.
You can risk connecting pin 1 to your RCA shield but it will increase noise and ground loop hum, depends whether it will be audible.

Jan

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes that will work, perfect. Many people connect the screen to ground at the receiving end also, but that is not recommended. In that case there is still a small chance on hum because the slightly different ground potential * between the two chassis is equalized through the screen and that current can induce hum in the signal lead. But if it works it works.

Also, in the DCX all balanced is pseudo-balanced so it still is referenced to gnd, so 'real' balanced is not available anyway.

Jan

* due to things like different mains leakage due to different mains transformers and ground points.

Last edited: