Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over

Okay thanks for clearing this. The preamp I want to buy in the future has DB25 to XLR digital out, so if I plug it to 2496 Input A, I should be able to get 2 channels that I can use with 4 outputs.

Is this correct?

Your choice. There are 6 balanced outputs organized as 3 per channel.

If your crossover points are set up to have 3 outputs per channel (high/mid/low) then so be it.

If you only need 2 outputs per channel (high/low) then so be it.

It all depends on how you configure it. I highly recommend you download the pdf of the manual given a few posts back and look it over. If you don't have a lot of time, check out the visual hookup examples.

Jeez, a couple of glue-on mini heatsinks wouldn't cost much - nuts!

Don't know what that 'variable hiss' is about - I don't like the idea of that at all - can you reduce it with a high freq low-pass filter, isolate it with a change of inputs, or is it a characteristic in all 6 of the outputs?

Thank you for your suggestion but I have no in-depth technical knowledge to perform such filters. The inner space is very limited as well. I think this hiss may be related to PSU filtering or too much output gain. Attaches the mid and tweeter sample.

Attachments

• Sample noise1.mp4
    2.7 MB
Think of the wonderful original (not Limited) DCX like a switchboard.

You have approximately 4, 5, or 6 kinds of inputs: AES/SPDIF (which delivers two with one plug), and baseband audio into the C jack and also A and B if there's no AES plugged in (and I am not too confused), and C also has a mysterious mic input with a "phantom" 15v supply*.

When you are using RCA/XLR/audio baseband, you plug the L signal into any input you want and likewise for R. When you use the AES/SPDIF input, the DCX labels the digital L and R as A and B, simple as that.

The inputs leave the DCX pre-stage and go to the 6 output channels. Each of those output channels can select one of: A, B, C, or ask the DCX to sum any two of A, B, or C for a mixed bass.

B.
*I'm thinking of powering an accelertomer sensor by the C mic input; anybody used that feature?

Jeez, a couple of glue-on mini heatsinks wouldn't cost much - nuts!

Don't know what that 'variable hiss' is about - I don't like the idea of that at all - can you reduce it with a high freq low-pass filter, isolate it with a change of inputs, or is it a characteristic in all 6 of the outputs?

Variable hiss: I already posted an mp4 file (audio only) to get an idea. This strange noise appears in all 6 outputs, giving the impression that this is a lot of gain or some incompatibility with PSU filtering.

The Berhinger-mods just replace the input and output stages - that's it.

The kDCX is a complete upgrade with better boards, better ICs, better dac chips and ADC, better clock + power supply - it's a new design with much higher performances even tho it still uses the Sharc2 processor chip and the same operating system.

The Berhinger-mods just replace the input and output stages - that's it.

The kDCX is a complete upgrade with better boards, better ICs, better dac chips and ADC, better clock + power supply - it's a new design with much higher performances even tho it still uses the Sharc2 processor chip and the same operating system.

Correct, only IN and OUT devices. Mr. Ashton claims that PSU Behringer is sufficient and the digital session is good. Thank you for your interest in helping.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've modified a few of these to various degrees. I find that the digital section is quite good, the benefits lie in changing the analog sections and power supply. Here is my order of importance for modifications:
  1. New analog outputs. I use transformers, but there are other options. The stock analog section has more gain and noise than you'd want in a home system, and has measurable high harmonic distortion. It's not difficult to do better.
  2. Power supply and decoupling. Not a "night and day" change, but more of a background feeling of better dynamics and cleaner sound. Replacing the cheap electrolytic caps with better, low ESR at high frequency caps cleans things up. I use Panasonic FM series, but there are other good caps. I increase the cap value by 50-100% depending on where it is in the circuit.
  3. Input mods. If you use the analog inputs, replacing that section will clean up the signal. Build a board with some good quality op amps and you're go to go. I have also added an RCA input for the digital side, and even a selector switch. The receiver chip is happy with AES balanced or SPDIF unbalanced.
  4. Clocks and things. Some people like a clock upgrade. It has not been a problem for me, I don't see much jitter.

Akunec,

The clipping point is defined by how the output stage is configured. If you use an XLR/RCA adaptor/converter that shorts pin 1 to 3 the output will clip at about 8.8 volts RMS. If you don't use an adaptor then either + or - output will clip at about 4.4 volts RMS (relative to the ground pin 1.) So, your 14db estimate is fairly close.

Regarding your other question....If you want to delve inside the DCX you can easily lower the gain in the output section(s) by changing the value of a single resistor. R11,15,19,23,27,31.

In fact, since you need to lower the value you can tack another resistor right on top of the existing one. However, it's pretty small and not for the trembling hands type. :)

Also, a simple resistor divider will not alter your amplifier highpass filter significantly if the source resistance of said divider is small relative to the input resistance of your amplifier. Example: If you used two 1k ohm resistors for a 6db pad and your power amp input resistance was 27k ohms the 500 ohm source resistance would add with the 27k and only shift your xover frequency 2%.

Cheers,

Davey.

After a little google I came across this post.

I only got the DCX back up and running late last year with new PSU.

I been looking at the issue over and realized the current amplifiers being used have a low input sensitivity 200m/v so I get a typical scratchy static like sound before the DCX2496 is at max output.

I attached so far a 46k resistor to the LF channels 1, 3, 5 and I noticed a less overload on the input. I have get some new pro amps that handle the increase.

I have to solder a few more resistors to HF channels 2, 4, 6.

Oh what are the values of the x6 resistors inside the DCX. I don't fancy removing it from the rack to remove the lid I was kinder wondering if you knew ?

Cheers

Last edited:
Hello there,
how can i reach these values with my DCX2496?
Low-pass: 2nd order, fc=300Hz, Q=0.4
High-pass: 2nd order, fc=350Hz, Q=0.67
in the second page, i can find some of those parameters to be changed, but i don't know where to select this "second order" also, there is a HP/BP/LP parameter, but i cannot select HP/LP to set the Q value, the option is only available when i select the BP parameter, is this normal?

1. The ‚dull sound’ problem (10 kHz cut-off) occurs at power up of DCX or digital source ONLY. Also disconnecting and connecting the digital cable might cause the problem. There is NO auto-reset. You must power down and restart DCX again in case of ‘dull sound’ error.

My 3 DCXs all had this ‘dull sound’ problem. It occurred at about every 10-20th power up. There seem to be DCX users who don’t have this problem at all (or do not hear it?) which might depend on power-up behaviour of digital source. The ‘dull sound’ problem is independent of the sample rate and transformer! It’s caused by the erroneous CS8420 only.

To get rid of the problem you need to replace the CS8420 by CS8416 + AD1896 which also provide improved sample rate conversion (SRC). Some of the CS8420 mods provide an additional low jitter 24.576 MHz clock which improves sound quality of DCX significantly not only using digital but also analog input. The attached Word-File shows the different mods.

Based on my measurements and experience sound quality of digital input is better than analog one. That’s because you avoid a D/A- and an A/D-conversion.

2. Although the ‘huge cap’ believers will disagree to my point of view replacing the switched DCX power supply will cause no significantly sonical improvement. I’m not aware of any measurement which shows the opposite.

The DCX supply provides 5 output rails (http://www.awdiy.com/uploads/pdf/DEQ2496-PSU-1.5.pdf ):
A. The +3.3V and +5V rails are used for digital devices only. The believing modifying these two rails causes any sonical improvement is pure NONSENSE (sorry)!

B. The 8-9V rail is used by two 7805 regulators which supply the ADCs and DACs. To really improve PSRR (110 dB) and noise (18 µV) it’s best to replace the 7805 regulator for the DACs and if you use analog input also the one for the ADCs by Vreg .

C. On the +/-15V rails there is 50 kHz noise (out of sonical band) caused by the switched supply. If you use digital input and passive outputs +/-15V rails are not used at all. For all other applications noise can simply be reduced by adding pi-filters before the 78/7915 regulators as it is realized by L2+C10 and L3+C11 for the +3.3V and +5V rails. The costs for three 100 µH (0.65 ohm) coils and 220 µF (25V) caps are about 2 dollars only.

Interresting, i got the dull sound on 44.1 spdif, so a replacement on IC1 will do?
Cheers.

Last edited:
Interresting, i got the dull sound on 44.1 spdif, so a replacement on IC1 will do?
If true, the "dull sound" problem would be an "extraordinary" problem. Of course, such irregular problems seems to sort of violate my understanding of how the material universe operates, unless quantum mechanics is implicated.

But I doubt anybody could detect the absence of 10kHz output on music on blind testing, of course. Lots of days I wake up and my brain has a dull sound problem! Anybody who knows about "adaptation level" in human perception will also understand how that can be an artifact.

It should be as simple as could be to document this problem with measurements the next time it occurs since the problem hangs around until the unit is re-booted. Or is this one more unmeasurable problem with the DCX that only a mod can fix?

B.

If true, the "dull sound" problem would be an "extraordinary" problem. Of course, such irregular problems seems to sort of violate my understanding of how the material universe operates, unless quantum mechanics is implicated.

But I doubt anybody could detect the absence of 10kHz output on music on blind testing, of course. Lots of days I wake up and my brain has a dull sound problem! Anybody who knows about "adaptation level" in human perception will also understand how that can be an artifact.

It should be as simple as could be to document this problem with measurements the next time it occurs since the problem hangs around until the unit is re-booted. Or is this one more unmeasurable problem with the DCX that only a mod can fix?

B.

It comes after a movement in the power grid for ex a light switch. It sounds like phase error. Worse than a 10khz pad.