Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over

Account Closed
Joined 2001
for an XLR or TRS the signal is the DIFFERENCE between pin 2 and 3. Always.
Pin1 is enclosure. Always.

You can convert to unbalanced and all you have to remember is that the signal is between pin2 and pin3.
At the unbalanced end you can connect pin3 to audio/signal ground. Do not connect pin3 to enclosure.

Check any pro-audio cable (or adaptor) that converts XLR to RCA and you will find a pin 3 to pin 1 (enclosure) connection.
In the DCX, like most pro gear, Pin 1 is chassis but also the audio/signal ground.

I'm surprised after the many years of this DCX thread there is still confusion on this.

Dave.

Last edited:
In the DCX, like most pro gear, Pin 1 is chassis but also the audio/signal ground.

Most proper pro gear makes a clear distinction between chassis and signal ground, and keeps pin 1 and 3 separate.

I'm surprised after the many years of this DCX thread there is still confusion on this.

Perhaps because some people don't understand a fully differential connection and the difference between chassis and signal ground...

Account Closed
Joined 2001
Perhaps because some people don't understand a fully differential connection and the difference between chassis and signal ground...

As I said, in the DCX, they're the same. Pin 3 is not signal ground and not connected to Pin 1. (Only if we do it externally.)
This thread is regarding the DCX2496......last time I checked.

What is it with the argumentative tone in this thread lately? I'm simply relating how the DCX is constructed. We can agree/disagree with the validity of their engineering approach, but that doesn't change the way the device is actually built. We can modify it....as many have done....but the stock configuration is our baseline for discussion.

Dave.

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2001
I thought the confusion was between audio ground (pin 1) and chassis

No, there shouldn't have been. Pin 1 is directly connected to audio ground within the DCX. And the DCX has no ground-lift jumper/switch as you might see on other pro gear.

Your question (initially) was how to handle Pin 3 of the output jacks for an unbalanced interface, yes? I answered that question (numerous times now)....in the DCX context.
Other manufacturers equipment might require a different scheme regarding this, but for the DCX you can handle Pin 3 in one of two ways:
1. You can do nothing with it and leave it floating. Connect cable to Pins 1 and 2.
2. You can connect it to Pin 1. (gain increase.) Connect cable to Pins 1/3 and 2.

I'm not sure how much clearer to make this.

Dave.

I understand that, except that a pseudo-floating balanced (servo balanced as Behringer call it) output requires the cold to be connected to audio ground when connected to an unbalanced input apparently. I thought the confusion arose when AndrewT said audio ground and the chassis connection at pin 1 were not the same, I see that (I think!) although in the DCX they are connected together, this though is not always the case?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
My temporary set up at the moment is a pot on the analogue inputs, so outputs are wide open to the power amps, hence I'm getting some noise, planning to attenuate at the outputs so that should cure it
That's the proper way to go about it. Usually each amp has its own volume control so that you can set them where they need to be, hopefully with the DCX pumping pretty hard. The analog circuits on the DCX are not as quiet as one would hope, and that really hurts if you are running typical consumer line level gear.

How are your master levels with the analog inputs? Are you able to drive the meters into the red? FWIW, the DCX is unity gain when everything is set flat.

I've put pots on the amp inputs now, with CD player as source it's lighting 3 leds on the input. I have yet to try digital input, that should improve things further since level won't come into the equation.

I've a question re the EQ, what are the pros and cons of eqing on the inputs v the outputs?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Precisely what Draki said. Any EQ on the inputs will affect all outputs on that channel. If you are having a tweeter problem, it's better to EQ the output for that tweeter.

Sometimes it doesn't matter, but doing driver EQ on the outputs is generally best practice.
I rarely used the input EQ, tho sometimes it was handy for a little balance and delay.

That should work too. Specially considering DCX' ample signal output (stock active version), passive 6ch volume attenuator is OK. You will have to set the individual "way" levels in the DCX, as opposed to running each "way" full signal out and then set the levels as (if) needed in the 6ch preamp that I linked to. No big deal..

EDIT: I just saw you already have pots in your amps, so there is where you set the (relative, individual drivers') level, running the full signal out of DCX..

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2001
I understand that, except that a pseudo-floating balanced (servo balanced as Behringer call it) output requires the cold to be connected to audio ground when connected to an unbalanced input apparently.

No, it doesn't.
I don't know how many times I have to say it. :)

Six-channel volume-controls post DCX are an option, but I agree with Pano's earlier suggestion. Both he and I have been down the six-channel volume control path years ago.

Dave.