Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over

Account Closed
Joined 2001
Ben,

Don't be a smart-***. 'You want me to do the Googling for you?
Have you read this thread from start to finish?

You come along years late to the DCX2496 party, and throw a bunch of attitude around because you can't find posts that prove/disprove your assertions?????
Funny.

Dave.

Last edited:
I use this as vol control. The cool thing is that it is stand alone and pc-control. It is a little overkill but almost all usb soundcards have spdif in and out. I put a CD in the digital input and it follows the master pot.

ultralite-mk3-large-stack2.jpg

I have just bought this one for my active system, but I use it as a standalone crossover as well. No need for a DCX if you already have a Motu Ultralite ;)

I have MkIII as in the picture.

I route the spdif input to busses, and the busses I assign to outputs. The outputs have a good eq section. One of them are Hi pass and low pass up to 36 dB slopes.

The rest of the eq's you can use for room compensations or other nice stuff.

The user interface is ugly IMHO but it works. I measure the output to be sure i get what i want. I use the mic input together with a measurement mic from supelux and software is Holm Impulse (freeware)

For more advanced use, then a PC as DSP is a good thing. You don't need cubase, a stand alone VST machine can do the trick (FIR eq and filters etc). But the DSP routning and eq, also works just fine.

Edit: I just found the manual for the origninal Ultralite, and I see no reason why it should not work as a crossover as well. Just remember to change what the main volume control is controlling. You can choose 7.1 output, then it's a master volume for the eight analog outputs.

Last edited:
Yes, and Motu is quite cheap second hand. But, I don't think you need the MkIII, I think all version have the same functions.

The MkIII also accepts USB, that's why they call it Hybrid. I just don't think the USB can be chosen as input internally.

On top of my list was RME Fireface UC, but they are very hard to find second hand, and they do not have DSP eq - only internal routing

Last edited:
Yes, and Motu is quite cheap second hand. But, I don't think you need the MkIII, I think all version have the same functions.

The MkIII also accepts USB, that's why they call it Hybrid. I just don't think the USB can be chosen as input internally.

On top of my list was RME Fireface UC, but they are very hard to find second hand, and they do not have DSP eq - only internal routing

That was a cool looking box. This is hot also: :Ohno: MiniDSP OpenDRC-DA8 Audio Digital Processor DSP 32bit S/PDIF RCA - Audiophonics

That's not how I understand it, according to the article above the gain remains the same, although Doug Self says the headroom in down 6dB. This is from that article:

""Another electronically balanced configuration uses what’s often called a “cross-coupled” or “servo” balanced circuit. This generally uses three op-amps and delivers the full voltage between pins 2 and 3, even with one of those outputs connected to ground, the same as when unbalancing a transformer output. This output-circuit configuration was designed to emulate the effect of a transformer, and while it’s far less expensive than a good transformer, it requires a few more parts than a simple op-amp inverter. When connecting this type of output circuit to an unbalanced input, pin 3 should always be grounded. This effectively puts the two legs of the output circuit in series. By grounding pin 3, the full signal voltage, rather than half, will be seen by an unbalanced input connected to pin 2 and ground.""