Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over

Account Closed
Joined 2001
I posted this on another thread about connecting the Behringer, I hope it helps clear things up. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...question-behringer-dcx2496-2.html#post5266593

Well, I hope it cleared things up for you. :) Nothing needed to be cleared up for me or many other users.

The pin 3 connection is confusing for some users I guess. In spite of some recommendations, grounding it is not mandatory. Depending upon what you want in your gain structure, you can either ground it or not. With the trade-offs I mentioned.

Dave.

OK, I know it's a factor of two and I got it backwards, here is what the DCX2496 manual actually says. But my main point is that pin 3 should be grounded, and that is still true.

That's interesting, they refer to it as a servo there, so, confirmation that quasi-floating, cross-coupled and servo mean the same, also that it automatically adjusts to maintain the same level so long as pn 3 is grounded, thanks

Digital volume control :up:
BMC-2 - High Definition DAC and Monitor Controller | TC Electronic
DSC09867.jpg

IIRC volume control does not affect digital output on this unit, only analog output.
An openDRC would do the job, and let you use a convolution for DRC and/or phase linearization.

Account Closed
Joined 2001
IIRC volume control does not affect digital output on this unit, only analog output.
An openDRC would do the job, and let you use a convolution for DRC and/or phase linearization.

According to Section 1 of the owners manual, the rotary control does alter the level on the digital output......when "ALT" is selected.
Regardless, it's a pretty darn expensive digital volume control. :)

Dave.

for an XLR or TRS the signal is the DIFFERENCE between pin 2 and 3. Always.
Pin1 is enclosure. Always.

You can convert to unbalanced and all you have to remember is that the signal is between pin2 and pin3.
At the unbalanced end you can connect pin3 to audio/signal ground. Do not connect pin3 to enclosure.

I agree with Andrew. This is also what happens with the little switch you often see on gear with selectable balanced/unbalanced input.
I'm confused. In practice, chassis and signal ground are the same, esp. at high signal levels, like here.

As i mentioned days ago, you can use trick grounding schemes with the chassis shield connected at just one end and two audio wires inside the coax. But in most systems, not really worth bothering with unless you are near a broadcast antenna.

My experience with troublesome systems is that using $15 in-line coupling transformers from eBay can be very beneficial. You'd be amazed how well they measure too, despite anxieties you might have about them apriori.

BTW, the not-inexpensive Xonar U7 is a pretty inelegant replacement for a multi-gang passive volume control. And hard to figure how to connect it between a DCX with stock analog output signals and amps with analog input.

B.

Last edited:
Don't be a smart-***. 'You want me to do the Googling for you?
Funny thing, whenever I challenge anybody to reference all that abundant evidence they say demonstrates the DCX needs mods, I gat the same abusive non-answer.

Frankly, for all the hoopla about mods, I've never seen evidence that anybody can tell a modified DCX from an unmodified one. If you have credible evidence, speak up now*.

B.
*dealers excepted

I'm confused. In practice, chassis and signal ground are the same, esp. at high signal levels, like here.
The chassis/enclosure is NOT the same as audio/signal ground
As i mentioned days ago, you can use trick grounding schemes with the chassis shield connected at just one end and two audio wires inside the coax.
Coaxial cable is single core plus screen/shield layer. STP is screened twisted two core.
But in most systems, not really worth bothering with unless you are near a broadcast antenna.

BTW, the not-inexpensive Xonar U7 is a pretty inelegant replacement for a multi-gang passive volume control. And hard to figure how to connect it between a DCX with stock analog output signals and an amp with analog input.......
The chassis/enclosure serves multiple purposes. To shield the internals as if it were a Faraday Cage, to separate probing fingers from the dangerous voltages/currents inside, to cool the internals.
NONE of those have any need to connect to audio/signal ground.

One will want to take interference from incoming cables to the enclosure, but that is usually done with capacitors.

There is a Safety exception:
Any exposed conductive parts should be connected to the protected chassis.

Last edited:
BTW, the not-inexpensive Xonar U7 is a pretty inelegant replacement for a multi-gang passive volume control. And hard to figure how to connect it between a DCX with stock analog output signals and amps with analog input.

B.

It's NOT used as an analog control, but digital. It can contol the volume of the SPDIF output. PC --> U7 --> SPDIF out --> SPDIF in to crossover

It's NOT used as an analog control, but digital. It can contol the volume of the SPDIF output. PC --> U7 --> SPDIF out --> SPDIF in to crossover
If the input is 16 bit, it upsamples, then attenuates the bit depth, then into the crossover, to be processed? Wouldn't it be better to allow the crossover to process it's own upsampled data and attenuate after the final DACs?

If the input is 16 bit, it upsamples, then attenuates the bit depth, then into the crossover, to be processed? Wouldn't it be better to allow the crossover to process it's own upsampled data and attenuate after the final DACs?

It depends - I only use this as an alterntive for the moment. It's not a permanent solution.

But if you are working at more than 16 bit, then it's not an issue.
All DSP's and soundcards are using higher than 16 bit internally. Otherwise you will loose audio quality.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yup, every time I ask for evidence, I get the same answer. Funny thing, nobody can seem to find that evidence except that produced by dealers.

Rubbish, rubbish and lies. I have posted measurements at least twice in this thread. You just whine that they aren't whatever it is you want to see. Your arguments had very little credibility to begin with, they now have zero. Tedium ad plus tedium.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Scott, the DCX uses a Cirrus CS8240 as its receiver chip, which can do either AES balanced or SPDIF unbalanced no problem. In the DCX it's set up with a transformer in front of it, and a 110 ohm termination - in other words AES. But it works just fine with SPDIF, unbalanced. Normally you just use pin 2 as hot, and tie pin 1&3 together. It will also work between pins 2&3, but I found it more susceptible to noise and glitches that way. That might just have been a grounding problem.

Because I used mine with a SPDIF run of over 10 meters, I bought a used Neutrik SPDIF to AES transformer off eBay. It worked great.

I haven't got as far as the digital input yet, I was talking about the analogue outputs. According to the schematic the relay on input A switches pins 2 & 3 to the digital input. My temporary set up at the moment is a pot on the analogue inputs, so outputs are wide open to the power amps, hence I'm getting some noise, planning to attenuate at the outputs so that should cure it

Last edited: