Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over

There is an internet audiophile isolator with another set of magnetics (present already on every Ethernet interface!) and audiophile through hole components (with lots of lead inductance) to filter the noise the Sotm ISO-CAT6
Ethernet Accessories and Cables | AudioStream

Ah yes. On the same page as the audiophile ethernet cables.

"The difference between the Rosewill Ethernet cable and the AQ Vodka was more apparent than the differences offered by either Ethernet filter. With the Rosewill cable, those skeletons sounded thinner, that tin roof more metallic, and generally everything sounded more digital. This was not a subtle change to my ears and there's no way I would spend any time with that Rosewill cable in my networked hi-fi."

What is your reason to avoid USB hubs? Wouldn't they actually be beneficial in isolating the DAC from the Mac?

Digital volume control would not provide sufficient SNR?
Good questions, esp for others on this thread to clarify. I'm just repeating common beliefs or myths.

My reasonably modern computer will balk in playing music when it gets busy. Granted, Apples are busy doing a lot of stuff in the background related to indexes and iCloud. And one night it badly beat-up my DCX2496 and gave it grand mal seizures with flashing lights. Anybody know why?

My Mac laptop has two USB ports. Can anybody tell me if that means EACH one has a certain max USB capacity or is there just one max USB capacity in the computer?

I think isolation as you mean it relates to asynchronous boxes rather than the kind of isolation a transformer provides. I don't think hubs can do either.

Ben

Last edited:
My reasonably modern computer will balk in playing music when it gets busy.

Worth looking at what is going on - running out of RAM? For just playing music, even a low-end ARM system with minimal RAM (squeezebox, raspberry pi or mobile phone) seems to do just fine.

My Mac laptop has two USB ports. Can anybody tell me if that means EACH one has a certain max USB capacity or is there just one max USB capacity in the computer?

All depends on the architecture of that particular computer (shared controller, or separate controllers).

I think isolation as you mean it relates to asynchronous boxes rather than the kind of isolation a transformer provides. I don't think hubs can do either.

I was thinking of electrical isolation (not clock isolation), and more in the context of powered hubs.

The unit is suspended between two cables neither of which will have an overall screen as they are not CAT 7 and wont have CAT 7 connectors on... So where are the caps going to shunt the noise too:)
Then if they did have screens your going to be adding noise to the screen that then has to travel down it to some other point(if any as this is basically of an Ethernet layout just put in an add on box and given a ridiculous price....
I probably do an Ethernet layout every month or so on boards so I know how they are done also we take a lot of care for EMC etc, in my limited opinion I don't think this device is much use, PTH capacitors for a start of, whereas those in the know would use SMD devices because they have much lower parasitic inductance....

Worth looking at what is going on - running out of RAM? For just playing music, even a low-end ARM system with minimal RAM (squeezebox, raspberry pi or mobile phone) seems to do just fine.

All depends on the architecture of that particular computer (shared controller, or separate controllers).

I was thinking of electrical isolation (not clock isolation), and more in the context of powered hubs.

Most Hubs will have a USB transceiver so will isolate and re-clock the USB data, also they tend to have separate power supply's so that they can provide the required 5V to numerous USB ports so I'm with you here Julf on the benefits (if they are required).
Me I use a stand alone cheap AMD based PC that just does music serving and nothing else... no problems:)

results

I dumped my DCX after trying this: WAF-Audio
Hi Groundloops,:)
So how is it working ? I went to the site ,alot of info some pretty deep ,but how is it sounding?
Did you have any problems ?
I have 2 dcx and 2 deq I am thinking about switching over to a WAF and using the computer and a sound board for inputs.
I am building a system with the best fidelity and still loud enought to please!
Thanks ,
NS:bulb:

Hi guys,

I wanted to try a naive digital in -> single ended passive out modification using 600ohm 1:1 output Transformers I had available (Lundhal LL2801).

I'm very much a novice with this stuff and pretty much wanted to dip my toes in and went ahead removing the old output board, ran an AES/EBU to pins 1/2 on the 26pin input/output header and then taking +Vout from the header through pins (13,15,17,19,21,23) taking ground from pins 25/26. Everything else left unconnected.
While this did get me output (getting AES/EBU from a SRC2496), it is very much distorted.
It seems that the signal is clipping all over the place and lowering the gain on digital -10db gets rid of some but still sound is awful. Original output board connected fully is working fine with the same signal.

Would you guys have a tip on what I'm missing? Should I ground the -VOut's from the Dacs?
Would I need to load the DAC output (which I've read is expecting a 1kOhm load), so a series resistor across the primaries of the trafo?

The output trafo specs:
in+ 7 (for instance +Vout from pin 21)
in- 6 (ground from pin 25)
out+ 9 (to RCA +)
out- 10 (to RCA shield)

The pin layout is as:
FEozykIl.png

Sorry about double-posting, I found out that I could no longer edit nor delete the original post I made in the "DCX2496 Upgrade Board - Objectively Tackling...."-thread.
Kind regards,
Wille

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I wanted to try a naive digital in -> single ended passive out modification using 600ohm 1:1 output Transformers I had available (Lundhal LL2801).

I'm very much a novice with this stuff and pretty much wanted to dip my toes in and went ahead removing the old output board, ran an AES/EBU to pins 1/2 on the 26pin input/output header and then taking +Vout from the header through pins (13,15,17,19,21,23) taking ground from pins 25/26. Everything else left unconnected.
While this did get me output (getting AES/EBU from a SRC2496), it is very much distorted.
It seems that the signal is clipping all over the place and lowering the gain on digital -10db gets rid of some but still sound is awful. Original output board connected fully is working fine with the same signal.

Would you guys have a tip on what I'm missing? Should I ground the -VOut's from the Dacs?
Would I need to load the DAC output (which I've read is expecting a 1kOhm load), so a series resistor across the primaries of the trafo?

The output trafo specs:
in+ 7 (for instance +Vout from pin 21)
in- 6 (ground from pin 25)
out+ 9 (to RCA +)
out- 10 (to RCA shield)

The pin layout is as:
FEozykIl.png

Hi, :D
I am using a THAT 1512 for output from the DAC +- to SE and it has a gain control on that chip,If you look at mouser for it use 877 THAT 1512 and it will pop right up,some good circuits on the data sheet,
I almost have the boards and a sperate PS built and in the case,I stuck it together and had a listen ,I was happy with the sound,I'm not a good describer about sound ,but it's much better than before this mod,
NS:)

Last edited:
You want to feed the transformer for channel 1 out of pins 13 and 14. Ground is not needed when using a transformer.
Channel 2 output will use pins 15 and 16.

Do NOT use any series or parallel resistors. Not needed with transformers. DAC is completely happy with the high primary inductance of the transformer, assuming you don't heavily load the secondary.