BAF2022

Joined 2011
Paid Member
When Nelson's BAF2022 talk is uploaded to YouTube, carefully listen to his audio (this isn't on a visual slide) discussion of J113s. He says he has built a fixture to test J113s and has been able to cherry pick large numbers of them which work correctly (according to his personal definition of "work correctly") all the way up to 70 volts. S E V E N T Y volts. I don't think he mentioned the Test Yield, i.e., #70V_parts_found / total#_parts_tested . Or if he did, I didn't hear it.

Presumably, other people can build test fixtures to do similar things, and extract their own stash of 70 volt capable J113s. Fortunately it's not costly to acquire a big pile of raw units to put into the test procedure.

_

Attachments

• OCTOPART.png
    OCTOPART.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Just a big thank you...
My first BAF was 2019, where I displayed a preamp I built, and met a lot of great folks, enjoyed a lot of great gear.
As a paid Zoom participant for 2022 which was very enjoyable, I was a lucky winner of an ACA Mini!
Thank you to Nelson, Tom, Jim, and everyone involved in putting together the kits, making them available to members, and giving some to BAF2022 participants. A special thanks to the hardworking crew that do so much to put these great events together and make them so interesting and fun.
I'll probably build this tonight, but still on the fence whether I'll put it inside a chassis box or not.
Cheers,
Greg

Joined 2011
Paid Member
At BAF2022, I asked Paul Norton of Linear Systems to please start selling JFETs useful for bootstrapped cascode circuits. You want a large |Vpinchoff| and a large Vdg_max and a large Vds_max for this application. The old and now-obsolete J107 and J105 were pretty good for this application, if only their voltage ratings were higher. Paul said he would investigate.

Attachments

• Image1.png
    Image1.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,553
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Chicken ZM, like to control Vds of cascoded JFets

Slept with Papa Borbely papers month or so, in the end chickened both of White Cascode Follower and from JFet (high Vpinchoff) cascodes

aha, from current diodes too

from laterals too

from Preputium made of JFets and Mosfets in regs

though, still having DH101 driving Bose Roommates

:clown: