Babelfish XA252 / Babelfish XA252 SIT / Babelfish XA252 SET

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Heat sinks

I'm going to use these:-

Large Aluminium Heatsink - 320 X 300 X 75mm 12.5 X 12 X 3” Approx 5.5kg | eBay

They come from failed Power-One Aurora Pvi 3.0 Solar Pv Inverters I paid £30 each for 3 including shipping within the U.K. I plan to cut them in half to make approx 160 x 300 x 75 heatsinks. They require minimal other work (other than the drilling and tapping we all love to do!) I've also got 15mm thick aluminium for the front plates. Now all I need is a wonderful main PCB, possibly designed by a modest, self effacing, hard working genius who cares only of others.... I am prepared to post the case design when it's finished for anybody that would like it.
My unending thanks to Mr Pass and Zen Mod.
Stay safe.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Heat sink.

Thanks, I am assuming that when made into a mono chassis of, two half heatsinks, 15mm thick front plate and 3mm other panels (back top and base) would be good for 40 to 50 watts output. (Making a chassis overall 150mm high x 300mm deep x 450mm wide).

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Yes, true it is a disadvantage. I had thought of making the VFET version that would have needed connection via wires. (I suppose it may be a good idea to have a screen on those). Mounting the PCB with it's device on the other heatsink. I was also thinking of using a copper heat spreader bar 50 Wide x 10 Thick x 150 Long, (or so). All aimed at max even heat dissipation, and hence the ability to experiment with different bias values.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
no problem with SIT, or even one of pucks, to be mounted on other side/heatsink

in most cases with Papastyle amps, you'll getting enough thermal tracking for proper functionality even just from everything being in same containing volume ( meaning - box)

though, keeping gate stopper resistor near gate is a must , easy with soldering it on end of wire and using heatshrink

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi ZM, will you be selling board sets for this design in the near future - I assume for a stereo amp, one will need 2 off FE boards and 4 off OS boards. Also probably best built as monoblocks I would say.

Gary, that Wabbit is still in Woods, deep

though, as anything I made lately - as Pa is saying ......... I loooove to make amps ...... and I loooove selling them ....... (which allows me to make more amps)

Joined 2005
Paid Member
This is Zen-Mods "Dance of the seven veils", we are all excited after the fifth was removed, and by now think that we can see some really "interesting" bits.. I am sure that patience will be rewarded in good time, (after all, it is a virtue) and will be greatly entertained when we finally get to see Zen-Mods "Pride and joy"..
:)

Reactions: 1 user
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi ZM, will you be selling board sets for this design in the near future - I assume for a stereo amp, one will need 2 off FE boards and 4 off OS boards. Also probably best built as monoblocks I would say.

writing abouty nasty Wabbits, I forgot to address tech side of question

yes, two OS pcbs and one FE pcb - per channel

best made as monoblocks, counting on fact that I believe 150W of dissipation is lowest I can think of ; 200W even better

for 150W of heat, Modushop 4U/400 would be OK
for 200W of heat, Modushop 5U/500 logical step

though, if I get that Wabbit, it'll be at least 150W/8R/ch Beastie

later or sooner, I'm going to took my chances

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
lazy evening

not in a mood for some serious work (as ZM is ever serious, even when working)

so, few funny pics, just to show that things are often simpler than they looks

simplified schmtcs of one already made and of hypothetical one, that one called Wabbit, for now

of course- ignore parts numbering (if shown) - it's irrelevant

Attachments

• Babelfish XA252 simplicity.png
    Babelfish XA252 simplicity.png
    34.4 KB · Views: 600
  • Babelfish XA252 US simplicity.png
    Babelfish XA252 US simplicity.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 599
Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Revelation!!

See here

Few more, before sleep

After thorough examination, ZM's 'Rithmetic sez - these amps are simply not having stages at all

I devised Stageless amps!

:clown:

Attachments

• Babelfish XA252 SIT simplicity.png
    Babelfish XA252 SIT simplicity.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 562
  • Babelfish XA252 SET simplicity.png
    Babelfish XA252 SET simplicity.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 561
  • Babelfish XA252 SIT US simplicity.png
    Babelfish XA252 SIT US simplicity.png
    38 KB · Views: 541
  • Babelfish XA252 SET US simplicity.png
    Babelfish XA252 SET US simplicity.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 290
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
what!?

still no one made XA252 Ultrasymmetry amp?

naah.......

I did order FE pcbs today , for "Winter is coming" amp

:clown:

now, just to see whom I'm going to kill/rob, to buy 4N and 4P pucks

:devily:

in fact, I'm good - having 2+2, still on T-Bed 2, so I'm going one day to try/measure/tweak just one channel

I mean - either that, All the Glory...... or Public Disgrace, again

:rofl:

Attachments

• pcb eagle sshot.png
    pcb eagle sshot.png
    81.5 KB · Views: 312