Babelfish M25, SissySIT - general building tips and tricks

This measurement circuit?

Attachments

• SIT MEASUREMENT.png
    SIT MEASUREMENT.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 95
IMG_20220304_183705.jpg

Test setup with SLB PSU is ready. I've read the notes on the measurement circuit drawing. Just for my understanding, starting at -9 volts at gate of SIT means trimpots fully open, so lowest resistance, right?

Can I try the setup with bulb in place (on positive) just for safety sake? As I turn the pot the bulb should glow increasingly, right?

After previous errors I'd made I am slinging the bulb in where possible😅

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
dunno about pot twiddling orientation - can't remember so I don't care - multimeter is thing I'm trusting always, in memory never

so - without SIT drain connected, feel free to check neg value on SIT gate, ref to gnd, and set it to lowest down (as much negative it goes)

bulb in line with SIT drain will work it's job only at start of testing/setting, while Iq is still low

clever thing is to include 3A15 fuse in positive rail; when everything done - you can leave it in, or move it out

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
good

for future - invest at least 20 Greenies in each multimeter; my fave ( ZM Cheapskate) is Uni-T brand - you're always getting more than you paid for, and they're sturdy and long lasting

extremely cheapo ones are fiddly, you can't trust them ...... with time I decided that is better not using DMM at all, than using fiddly one

IMG_20220306_111430.jpg

Second SIT seems fine to, luckily,😅. Like you mentioned, they are tough. I mist admit that I am not a proper greedy boy yet, having no spare IRFP9240..

I will follow your advice and replace the MM's. These date from when I started with the ACA a few years ago, not knowing how addictive the hobby would become!

Anyway, I cant seem to trace back what I did wrong. I thought I only changed the transformers. I can try to follow you sequence of biasing again, or should I replace the IRFP9240 first?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
replace IRFP, prior to any further testing/setting work .... just in case
better safe than sorry ..... it is wise not exactly hurrying when you know Nirvana awaits :clown:

if you're not exactly savvy dealing with clumsy big pins and pads of IRFP, just cut the pins and deal with one at a time, to remove them and clean pad holes (with solder sucker) in the end

they're cheap (mosfets) anyway

I have made good progress! Biasing up as we speak, slowly increasing to 160mv on negative rails. I did notice something strange. I shorted the input with solder wire. If the short is not proper, or if the input is not shorted, It lowers by approx. 80mv on the negative rails (to 80/90mv). If i short the input properly, it goes back to 160mv. Is this expected behaviour?

If so, how does it bias if you have the inputs not shorted after you have soldered wires to your rca connectors?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
it is not expected behavior

there is no DC connection between input and output stage ( see that 10-22uF SIlmic) and input (voltage) state shouldn't influence output biasing in any way

is that the case with both channels?

it would be extremely handy that you have a scope, to check for any oscillations on output

no logic in that exactly, but Gremlins are above our Mortal Logic

though - be sure to recheck setting of input buffer - Iq (20mV across 1R) and DC Offset, rails voltage ( after cascodes)