Babelfish M25, SissySIT - general building tips and tricks

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
also, this was second and final ookup I made with these pcbs ( R.2)

#1886 https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...-building-tips-and-tricks.329316/post-6516142

all ref to enclosed schm

sissysit-r-2-png.805305

The 1n4148's all show roughly 450mv using diode test DMM.

ZD1R: 380mv
ZD2R: 450mv
ZD1L: 430mv
ZD2L 540mv

This is measured in circuit. Might be wise to replace ZD1 and 2 on both channels, as I destroyed both mosfets, right?

:smash:

Looking in my stash I have only 9.1v (1.3W) and 6.8v (0.5w) available. Does one of those work?

I'm not there yet, had to take a break for my better half;) something still odd though when connecting DMM to output, it still shifts 10mv from 170 to 160mv on negative rails (DMM across 0R1 in line).

Also on left channel my pot is lowest but can't get the buffer Lq lower than 24ma, turning pot only increases it. I believe this was already the case before. Right channel setting 20mv was fine.

I will continue tonight with buffer offset.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
no biggie with buffer - is it 20 or 24mA

rare case of needing maybe 47 ohms instead of 39R (R4) , in parallel to 100R trimpot (P2)

but - as I said - no biggie, just set it to minimum and set DC offset

are you having audio GND properly connected to chassis/safety GND, through NTC/whatever thingie?

if there is firm GND, all influences are minimized ...

Gents,
I'm reworking my SissySIT, and need your help for a mistake.
I'm troubleshooting transformer buzzing with the winder, and it looks like the toroids are not faulty.
While looking at my grounding, I see 30 ohms between both speaker negs.
I have a double mono PSU, with a star ground for chassis ground. Each cap bank PCBs has a spot for lifting audio ground from chassis ground using a CL60. I suspect the 30 ohms is the addition of the two CL60 in a loop through the chassis ground.
Should I add a wire between both audio grounds and remove one CL60 to break that loop?

Joined 2012
Paid Member
If each dual mono power supply has its ground connected to the chassis ground with a CL60, and a CL60 has a cold resistance of about 10 Ohm, then the resistance between the two speaker negatives should be the sum of the two CL60 resistance which would be 20 Ohm. If you measure 30 Ohm you have an extra 10 Ohm.

As a check you can disconnect both CL60 from the chassis ground and measure the cold resistance of the CL60. With the CL60 disconnected from chassis ground, you can measure the resistance between the speaker negative and chassis ground, which should now show infinite resistance.

With dual mono construction, joining of the two audio grounds should not be necessary.

Pictures of your amplifier would be helpful. Include at least one picture showing the overall layout.

I'll do more precise checks, but the two CL60 measure 14 and 15 Ohm in circuit.
And I'll post a picture.

This brainstorming comes from a buzzing behaviour of my toroids, but they don't buzz with no load and the buzz is not changed by a mains DC filter.
I have also tried to replace the four monolithic diode bridges with four MOSFET rectifiers, with the same outcome. That's why I'm questioning my layout, and having a resistance between audio grounds does not sound normal to me... but I'm not educated at all.