Babelfish M25, SissySIT - general building tips and tricks

mobile modushop 5U / 400mm. the transistors are placed on 4 mm aluminum angles. Temperature around 50 ° C of the heatsinks

bu.jpg

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
your thingie:

Thermal Performance vs. Pressure
TO-220 Thermal Performance, ºC/W
@ 10 psi 2.82
@ 25 psi 2.64
@ 50 psi 2.41
@ 100 psi 2.13
@ 200 psi 1.9

Keratherm, check K/W:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1006/5046/files/kerafol_keratherm_red.pdf

try to beat conversion (area etc.) but numbers are saying what I suspected ........

not saying that it not exist, but I still didn't stumble on any silpad safe to put under 40W heated mosfet

max what you can allow is, say, 10C of difference between heatsink ditto by mosfet and mosfet case

Joined 2012
Paid Member
The angle seems a bit thin at 4mm. It also looks like the mosfet is not fully on the angle. There seems to be a bit of overhang. When temperature is at a critical level, every little bit makes a difference, including the thermal interface as ZM said.

Since the mosfet is mounted on the angle, the heat sink temperature is not a good indicator of mosfet temperature, especially when the angle is thin. The angle is offering some thermal resistance between the mosfet and the heat sink.

this gives me pause as I do not have any speaker protection on my sissy and i used similar angle bar but i did use keratherm. I have on occasion wondered if I was putting my speakers at risk but the amp has been solid since i built it, aside from minor dc drift on the output but never more than 100mV .

EDIT - based on ZM's comment, i did use 5mm angle. Still a wonderful amp

and I don't remember that you posted pictures of build, earlier .... or I would react about squishy silpads and maybe even thickness of L profiles

5mm is really minimum thickness (though, it still looks as 5mm on pictures)

if you did....................

I did not
I made choices, I was wrong, it's my fault.
... and maybe I should have equipped myself with a speaker protector
all my mistakes

in the construction I sent some posts:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...-building-tips-and-tricks.329316/post-5662572