Babelfish M25, SissySIT - general building tips and tricks

Joined 2019
Paid Member
@damuffin -

Not to pile on with advice, but:

1) Do you have a dim bulb tester? If so, have you used it to check both the PSU first and then each amp board separately. If not... others may advise, but I'd strongly advocate putting one together and using it to do some quick checks. The behavior seems like a dead short.

2) Did you follow ZMs advice and disconnect the PSU before doing the continuity checks? How do you know you're frying your 9240s? What method are you using to check them?

With due respect, my best advice is to.... Slow down... do one channel at a time. If you actually are frying your FETs why do it in multiples of two at a time?

Hope you get it sorted.

Edited to Add - +1 to Ben Mah === :rofl:

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Have you ever used your dim bulb tester? i.e. do you know what to look for if your circuit is playing nice or has a short?

Dim Bulb testing is covered all over the place, but a quick and dirty summary (pasted).

1) Hook up PSU ONLY. Test with Dim Bulb. Report back what you see. Stop here if you have a short in the PSU, otherwise move to 2.
2) Hook up ONLY PSU and channel 1. Test with Dim Bulb. Report back what you see.
3) Hook up ONLY PSU and channel 2. Test with Dim Bulb. Report back what you see.

If moving from 2 to 3 is too much of a pain due to de-soldering - then just get to step 2.

When we ask how you're doing something, be specific. Continuity between pins when it's in the circuit or after you've removed it from the board? Don't power it w/o the 9240.

Good idea re: the traces. Per previous advise also - check UNDER the board and ensure no legs are touching your sinks.

Best advice ever... use ZMs above everyone else's. :D

Last edited:
Unsoldered both fets. 7805 at 5v on right output pin, with light bulb.
If sit is fried would it take out 9240?
Sit drain and source buzz both directions on diode test is that correct?
Thanks for everyone’s help! I hate to post this stuff, but it’s really humbling when your clueless. Haha

PSU is working great, smoking bugs and fuses like it’s fun. :)
And my unsoldering skills have never been better.

Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
@damuffin -

I'll let ZM get back to you re: voltage checks. I don't remember anyone telling you to do the voltage checks with the dim bulb tester in place, but it sounds like you've put it in place by saying "with light bulb". Generally, you don't do your voltage checks with the bulb in place... but that's ZM's territory.

Did you do as I suggested and hook up your PSU all by itself with no boards attached and do the dim bulb check? If so, what did you see re: the light bulb? How did it behave?

Don't worry too much about asking follow up questions re: what may or may not get taken out. Answer the questions you've been asked specifically. You have a few yet to answer. I'll pause for now until you get caught up.

It may be easiest to quote the question in your response and then type your response. That way people know precisely what you've done. When you say, "smoking" - are the parts actually releasing the magic smoke, or are you assuming that they're dead? You still haven't answered whether you checked for continuity in the circuit or removed and if you unhooked the power supply per ZMs advice if they're in the circuit.

Not a worry in the world. We've all been there at some point.

The PSU is putting out 24-25V on each rail. The light bulb comes on and then goes out once the capacitance is charged. The 7805 is a tiny load so The bulb has no effect.

I’m guessing the sit is broken and taking out 9240 when powered. Any other ideas?

How can I test Sit?
I have the page bookmarked for matching SIT devices can I try that, 24v and 9V on potentiometer.

SissySIT

The devices are isolated and tested with Multi meter resistance.. Keratherm and goop on sit. mika and goop on 9240.

Last edited:
Source,1K,+9v-, grid. (Testing SIT)
Drain to source measures open loop and closed loop without power. I’m unsure if the other measurements are relative to the Tokin.
At the bottom of the test post it says.

“In time, the VFET gate to channel interface breaks down and the VFET will start behaving strangely, leaking and resulting in full breakdown of it's mated BJT, in turn destroying both.”

Joined 2012
Paid Member
There are three tests:

1. NO battery. Diode test D-G, and S-G. Should show as diode.

2. NO battery. Connect G to S with 1K resistor in series, measure resistance D-S. Should show low resistance.

3. Battery with 1K resistor in series, positive to S and negative to G. Measure resistance D-S. Should show high resistance.

Best to try this and see what you get.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
What do you mean by "closed loop"?

When -9V is applied to G-S, D-S should measure very high resistance as the negative voltage to gate turns the device off.

When you shorted G-S and measured a low resistance, that is expected as the device is turned on fully and D-S is fully conducting.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
first thing novice need to learn is difference between enhanced and depletion devices , thinking strictly about positive (N) polarity parts , then trying to break own head to grasp same for negative (P) polarity devices

learning how Triode is working is useful , giving basic for later musings

:rofl:

Attachments

• SIT MEASUREMENT.png
    SIT MEASUREMENT.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 214