B1 with Korg Triode

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I haven’t tested all the “cost no object” ones. Goldpoint makes a nice finished volume+selector but price is around $400-600 depending in options. TVC transformers may be the ultimate, not sure who offers DIY versions right now (Slagle is great but no more DIY sales). You can find TVC preamps for sale, at least $800 used if not much more. DACT the true Danish company sells some on Parts Connexion that are nice. Khozmo has lots and lots of options, they’re beautiful but I haven’t tried them for sonic test. Tortuga sells neat kits but you have to accept LDR have a little extra capacitance so there is a mild amount of subjective quality on top of accuracy.

Not sure what Pass Labs high end uses, maybe relay to resistor networks controlled by Alps? Maybe chip controlled for remote? Firstwatt is Alps blue (I think suck), but that’s only this product, all amps are not integrated (no volume).

well, I made what I intended :clown:

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi,
I purchased a chasiss, as i have a built board already. Can someone please provide the hole sizes for:
1. The toggle switch holes.
2. The volume knob cut out(what size knob fits the hole).

Thanks Jeffrey

This was the specification, I am finding out if there were any substitutions due to drill bit availability and will respond when known.

• Galaxy 230x170 full aluminum chassis, anodized black with white printing
  • Internal dimensions 40x210x170mm
  • LED hole ø2mm
  • Left switch
  • - Hole ø6.5mm
  • - 15mm x 15mm square rear recess, 7mm deep
  • Right switch
  • - Hole ø6.5mm
  • - 15mm x 24mm rectangular rear recess (allows for switch and LED), 7mm deep
  • Potentiometer hole ø10mm, with ø32mm round recess in the front ø8mm deep
  • Rear RCA holes ø10mm
  • Rear power switch hole ø11mm

Last edited:
This was the specification, I am finding out if there were any substitutions due to drill bit availability and will respond when known.

• Galaxy 230x170 full aluminum chassis, anodized black with white printing
  • Internal dimensions 40x210x170mm
  • LED hole ø2mm
  • Left switch
  • - Hole ø6.5mm
  • - 15mm x 15mm square rear recess, 7mm deep
  • Right switch
  • - Hole ø6.5mm
  • - 15mm x 24mm rectangular rear recess (allows for switch and LED), 7mm deep
  • Potentiometer hole ø10mm, with ø32mm round recess in the front ø8mm deep
  • Rear RCA holes ø10mm
  • Rear power switch hole ø11mm

Thanks Jason!

So my relatives have decided to stay put in Florida. I took a general inventory of the Completion Kit parts, and I didn’t see anything for mounting/damping like foam or rubber tape to mount under the Korg Triode IC. What is the general consensus for the best damping material?

Last edited:

sov

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Glue. I glued the tube and I have no ringing unless I hit/hard-tap the B1K. I use a stepped volume pot. If you have unstable floor or stand perhaps a foam and loose cables are the right thing to do.

Attachments

• IMG_2467.jpg
    IMG_2467.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 754
...and I didn’t see anything for mounting/damping like foam or rubber tape to mount under the Korg Triode IC. What is the general consensus for the best damping material?

Mine came with some small white foam pads in the box—I took these to be for that purpose?. What a beautiful object!

I'm hoping I can participate in this pre-build... Still waiting for the PCBs to come back in stock. I'm hopeful though!

Mine came with some small white foam pads in the box—I took these to be for that purpose?. What a beautiful object!

I'm hoping I can participate in this pre-build... Still waiting for the PCBs to come back in stock. I'm hopeful though!

I have now built (2) B1 Korgs, (1) NuHybrid headphone amp, (1) NuTube Buffer and (1) NuClassD power amplifier (uses 2 NuTubes, one per channel). That's a total of (6) NuTubes. They have all been mounted using the little double sided foam pads supplied with the device, stuck directly to the PCB and the device leads soldered directly into the PCB.

I only had a problem with one of the NuTubes, and that was one channel of the NuClassD amp. It turns out the filament will resonate around 5 KHz which is the ringing you can sometimes hear when you tap on the tube. Apparently some tubes ring worse than others. Interestingly enough, slightly increasing the NFB using the circuit trim pot designed for that purpose, which reduced the overall tube circuit gain and cleaned up the signal a bit, solved the problem without resorting to additional physical vibration isolation. This problem and its attendant solution may be peculiar to the NuClassD design, which uses both halves of the tube in parallel to provide the voltage gain for one amplifier channel.

The NuTube does not generate enough heat to matter, so one way to reduce any low level ringing that might not be obvious but still might be very subtly coloring the sound, would be to apply some damping to the exposed side of the tube glass and the connections to the PCB. I intend to experiment with this, and will report back.

I bought the Korg NuTube and Pass DIY PCB a few months ago and I never opened the NuTube box until I read your post. Just as you described, I found two pieces of the white foam pads. I will use these for starters. Thanks. Thanks

I answered my own question--the diode is the 1N4739 Zener diode that goes into the power supply filter.

I measured all the resistors that came in the bag and followed the construction instructions in Nelson Pass' First Watt article: http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_diy_nutube_preamp.pdf.

Starting with the shortest components, I first installed the resistors:
Pass DIY Korg NuTube 1.jpg

Next, I added the Fairchild JFETs that came with the bias resistors and PCB:
Pass DIY Korg NuTube 2.jpg

I then added the Nichicon FW capacitors, NuTube and diode:
Pass DIY Korg NuTube 4.jpg

I will begin work on the chassis and connections tomorrow.