B&K ST-202 Plus :: hum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
VDC?
You said 0vac. If that was 0vdc then we have a serious problem somewhere. Measuring across R9 should be around 2VDC lower than the main +DC rail voltage. If you measure 75VDC across the main power supply caps then R9 should be approx 73VDC if all is well.

If you have a DBT then use it while taking these measurements. It will drop the DC rail voltage but it may limit any damage from a slipped probe. Just let us know you used the DBT while taking the measurements so we can allow for that.

VDC?
You said 0vac. If that was 0vdc then we have a serious problem somewhere. Measuring across R9 should be around 2VDC lower than the main +DC rail voltage. If you measure 75VDC across the main power supply caps then R9 should be approx 73VDC if all is well.

If you have a DBT then use it while taking these measurements. It will drop the DC rail voltage but it may limit any damage from a slipped probe. Just let us know you used the DBT while taking the measurements so we can allow for that.

Yes, I always use the variac/dbt on stuff like this ... not that I do much. But I don't want to take any chances.

I am measuring VDC. #2 is measuring -1.051v

Red arrow + DC rail
Blue arrow - DC rail
The whole strip along the back of the board is ground, the screws on either side attached to that strip are ground.

Attachments

• ps.jpg
    ps.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 69
Wow, thats a crazy high DC voltage even if the transformer is unloaded as in both channels disconnected the voltage is really high. The schematic I posted earlier says the ST202+ should have 75vdc on the rails. I could see it going up to 76 - 78VDC maybe unloaded, but not 87.5vdc.

Unless someone accidently retapped the transformer for 100VAC service at some point in the past. I noticed on the picture of the transformer you posted before that it is a multi-voltage selectable transformer. According to the transformer rating plate it should be putting out 43VAC X 2. Oh well we'll return to that a bit later.

Turn your variac down to where you're measuring about 75VDC across the +DC rail cap to bring the volts down to a safe level for the main caps. We'll have to find out whats going on here later.

You should be measuring +87VDC at Point 2 on the picture I posted last night. Unless you blew the +DC rail fuse on the bottom of the power supply board if not then you either have an open positive rail wire or trace on this board.

Turn the amplifier off and let it discharge the main capacitors completely.

Set your meter for Ohms then measure the two leads shorted out to make sure your leads are good. They should measure < 1ohm shorted. Now with the amp powered off and fully discharged put your positive probe on the +dc rail screw (refer to earlier picture) and put your ground probe on point #2 on the channel board, how many ohms are you reading? It should be < 1ohm.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.