• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, it is BNC, you can also install RCA if your cable is terminated that way.

To use Toslink at the DAC input you need to install toslink receiver and wire it p2p including voltage supply. Not a big deal really.

Below is the pic of one of the DACs with Toslink and source selector switch added.

Attachments

• optical 1.jpg
    optical 1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,926
Transformer hum in DAC

Peter,
I have assembled your USB NOS DAC and am very happy with its performance.
One question.. there is a fairly audible 60hz hum that comes from the DAC audible from about a foot away. I assume it comes from the transformer. Is this normal, and should I be concerned? There is nothing in the signal path. Speakers are dead quiet when music is not playing. I have the DAC mounted securely to a 1" thick piece of wood which i suspect would dampen any physical vibration.

re hammond hum

Thanks Peter,
I'm glad to hear that I don't need to be concerned.

I tried loose mounting screws and see what you mean. It does sound a little better.

I also read in an old Black Gate technical report that they recommended gluing radial BG caps to the pcb reducing the vibration transfered to the insides. I had already soldered the caps in place, so I just took a glue gun and put a little glue around the base of the caps and the pcb. I don't know if I imagine it, but I am convinced that there is a significant improvement in the sound. It is like everything is even more precise and defined. Imaging is razor sharp, and more space around individual instruments. I can't say how much the effect comes from the DAC, or the chipamp as I did the same to the caps on the chip amps and power supply at the same time. It would be interesting to know if anyone else has had a similar experience.

removed the sleeve from the coupling caps

Right you are again! With the sleeves removed from the coupling caps there is yet another improvement in clarity. This mod combined with securing the BG caps to the pcb is enough to make you listen to all your music as if on a new system. The renewed transperancy is causing me to reevaluate favorate cuts.

I got my lm4780 kit and it looks great. Sorry to change topic but... I think my input resistors are 220 instead of 270?? red red brown black brown. I metered them at 220 aswell(crappy multimeter). should i go ahead and use them? I just checked my other kit and they have 220 also. Thanks for the help in advance!

KOA said:
I got my lm4780 kit and it looks great. Sorry to change topic but... I think my input resistors are 220 instead of 270?? red red brown black brown. I metered them at 220 aswell(crappy multimeter). should i go ahead and use them? I just checked my other kit and they have 220 also. Thanks for the help in advance!

Those resistors are not critical and presently I'm supplying 220R, same as for LM3875 kit.

Can anyone provide any additional location dimensions for the 6 mounting holes in the gold DAC board? ie definition of the hole pattern?

I waded through a zillion posts to find that the holes are 22 mm from on end of the PCB and 25 mm from the other end, but I'm still in need of the width spacing as well as the location of the center holes.

Thanks in advance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.