• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dual mono

I have a Dual Mono AudioSector LM3875 ChipAmp.

I need a schematic of the connections between:
- two (2) transformers -120VA (approx) transformers from Apex Jr. (Chia Yu Co Ltd).
Input: 2 X 120Vac
Output 42Vct 21V- 0 - 21V
- two(2) PS boards and the two (2) amplifiers boards

I searched here but I did not find. Sorry....

Colin said:
I'm sure this will have been posted before but am I right in thinking the difference between the LM4780 and the LM3875 is that the former offers more power at the expense of a little transparency?

If you use LM4780 in stereo configuration (2 channels from a single chip) you will not notice any loss in resolution.

Parallel connection affect resolution slightly, but if your aim is more current, it is rather negligable.

Overall, LM3886 and as well LM4780, has slightly less refinement in mids and highs. So if your goal is best sound quality, LM3875 could be preferred.

However, I was using balanced LM4780 in my main system for 6 months or so and I couldn't complain ;)

peter,

do you have any photos of your balanced LM4780 amp you would be willing to post or have you already done so somewhere else?

is the signal balanced from the source or are you using transformers at the input of the amp to balance?

did you switch to LM4780 (2XLM3886) because the LM3875 was clipping when bridged?

i'm probably not alone in my curiosity for your latest design.

thanks,
Tim

It's pretty old amp and I was using it few years ago. It is still in use in my secondary workshop system. The balanced signal was provided by ML380S preamp.

I've built the amp to check the potential of LM4780 kit.

The amp was described here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=636575#post636575

BTW, from kit ordering page you can get directly to forum discussion (on the particular kit) by clicking Applications Notes link, as below.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,546
I've tried to search, but could not find, also in the datasheet I could not find that : what is the +-3dB (or whatever tolerance) bandwith if these chips ?
It will sound crazy, but beside a DC motor control for a turntable I'm seeking for a buffer for a 3 phase motor after tha generator and before the 24V motor. The problem is, I need about 8Hz to 60Hz bandwith. It is not a problem if all tree attenuates some, but with similar degree, but if one attenuates more than other, that is a problem because the torque will not be constant.

Sorry for the alien kind of question :), Please let me know what you experienced as low freq point (actually I do not know the correct word in English for the low -3dB point). What about DC ?

Thanks,

JG

I heard the LM3875 gaincard used with the Jordan JX92S at the Montreal Hifi show several years ago. So, within the context of my memory several years later and the show where you hear 200 systems in a span of hours, that system was memorable. I won't speak to the exact details, but I have built Peters LM3875 kit and it is fantastic and I should be getting a pair of Jordans soon from the group buy.

In other words, I have heard it done to great success.:) and am on the road to doing it myself.

DaveM,

Thanks. Just what I was looking for. I have Jordans now (and another pair coming from the group buy as well). I have heard that GCs performance is dependent on associated source/load, so my question...I will be using Peters DAC and the Jordans. I was looking for confirmation, or not, that the combo worked.

Colin,

Thanks for the links.

t

Colin,

Cab is a 6x6x36 quarter-wave 3xfolded transmission line similar except in shape to the triangular design at Jordans site. Close to wall placement and a small sub precludes need for BSC. I have no idea how other designs compare, but am happy with the sound of the JX92S in this one...I am glad to hear others feel Peters amp design will drive the Jordans well as I am fond of the JX92Ss' off-axis presentation.

t

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.