Audio Precision System Sys1 USB Interface

Analogbuff,

Yes, your correct - my Bad, as I'm lead to understand the problem with Windows XP and later OS's is that one cannot directly "Bit Bang" the LPT port....

I find it hard to believe the MS has locked down the physical hardware so much, but what do I know...

JohnW ,
it is also sad - for us legacy AP owners , mainly
that AP at the time decided to put their faith in w98 OS / HW interaction.
instead of, say, a more generalised Linux approach,
that could still be made workable with later HW.
Armed with 20/20 hindsight, that was unfortunate.
Most network routers and a lot of other stuff run Linux today, perhaps to dodge similar unpredictable Win issues.
XP works with Pcmcia cards and APwin, but by now you have to run XP in a hermetic box.

An AP-Linux option would have been nice.

I'm happy With Windows XP does everything I need without super computer resources just to manage the OS...

As far as I understand, I'm pretty sure I've had AP's working with WinXP, you just need the correct PCI or PCMCIA controller card with drivers...its just the use of the LPT port that does not work with anything later then Win98SE, which is just one OS generation "unusable" today... (OK 2000 not great, but then XP's fine).

I'm happy With Windows XP does everything I need without super computer resources just to manage the OS...

As far as I understand, I'm pretty sure I've had AP's working with WinXP, you just need the correct PCI or PCMCIA controller card with drivers...its just the use of the LPT port that does not work with anything later then Win98SE, which is just one OS generation "unusable" today... (OK 2000 not great, but then XP's fine).

Yes that is correct. In addition there are two types of ISA APIB cards, one that is working only with old DOS software and other one that is made to work with APWIN software. The one marked for APWIN works under the latest 2.24 vers. software in XP. The disadvantage here is obviously that ISA slot is available on mostly old machines, but some could still run XP. That is how I am running my S1 2322. Despite that fact, it works reliably well and fast enough for all measurements.

Here is also software compatibility chart:
http://www.ap.com/kb/show/186

Last edited:
AR2, thank you for the confirmation - I used AP's almost daily on the production lines in China, but never take note of there exact configuration.

Does anyone have a spare *ISA, PCI, PCIE, or PCMCIA APIB interface adapter for sale?

*The ISA variant that can be used with APWIN 2.24

I have the APIB Lead for the PCMCIA Card, but cannot find the card itself...

AR2, thank you for the confirmation - I used AP's almost daily on the production lines in China, but never take note of there exact configuration.

Does anyone have a spare *ISA, PCI, PCIE, or PCMCIA APIB interface adapter for sale?

*The ISA variant that can be used with APWIN 2.24

I have the APIB Lead for the PCMCIA Card, but cannot find the card itself...

John, I suggest to check here with Duke A.
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/Classic-AP-Audio-Systems-Group-3021200

I'm not a member of Linkedin, nor due to there constant aggressive spamming do I ever plan to be.

I spoke with Duke, A nice guy and very helpful, he no longer has any cards available.

If no one has spare cards for sale, then I'd consider purchasing a New AP's USB to ABIP for anyone who has a system two or later and is interested in swapping there internal or PCMICA card for the AP USB Pod.

At the end of the day I will need two or three cards...

Last edited:
Hi,

The Interface will work with S1 and S2 (before Cascade) with the APWIN 2.24 Software (the latest one that supports the older S1 and S2 systems) on Win XP and Win 7/8.
The Hardware and the Firmware is not related to the AP USB interface firmware.

This started as a DIY project to learn something about USB and not with the aim to make a 1:1 AP USB interface clone.

The two interfaces use the FX2 chip by change. The FX2 is the only High-Speed USB 2.0 chip which is DIY friendly and comes in a small 56 pin package.
The AP interface uses the 128 pin package.
With hindsight it is probably not necessary to use the High-Speed USB mode (480 Mbit/s) as the data rates are less than 8 Mbit/s. But the latency is mutch smaller with the higher speeed and this may be important as the AP interface transmitts a lot of small commands.

I had a lot of other work last month as i work in a new project and unfortunately did not had time to find the bug with the DSP module.
But this weekend the plan is to find the bug in the firmware and i hope to finalize the thing:)....

Thx, Udo

Hi Udo,

Nice work. Have a S1 and a S2 (2522) here. Both on connected to very old machine's.

Will the interface still work with a Sys-2522 with the default drivers of AP. Will it show as a AP USB APIB Adapter clone because of the same FX2LP chip ?

Greetz

Udo, thanks a lot ,
I wish you luck, what you do is *really* important to a lot of people.
your USB-Apib will fill a need that is most neglected by AP , a way
to support anyone trying to keep older S1, and S2 (before cascade) running.
JohnW ´s difficulty in getting an AP Pcmcia interface card is another unwelcome surprise.
S2´s with cascade run with AP´s USB I/F and 2700 software.

Good news: I found the problem with the DSP module initialization error.
The timing of the read strobe was too tight and the DSP module needs a more relaxed timing.
Simply extending the read and write strobe pulse width by 10% solved the problem.

The interface is working now with Win 7, APWIN 2.24 and S1 without any problems as far as i have tested it.

It should work with any Windows from Win XP upwards too. I will test this as soon as possible.
I will ask Evan and John to do some tests with S2 to see that there a no more problems left.

Additionally i need an USB identifier number. The official USB committee wants a lot of money for just giving out a number...
any help here is highly appreciated :)

I think it is time to go ahead and produce a small batch for anyone who wants the interface.

Please send me an email with your post address to <apusb@krebelder.at>.
The costs will depend on the batch size and i expect it to be in the region of 150 € + shipping.

Thx, Udo

Last edited:
Udo,

Thats brilliant NEWS, I'll take 3 please :) I'm happy if you send one complete (I can use it as the reference example), and I can build the others if it helps with your workload - I work with fine pitch SMD everyday :)

As for the USB identifier number - can you not just use a generic number, I'm fine with what you have used for development / testing...

Wonder if it will also work with my SYS2722? - I also have some AP switchers - see if they work.

Last edited:
The generic USB number will work, but a unique number ensures that there are no conflicts.

The I/F uses the generic Microsoft Winusb.sys and a rewritten apio.dll which redirects the low level communication to the Winusb.sys driver.
The APWIN 2.24 without the low level driver is compatible to newer windows versions.

At the moment it is only tested with APWIN 2.24.
I have seen that newer APWIN software adds some calls to apio.dll.
Maybe i can check this if it is needed.
At the moment i want to concentrate on the older S1 and S2.

Some tests with the AP switchers is highly welcome!

If i am i need of a faster scope / logic analyzer i will come back to your generous offer!

I'm lead to understand the problem with Windows XP and later OS's is that one cannot directly "Bit Bang" the LPT port....

Actually, you can, I've used some crummy JTAG parallel port programmers on a windows XP (or maybe seven) box a few years ago. You need a special software which is free, however (sorry) I can't remember the name. If you really need it try googling parallel port with keywords like permissions, access, low level etc.

USB is so much better though.

I'm not a member of Linkedin, nor due to there constant aggressive spamming do I ever plan to be.

I spoke with Duke, A nice guy and very helpful, he no longer has any cards available.

If no one has spare cards for sale, then I'd consider purchasing a New AP's USB to ABIP for anyone who has a system two or later and is interested in swapping there internal or PCMICA card for the AP USB Pod.

At the end of the day I will need two or three cards...

Don't want to drag things too far OT, but I reject all "social media" except for Linkedin. It's been extremely useful for staying connected with people, and in many cases reconnecting with people I haven't seen in decades. I avoid the main page where the update feed is. I have no idea what "constant aggressive spamming" you're talking about, as I don't get much more than "here's who's looking at your profile" every few days. That's pretty low noise in my book.

Back to the topic, Duke recently had a PCI card for sale on ebay. Yes, the price was "too high", but we all understand why the prices are where they are, and I don't fault him for that. That's why we're all here, jonesin' for this interface, right?

Duke recently had a PCI card for sale on ebay. Yes, the price was "too high", but we all understand why the prices are where they are, and I don't fault him for that. That's why we're all here, jonesin' for this interface, right?

Yes I noticed, but his price was indeed "Too high" (IIRC it was only a little less then AP's new price) - I bought a fully loaded AP S1 Dual domain (IMD, W&F, Burst etc) with an PCMCIA card for less then the price of the card that was being offering, I also noticed that it did not sell.

I can use the PCMCIA with my SYS2722.... and use UDO's USB pods for my AP1's - hopefully in time we can get the SYS2722 working with Udo's Pod as USB is so much more convenient.

Mind you for the SYS2722, AP sell there own USB pod for around US350 so its not too bad (Sadly AP's pod does not support S1's).

I once read that AP's USB pod does not work with the S2 2322 but I had one working on my S2 2322 dual domain (under XP) so I'm not sure what's going on.