Audio Precision System Sys1 USB Interface

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I got two of the low noise fans, put them in series on 24V and they run fine. Looking at the voltage division there's some wobbling but no more than 1V so that seems OK.
I also noted that at the back of the ATS-2 there's a cover on a slot which probably is for some option connector.
It is almost - not quite, but good enough for goverment work - as wide as the fan dimension, so they will be mounted on the outside.
I will replace that cover with a custom PCB holding the two fans so I get almost the original air flow but almost inaudible.
The PCB will also have the headers for the necessary connection.
The nice thing is that I can convert back to original with no changes to the case.
Sometimes you need to go off on a tangent I guess ...

Jan

fan pcb ats-2.PNG

fan pcb inside ats-2.PNG

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It's alive! Mounted two low noise fans where the GPIO slot sits.
It's running well, although I do hear a slight beat as the two fans don't run at exact same speed.
But the noise is much, much lower now.
I just have to keep an eye on the air temp initially to make sure the air flow is sufficient.

Jan

Attachments

• 20230921_141624.jpg
    20230921_141624.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 20230921_141657.jpg
    20230921_141657.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 77
Hi Jan
During the development process I calculated the power and then put a few DALE POWER RESISTORS inside an SWR box and ran thermal testing. This lead me that, the box size needed to change and fan was requred.

If you can place your under side of your arm flat on the cover of the ATS2 after 30-40 min of power on you fans are working GREAT.
The ATS2 runs about 45 watts and without a fan the MTBF is poor.
Duke

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Duke,

Actually the only part of the ATS box that becomes appreciably warmer is the rear right side where the power supply regulators are bolted to the side wall. The rest stays almost at ambient.
Interestingely, I had one case when the fans didn't immediately start up but oscillated between the two.
Took a few minutes, then they both got up to speed.
I'm thinking what I can do to prevent it occuring again, maybe a 15V zener across each to avoid one hogging all the voltage?

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There is a cover that sits over the internal chassis.
What might be an option is using the present holes meant for rack mounting.
Maybe I look into that at some point in time, see what the thermal situaltion looks with that option.
But in any case it does not take care of the heat developed across a square foot of PCB board.

Jan

Yes I noticed, but his price was indeed "Too high" (IIRC it was only a little less then AP's new price) - I bought a fully loaded AP S1 Dual domain (IMD, W&F, Burst etc) with an PCMCIA card for less then the price of the card that was being offering, I also noticed that it did not sell.

I can use the PCMCIA with my SYS2722.... and use UDO's USB pods for my AP1's - hopefully in time we can get the SYS2722 working with Udo's Pod as USB is so much more convenient.

Mind you for the SYS2722, AP sell there own USB pod for around US350 so its not too bad (Sadly AP's pod does not support S1's).

I once read that AP's USB pod does not work with the S2 2322 but I had one working on my S2 2322 dual domain (under XP) so I'm not sure what's going on.
hi,
I have the same S2 2322 and a USB-Apib pod from AP, but they didn't working together ,I had try several apio.DLL from AP , may I have your apio.dll to try?
thanks a lot.

Hi fever & JohnW
The Audio Precision USB BOX Runs 2700 Ver 3.3 and ATS Ver 1.6. It will not work with ApWin 2.14 / 2.24 or ATS Ver 1.5 or lower software.

ApWin 2.14 / 2.24 or ATS Ver 1.5 or lower software, is used with PCMCIA, ISA & PCI CARDS. To make the software work with USB the “apio.dll of 68KB (S1. S2, S2c) / 92KB (ATS Ver 1.5 or lower)” must be changed to the newer version that supports APIB USB ADAPTER “apio.dll of 178KB”
Duke
duke.aguiar@ieee.org

APIB USB ADAPTERS USERS:

Several have opened the APIB USB ADAPTERS and upon reclosing them have had FAILURES (Not working) after reclosing the adapter.

The problem is that the USB cable became UNTWISTED. The 4 wires RED, BLACK, GREEN & WHITE now have big loops and the DATA LINES have high VSWR and now the data is crumped.

They were twisted and a small black try wrap held them tightly twisted making a good transmission line.

Hi all,
This post = just a basic question about Audio Precision gears.
I know a bit about Audio Precision "boxes".
But I admit I never understood how useful they can be.
Does someone be kind to explain ?....

To be clear : to me,
1. an Audio Precision "box" is a tool for people that like the "plug/play/read the results" of these devices
2. people that have low knowledge of "what's up on the PCB" of the device-under-test

Thus, to me, using a AP gear is quite useless (low-end so to speak) given that it gives no-info vs the relevant processes that affect the SQ, processes that are on the PCB of the device-under-test.

I even more do not understand how someone can use a AP gear, given that :
  • it's very very pricey (>10kEur), although it can give poor/few results
  • in the market we have many very cheap devices (@ 100Eur) that able anyone to investigate at PCB level "what's going on ?" :)

so... why using a 10kEur device...
please help me to understand how bloody useful an AP gear is !(y)