Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Hi all! I’ve finally received the last parts for my Ian Canada streamer-dac build. Last for now, who knows what I’ll do in the future 😁

List of parts: RPI 4B, Station Pi Pro, FifoPi Q7 with Accusilicon AS318B 45MHz and 49 MHz, 9038Q2MPi dual mono Dac and the Ed’s controller, OPA861 I/V, LinearPis and UcConditioner with Maxwell caps (5pieces) and 3 audio grade trafos from MPAudio 2x6VAC/60VA each.

One power supply for the station + rpi, one for the FIFO, one for the dac and two in series for the opa.

Currently running on RCA as I am limited to that due to the amplifier (Wadia Intuition). I’ve just set the dac in true sync and I can just say it sounds amazing. Very detailed but at the same time very relaxed and natural, no harshness unless the recording is harsh. Can’t wait for daylight so I can listen more and louder.

Thanks all that have helped and thank you @iancanada for the great products and the help!

Attaching some pics of the current state of the build. The “case” will be changed to a “cleaner one”, better cuts and more permanent holes.

LE: added a pic with the full system. Speakers are a pair of DIY enhanced “clones” of Monitor Audio Pl200mk2 with an additional mid range on top (not my work).
@zangalucian

Your project looks great and awesome and cognized. Thank you for sharing.
I like the idea of mounting the transformers on the bottom side of the back plate. Very smart.

I'm working on my SC-PURE clocks. I believe they will bring more improvements to your system. The changes on the sound quality are promising in my system. Hopefully I will post some pictures of the SC-PURE prototypes very soon.

Ian

Reactions: 5 users
@iancanada
The OPA861 manual states that the RCA connections are only for testing purposes. Is that because they are not balanced, like the XLR connections?
Gabster brings the RCA connections to the outside of his case, since he very critical on quality, I assume that the XLR and RCA connections carry the same signal, Vout- & Essl+.
The RCA is not that good as the XLR, it was because RCA has only contains half for the balanced signals. Please never use an adapter to convert the OPA861 XLR output into RCA, that will short half or the left and right output through GND.

@Lso & @iancanada, I have also confirmed Ian's Dual Mono EA9038Q2M DAC will power up ok & play ok without VCCA powered.

I have not tried to assess any SQ differences at this point. Probably won't get to that tonight.

Nor have I tried reconfiguring the DAC back to ASRC mode to confirm whether it works ok in that mode without VCCA. Likely let someone else do that.

Ian, excited by your new clocks! Take my money, please!
Thanks Greg,

I'll try it by myself once I have time.

I'm running my SC-PURE clocks in my system:
FifoPiQ7
HdmiPiPro
UcPure MkIII

8K HDMI cable to my Spring3 R2R with PLL disabled.

I'm happy with SQ. The sound stage is awesome. I almost push the SC-PURE to its limit but still looking for more.

Ian

Reactions: 4 users
Ok,
Now i explain to you,if you want to go for the highest level performance Pi start with 3B V1.2. Forget about RPI4,to much noise and locked boot sequency.Ok if you do DSD and formats who required cpu power,but for anything up to 24/192khz 3B RPI if you are a purist.Ian Canadas best boards and pure ultracapacitor supplys will do the magic,And if you are going a step above,separate power RPI 3,3v and !,8v.Oxco clock,no wifi,bluetooth,takeaway hardware software,usb outlets grounded.And aboslut no display that generates interference.Better to have control from Android tablet.
Hi Batenet,

since I can't msg you directly (still apparently considered as a new account), I will post in here.

Could you please elaborate more on using a Pi 3B V1.2 vs Pi 4 for a high-end streamer? Does it apply even when I'm not using Wifi and USB ports?
I've already almost maxed my build, next I'm just planning to build a carbon fiber cage for EMI shielding and that's it. Therefore I'm looking for any room for more improvements :)

Thanks a lot!
Vlad

IMG_20230421_235705.jpg

The RCA is not that good as the XLR, it was because RCA has only contains half for the balanced signals. Please never use an adapter to convert the OPA861 XLR output into RCA, that will short half or the left and right output through GND.
Thanks Ian.
I was thinking to use the RCA connectors for a headphone, not frequently though.
My plan is now to use high quality relays between de dual mono DAC and two OPA861's. They will switch the output signal from the DAC to one OPA861 and UCPURE. When I'm listening to the headphone, I will switch to the other OPA861. A bit like Gabster shows in his video about the OPA861. He uses a SONOFF switch for A/B listening. I will use gold plated relays:
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/relays/nec-ea2-5nj-5v-dual-contact-relay-for-pcb-p-11184.html
Maybe put two in parellel per signal.

Wiring between the DAC and OPA's will be OCC copper and shielded. I build my own headphone and IEM cables with this cable:
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/unba...headphone-occ-silver-ptfe-o186mm-p-10546.html
Combined with rhodium plated Furutech connectors, it sounds amazing.

One part is still missing for my project. The UCPURE MKIII. Any idea when this will become available?

Hi,
Can I receive a Right Justified data format signals from FifoPi Q7 with DATA signal splited to DATA Right and Data Left? I'm considering a direct connection to old 16/20/24 bit R2R DACs eg PCM1704, AD1865 in the NOS mode.
Hi bern

FifoPiQ7 has a passthrough function, you can use Q7 with it as long as your DAC can take the Right justified signal.

Or, if you DAC takes I2S only, you can use the FIFO II solution.
For PCM1704, AD1860, you can also consider using the PCM board to maximal the performance.

You can download user's manual here for more details
https://github.com/iancanada/DocumentDownload

Thanks Ian.
I was thinking to use the RCA connectors for a headphone, not frequently though.
My plan is now to use high quality relays between de dual mono DAC and two OPA861's. They will switch the output signal from the DAC to one OPA861 and UCPURE. When I'm listening to the headphone, I will switch to the other OPA861. A bit like Gabster shows in his video about the OPA861. He uses a SONOFF switch for A/B listening. I will use gold plated relays:
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/relays/nec-ea2-5nj-5v-dual-contact-relay-for-pcb-p-11184.html
Maybe put two in parellel per signal.

Wiring between the DAC and OPA's will be OCC copper and shielded. I build my own headphone and IEM cables with this cable:
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/unba...headphone-occ-silver-ptfe-o186mm-p-10546.html
Combined with rhodium plated Furutech connectors, it sounds amazing.

One part is still missing for my project. The UCPURE MKIII. Any idea when this will become available?

@Panamarenko

Got you idea. Yes you can connect the XLR to your headphone as long as the two channel don't share ground.
UcPure MkIII will be available very soon.

Hi Batenet,

since I can't msg you directly (still apparently considered as a new account), I will post in here.

Could you please elaborate more on using a Pi 3B V1.2 vs Pi 4 for a high-end streamer? Does it apply even when I'm not using Wifi and USB ports?
I've already almost maxed my build, next I'm just planning to build a carbon fiber cage for EMI shielding and that's it. Therefore I'm looking for any room for more improvements :)

Thanks a lot!
Vlad

View attachment 1170886
Hello Vlad,

For me Raspberry Pi 4 it`s just to noisy, have compared both and for me 3B have better sound with only ethernet cable connected and Ian Canada stuff.If you are going to keep Pi 4,put at least a shielding plate to the next board.Still you have more interference and noise injected on your Raspberry board.And one more advantage models up to version 3B 1.2, you can split 1,8 and 3,3v for even better performance with better power supplies.With Raspberry 4 you are going to mess up the boot sequence and not going to work.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hi Ian,
Can RCA outputs be used to connect a subwoofer? I'm planning to connect XLRs to monitors and at the same time RCA to subwoofer. Is it safe? thx

Last edited:
Hello Vlad,

For me Raspberry Pi 4 it`s just to noisy, have compared both and for me 3B have better sound with only ethernet cable connected and Ian Canada stuff.If you are going to keep Pi 4,put at least a shielding plate to the next board.Still you have more interference and noise injected on your Raspberry board.And one more advantage models up to version 3B 1.2, you can split 1,8 and 3,3v for even better performance with better power supplies.With Raspberry 4 you are going to mess up the boot sequence and not going to work.
How do i optimze a rpi 3 for less noise?

SC-PURE clocks

True SC-CUT audio clocks

45.1584MHz/49.1520MHz for up to 384KHz
22.5792MHz/24.5760MHz for up to 192KHz

-3.3V power supply.

-50 ohm output impendence.

-Dual shield cans to keep the noise as low as possible.

-With OE pin to mute the un-selected XO to reduce any possible cross talk between two frequencies. But the SC-CUT crystal will be still keep running continuously for a non-stop break-in.

-In a standard XO package. Will be just simply plug and play for FifoPi Q7/Q3/Q2/MA and TransportPi Digi and many other applications.

-Over all cost will be saved.

SC-PURE0
by Ian, on Flickr

SC-PURE_FifoPiQ7
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian

Reactions: 11 users
How do i optimze a rpi 3 for less noise?
Rpi 4 have higher clock speed,frequence and more noise coming from cpu. You can put a copperplate for shielding on cpu,and one more tweak i recommend is blu tack or 3m damping tape for reducing vibrations.Clockspeed on rpi 3 is more than enough for music files up to 24 bit 192 khz no need to introduce unnecessary noise with rpi 4,but for higher resolution like Dsd a completely other story.

Reactions: 1 user
SC-PURE clocks

True SC-CUT audio clocks

45.1584MHz/49.1520MHz for up to 384KHz
22.5792MHz/24.5760MHz for up to 192KHz

-3.3V power supply.

-50 ohm output impendence.

-Dual shield cans to keep the noise as low as possible.

-With OE pin to mute the un-selected XO to reduce any possible cross talk between two frequencies. But the SC-CUT crystal will be still keep running continuously for a non-stop break-in.

-In a standard XO package. Will be just simply plug and play for FifoPi Q7/Q3/Q2/MA and TransportPi Digi and many other applications.

-Over all cost will be saved.

SC-PURE0 by Ian, on Flickr

SC-PURE_FifoPiQ7 by Ian, on Flickr

Ian
My only question now,when will they be available and price.Please put me on the list ツ

Reactions: 1 user