Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

12V configuration for UcPure MkII/MkIII

UcPure with 3000F ultra capacitors could be the best low noise power supply in the real world. I know a lot of people want a 12V configuration to upgrade their DDDAC, So the solution is here:

1. Replace S2 with a 390K 0603 resistor, can be RT0603DRE07390KL
2. Keep S4 OPEN
3. Replace S6 with 232K 0603 resistor, can be RR0816P-2323-D-36D

Under this configuration, the UcPure will be:
12.6V: fully charged
10.3V: Trigger the protection mode to re-charge the UCs
12.33V: Back to pure mode when reach this voltage

Please make sure all the voltages are correct before connecting to your DAC if you want to change to this configuration.
@iancanada Can I use this solution on the first version of UcPure? I still have some spare and want to utilize them.

How RFX OCXOs work with FifoPi

1. Install a small SquarePi board to the FifoPi to connect to OCXOs
2. Connect two SMA coaxial cables from two OCXO boards to SquarePi. The cable order doesn't matter.
3. The two optional Mute signal cables can also be connected to mute the un-selected OCXO so that the possible crosstalk between two frequencies can be eliminated. It's good to have but not a must.
4. The OCXO board can also be mounted on top of the FifoPi as part of the stack.

FifoPi_OCXO1
by Ian, on Flickr

FifoPi_OCXO2
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian

Reactions: 2 users
The IAN CANADA LINEARPI SOLO delivers 2,5 A. I see this being used to power a Raspberri PI in several projects. But 2,5 A is the minimum for a RPI4.
I have a USB 4 TB SSD attached to my RPI4. It consumes 3,2 W in read/write. My current power supply, sigma 11, is able to deliver +5 A.
Has anyone experience whether the LinearPI can power a combination of a RPI4 and such an SSD?

How RFX OCXOs work with FifoPi

1. Install a small SquarePi board to the FifoPi to connect to OCXOs
2. Connect two SMA coaxial cables from two OCXO boards to SquarePi. The cable order doesn't matter.
3. The two optional Mute signal cables can also be connected to mute the un-selected OCXO so that the possible crosstalk between two frequencies can be eliminated. It's good to have but not a must.
4. The OCXO board can also be mounted on top of the FifoPi as part of the stack.

FifoPi_OCXO1 by Ian, on Flickr

FifoPi_OCXO2 by Ian, on Flickr

Ian
Wow Ian that’s looking very promising. Did you make any comparisons in SQ e.g. compared to the Accusilicons or other solutions offered on the internet like the Neutrons and so on. We are very curious to know 😉

Looks like the Sinepi could have been incorporated on the clock boards.. (?)
A small square pi board you write Ian. On the picture it looks like your SinePi, correct ? Or have you made a new version of SinePi ?
Hi Guys,

SquarePi takes external square wave (tolerance with 5V/3,3V logic level) to adapt with FifoPi. It's is in the same dimensions as a SinePi.

Ian

Wow Ian that’s looking very promising. Did you make any comparisons in SQ e.g. compared to the Accusilicons or other solutions offered on the internet like the Neutrons and so on. We are very curious to know 😉
Thanks JanHD,

I'm working on my SC-PURE clocks now, which can be installed directly into the FifoPi sockets without any adapter board and external power supplies. I'll do a comparison test once I'm done.

As the FifoPi developer, I have almost all kinds of the clocks to validate my design at the R&D stages. Each clock has its own sound signature. But the differences are also there.
CCHD957
Accusilicon
Pulsar
RFX OCXO
SC-PURE
Neutron star
Drixo

Ian

Reactions: 1 user
The IAN CANADA LINEARPI SOLO delivers 2,5 A. I see this being used to power a Raspberri PI in several projects. But 2,5 A is the minimum for a RPI4.
I have a USB 4 TB SSD attached to my RPI4. It consumes 3,2 W in read/write. My current power supply, sigma 11, is able to deliver +5 A.
Has anyone experience whether the LinearPI can power a combination of a RPI4 and such an SSD?
@Panamarenko
Please no worries, LinearPi MkII has enough current to power a RPI4 with a SSD. If you want a great dynamic performance, you also can install a UcContitioner to work with a LinearPi.
2.5A+SSD current are just peak current, the average current would be much less based my measurement to my own RPi4.

Ian

Reactions: 1 user
I have a es9038 dac and a FIFOQ7 in true sync mode. I have after reading the dac chip manual tried to power only the AVCC and DVCC, but not the VCCA with 3.3 vdc. It’s playing like a dream, so if you remove the clock om es9038 dac, you can save a 3.3 power supply.

Kind regards
Lars

Thanks JanHD,

I'm working on my SC-PURE clocks now, which can be installed directly into the FifoPi sockets without any adapter board and external power supplies. I'll do a comparison test once I'm done.

As the FifoPi developer, I have almost all kinds of the clocks to validate my design at the R&D stages. Each clock has its own sound signature. But the differences are also there.
CCHD957
Accusilicon
Pulsar
RFX OCXO
SC-PURE
Neutron star
Drixo

Ian
Really look forward to you review Ian, great work as always

I have a es9038 dac and a FIFOQ7 in true sync mode. I have after reading the dac chip manual tried to power only the AVCC and DVCC, but not the VCCA with 3.3 vdc. It’s playing like a dream, so if you remove the clock om es9038 dac, you can save a 3.3 power supply.

Kind regards
Lars
Interesting. But what does “like a dream” mean? How would you describe the change? 😁

Seems like the new version is BCAP0325 P270 S19:
View attachment 1168725
Very interesting change. I’ve struggled with soldering all 10 caps, maybe longer pins will help? Does anyone have any tips on soldering the Maxwell caps to Ian’s board? I always have to revisit the soldering as it’s not making contact to the board properly.

Side note: I didn’t receive that notification but was lucky enough not to install them and obtain a refund from Mouser. And them got the caps from Audiophonics a bit more expensive.

Hello @iancanada , all!

Please give some more clearer recommendations about how to connect the earth.

This is what i found on the StationPiPro manual:
"Earth is internally connected to the clean side shield plates. You can connect the earth (TP1 or TP2) to the FifoPi clean side ground. Or you can connect the earth to the audio system ground according to the real experiences."

I just connected both TP1 and TP2 of StationPiPro to the earth wire from the wall-outlet. Is this correct?
Should I connect TP1 or TP2 to the clean side GND of FifoQ7? But there is already a wire from the UcPure which I use for clean 3.3V to FifoQ7 and HDMIPro.

Thank you!
Hey, did you figure out if this is correct? Or how to connect the whole stack to wall earth like all electronics are?

My problem is I have no case to connect to, it’s wood and plexiglass for now. I’ve added the Dac with the OPA861 I/V and was wondering how can I ground all this to earth. Last time I used a device that wasn’t grounded properly, I felt some electricity when touching the cases. Measured it and it was almost 100v :)