Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

5v 3,3v PurePi 1, isolatorPI II and FifoPi Ma.

according to the manual, the isolator must be in master mode, the FifoPi Ma jumpers (on) J4 1-2 and 3-4 to share Paspberry Pi power, in this way the isolator II does not need to have power on J1 5/6 volts.

is it possible to supply the isolator II with 5 volts J1 (or 3.3v) by not connecting the jumpers J4 1-2 and 3-4 of the FifoPi Ma?

ps, I also use the 3.3v clean side FifoPi Ma.
@iancanada any idea if this is possible?

Hello I would like to operate my Denafrips Pontus 2 via the I2S interface with a streamer IAN Canada? Which parts are needed ? A clock is not needed?

#48B. PurePi II 5V+3.3V ultracapacitor/LifePO4​

#17B. HdmiPi Pro II Flagship HDMI transport interface​

????
With the Pontus it would be better to build a Dac with dual mono and the new Lundal IV board money wise it is not much more I have tried this combo with a few friends that own a Pontus the sound is far better they all sold the Pontus after, so you actually save $ so PurePi Fifo Q7 Dualmono dac IV transformer. Feed the dac from the 3.3v on the PurePi.
Just my 2cents.

Reactions: 1 user
Been reading through this thread and it seems the experts don't mind helping us newbs, which is awesome and appreciated.

I recently built a streamer using:
Purepi
Rpi
Fifopi
Transportpi

Basically following gabster exactly except I didn't do a monitor pi thinking the screen I added would make it redundant but I realize now that's not true.

I really like the sound and really enjoyed the project so now I'm thinking a DAC.

I guess the main thing I'm wondering is should I be disassembling the streamer and turning it into a DAC+streamer all in one stack, basically to avoid the cabling between the two (and share power?) or is there not much benefit in that. In your opinion of course.

For the DAC I'm thinking:
Life04
Station pi
Reciever pi
Dual mono DAC hat
Opa 861

I also intend to buy a protodac and try that as I like the idea or r2r

Does this look good? Any improvements you would make?

I was thinking I would also add monitor pi and shield pi pro and Ian's fancy clocks to the streamer side.

Or I could reconfigure the whole thing into one. This would use both the purepi and life04...I guess I get confused on powering everything the most.

Any thoughts or suggestions on best way to configure the whole thing? And if not...does my DAC setup make sense at least?

@pkonstantinidis In my opinion ProtoDAC is not on the same level as Ian's Dualmono DAC + OPA861. I have a ProtoDac with Vishay TX2575 Metal Foil resistors for I/V, Jantzen Audio Superior Z-Cap as decupling output caps. In direct comparison to dualmono, it sounds worse. I would say "mudded". Still, a big surprise how it sounds, being so simple and cheap. Well, maybe not cheap anymore in my case because of Visahy and Jantzen, but I wanted to check if ProtoDac upgraded with better parts could replace Ian's Dac. And the answer for me is NO.

I am also curious what @Gabster 2000 thinks :)

Reactions: 3 users
I would like to share my new experience. Untill now I used one UcPure to power both FiFoPi Q7 and DualMono Dac. Yesterday I have provided a separate power supply to DualMono DAC so UcPure only powers FiFoPi Q7 with SC-Pure clocks. This is an improvement. The sound is just more "cultural", like it became less harsh, more delicate.

The new power supply for DualMono is an experiment with LiFePo4 6,6v and two 3,3V discrete voltage regulators for AVCC and DVCC. The VCCA (J4/XO connector) is left without power supply. These regulators seem to work very well. They take very little place and let me isolate the noise between AVCC and DVCC.

Attachments

• IMG_2873 (1).jpeg
    IMG_2873 (1).jpeg
    233.9 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_2872 (1).jpeg
    IMG_2872 (1).jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 127
@Gabster 2000 Would you consider the ProtoDAC instead of the "Dualmono DAC + OPA861" combo as another alternative on top of the FifoPi Q7?
The Dual mono on a PurePi Fifo Q7 is more refined but the Protodac sounds good can not beat that sound at the low price and simplicity maybe others that built both can voice their experience.

@pkonstantinidis In my opinion ProtoDAC is not on the same level as Ian's Dualmono DAC + OPA861. I have a ProtoDac with Vishay TX2575 Metal Foil resistors for I/V, Jantzen Audio Superior Z-Cap as decupling output caps. In direct comparison to dualmono, it sounds worse. I would say "mudded". Still, a big surprise how it sounds, being so simple and cheap. Well, maybe not cheap anymore in my case because of Visahy and Jantzen, but I wanted to check if ProtoDac upgraded with better parts could replace Ian's Dac. And the answer for me is NO.

I am also curious what @Gabster 2000 thinks :)
I completely agree I share your opinion. The Dual mono on a PurePi Fifo Q7 is more refined but the Protodac sounds good can not beat that sound at the low price and simplicity maybe others that built both can voice their experience.

As a ProtoDAC user, I am very happy with the sound I can ear. For sure, Dual DAC from Ian is a next step. Right now, the setup is :

PurePi 5V UC to RPI (PurePi still powered with Apple charger)
PurePi LifePO4 with UCconditionner 3.3V to Q7 clean side (2 UC Pure have to be plugged)
Transformer to UcPure 5V to power ProtoDAC

Next steps : Toroidy Transfo (x2) : 1 for UcPure to ProtoDAC and 1 for UCPure (x2) to PurePi

Attachments

• IMG_9762.jpeg
    IMG_9762.jpeg
    294.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_9761.jpeg
    IMG_9761.jpeg
    397.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_9760.jpeg
    IMG_9760.jpeg
    393.8 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Hello !

I am trying to understand the way to use an Amanero combo board for 2 different purposes (for a friend):
  • imput a keyboard (music player) to DDC
  • play some DSD files from external SSD usb plugged in RPI.

I think the first doesn't provide some huge difficulty (keyboard plugged with usb to Amanero stacked above ReceiverPi DDC and selected with MonitorPi Pro) .
The second one is not easy for me. my firs thought is : SSD->RPI->Amanero->ReceiverPi DDC . But I am not sure that files can be read by RPI (Volumio) when they are stocked on external drive. Am I wrong ? In this case, does a NAS is needed ?

Is it possible to stack 2 Amanero boards above (or under) ReceiverPi DDC ?

Thanks

I wanted to be able to see the MonitorPi Pro and therefore I replaced the front face of my streamer case with a semi-transparent one. I then used the GPIO extension to move the MonitorPi Pro on the front face.

Now I can also see the various lights of the streamer internals like a Christmas tree -))). My previous, black front face was completely opaque.

Attachments

• IMG_0103.jpeg
    IMG_0103.jpeg
    221.8 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Hello all,

I want to build an new Projekt with Ian'S MC FIFO Multichannel and MCDUAL XO.
At the moment i am reading the whole day this threat ;) and i am at Side 232 .....never Ending Threat ;)
I am from Germany so not esey to speak, Type english so keep that in Mind.

I Attached my first Plan here.
For now I ordered all Boards and the good CCHD957 XO's, The HDMI (1.4) to I2S Board is already running great so far with RPI5.

I have some Constand Current Powersuply from Twisted Pair Audio in spare i could use for the Dual Fifo and Dual XO Board.
For the Rest 5V i use an 5V 7.5A Max Powersuply from Audiophonics for the Pi's and so on. And they get an seperate Enclousure.

My Target is to Use CamillaDSP on an full aktiv sourround 7.2 System with an USB Multidac like MOTU Ao24 or A16 or anything that gives me 16 XLR Channels.
For now i use an Motu UL mk5 with 2x 3way for the Mainspeaker on Hypex NC122 and NC250 Amps.
I am on the build (Enclousures) for more NC122 Amps for the Surroundspeaker at the Moment.

While i tested The Hdmi Board with RPI5 i got in the problems because RPI5 didn't switched automaticly to any incomming Samplingfrequences. The RPI I2S is set as Slave.

That while i put that ASRC in but i cant find something for Multichannel so i need to use 4 Stereo (CS8421) ones and get them Syncrone with Ians FIFO XO Boards. I am not an Developer or Programmer so i need all to keep simple.

Best way would be to transfere the Information what Samplingfrequenz will feed in to the RPI and seting it with an script on CamillaDSP so no ASRC would be needed. But for now i cant do it so i stay with ASRC's

As Input I use an SPDIF / ASEbu board, HDMI to I2s and an RPI4 with I2S Out as an Player. On RPI5 i have Camilla and squeezzzeserver running on UBUNTU 23.1 for now.

For switching i use an cheep DLatch I2S Switching board.

Ma be an Expert could look to my Drawings i made and give me some Advice if i am on the right way to get it running?

BTW i read on Side 236 the FIFO Board could use as an Worldclock. that's would be realy great to feed it to Motu Device i guess, but not sure if this make sense becuase it runs from USB on RPI5 i guess there also an Fifo on that Device.

Robert

Attachments

• DIGI IN RPI5.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 49
  • CS8421 Board Reverse Ingeneering.pdf
    122.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I wanted to be able to see the MonitorPi Pro and therefore I replaced the front face of my streamer case with a semi-transparent one. I then used the GPIO extension to move the MonitorPi Pro on the front face.

Now I can also see the various lights of the streamer internals like a Christmas tree -))). My previous, black front face was completely opaque.
Looks great. I'm a big lab12 fan and almost bought the dac1 and didn't. I have a very nice DAC but I'm still finding I'm not getting the warmth I love...how would you rate the dac1?

I'm considering building a ank kit to get some tube and nos...or just buy the dac1

@Superchunk I happen to be friends with Stratos Vichos, the owner and chief designer of LAB12. I own quite a lot of his gear (DAC1 SE, Suono power amp, Gordian filter). And I have also heard some other Lab12, which Stratos has loaned me. All is great and a terrific value for money.
My DAC1 is the previous model. It sounds very, very… analogue. The newer model, the DAC1 Reference, sounds even better (I’ve had it in my system for more than a week). I would doubt that a DIY tube DAC could beat the DAC1 Reference.
The combination of Ian’s streamer with the Lab12 DAC1 is sublime.

Stratos is a wonderful designer and I've been singing his praises all over the internet for years. I have the suono which I've added 10x the capacitance to, and the pre1 which I've recently replaced with an allnic, but I won't get rid of the pre1. It's with me for life just like the suono.

I'll probably just buy the dac1 reference...I think I need my digital front end to sound a little more analogue.

Finished version 1.2 of the UcPure holder. Small changes with a bigger base, larger flanges and holes for the wire to the balanced board were made. Not all was really necessary, so and updated and slightly narrowed V1.3 is in the making.

I am using some small M3 vibrating dampers under the PCB. M3 Dampers
They are actually really great and much softer than expected providing some movement and hopefully absorbs some vibration. Does it matter to improve SQ? Don’t know🙂
Still a great fit with 4 pieces for the UcPure.
I’ll expect to use them under my StationPi as well.

View attachment 1283084
View attachment 1283085
Hi @miklau, how is v 1.3 coming along?
would you be open to making a pair for two UcPure 5v that I'm putting together?
As I'm new to this forum, I can't message you privately, so please pop me a message on this, if you're ok with it of course :)
Thanks
Stefano

Finished version 1.2 of the UcPure holder. Small changes with a bigger base, larger flanges and holes for the wire to the balanced board were made. Not all was really necessary, so and updated and slightly narrowed V1.3 is in the making.

I am using some small M3 vibrating dampers under the PCB. M3 Dampers
They are actually really great and much softer than expected providing some movement and hopefully absorbs some vibration. Does it matter to improve SQ? Don’t know🙂
Still a great fit with 4 pieces for the UcPure.
I’ll expect to use them under my StationPi as well.

View attachment 1283084
View attachment 1283085
That's really interesting and looks like a professional product. Well done!

I am wondering how much better the UCpure with the 3000F caps sounds in comparison to UCconditioners powered by LinearPi. Does anyone have experience with both?

Thanks in advance.

Plan Chaneged a bit (Powersupply for MCFifo and McualXO)

If Ian could give me some advice what kind of his Board will help me to get better Signals on the both Pi's.

Because i use an USB Multidac Interface i am not sure what Benefit the Station PI or Shield PI Pro and GPIO Terminator Kid woud give me?

Which one would usefull un Both PI's

Robert

Attachments

• DIGI IN RPI5.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
Last edited: