Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
So we ended up with a combination of boards that will give us loads of detail but it turns out to be kind of uninvolving/ tiresome to listen to. Is it the accumulation of to much digital that causes this?
Is this the reason Gabster is moving towards that old style Philips chip?
Maybe construction of a dac with a nice sound isn't that easy as the other parts used in all these stacks. The developer has to share your ideas about how a decent system should sound.
I have a co worker whose daughter prefers the meatloaf from the supermarket to the ones made by a tiny local bakery. So i usually take reviews with a grain of salt unless i have some idea of the other gear the reviewers like.
Greetings, Eduard

@Ras Dan On its own the ProtoDAC was lacking, in your opinion?
No its was much much better than I thought it would be, Its just that my TVC being passive meant that the volume control rather than being at the 9 O'clock position will be at the 12 O'clock position . This is Related to my TVC and not the Protodac, ALL my sources have this issue. Its Just that I have volume knob psychosis , I do not like to turn the volume past the 10 O'clock position.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello,
So we ended up with a combination of boards that will give us loads of detail but it turns out to be kind of uninvolving/ tiresome to listen to. Is it the accumulation of to much digital that causes this?
Is this the reason Gabster is moving towards that old style Philips chip?
Maybe construction of a dac with a nice sound isn't that easy as the other parts used in all these stacks. The developer has to share your ideas about how a decent system should sound.
I have a co worker whose daughter prefers the meatloaf from the supermarket to the ones made by a tiny local bakery. So i usually take reviews with a grain of salt unless i have some idea of the other gear the reviewers like.
Greetings, Eduard
Thats becaue we find ourselves perpetually chasing an elusive ideal, an illusion impossible to grasp—a shifting target in the ever-evolving landscape of our perceptions. In our quest for a stable reference amidst constant change, we employ tools, measurements, and analysis to uncover truth. Yet, these measurements, if not comprehensively grasped, can veer us off course, misaligned with our subjective perceptions and aspirations. Attempting to quantify the intricate nuances of human desires and perceptions within the confines of mechanical systems leads us astray from the truth we seek.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello Greece,
I expect the soon to be released Dddac mk3 to be a serious contender looking for the holy grail.
Doede uses gear similar to mine and managed to get a very diverse group of users with several users proposing small modifications to others and some of these changes ended up in a new board. But Doede will not give you an updated board every semester. Audio gear should be about listening to music with lots of pleasure not a way to make people spend to much money.
Of course if you have enough you can decide not only buy a decent car but also an over the top stereo with 30 records and buy two extra every year. The kind of people that will buy the latest full frame Leica camera without a little study about how to make decent photos.
Greetings Eduard

Reactions: 1 user
@eduard I happily use the first gen FIFOPi (pre Q1,3,7), a DAC I built in 2013 and drive a car I bought in 2016. I like them and they are enough. I don't blame the car company for releasing cars I don't need or iancanada for producing cool new products. It's easy to resist an impulse to buy new stuff. I celebrate the new builds here to see the art of the possible. I also check out the new Ferraris and McLarens which I also choose to not own. Cool but poor ROI. Easy.

Reactions: 6 users
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I am happy i don't have a driving license so not to hard not buying one.
My speaker system is about 30 years old but it was rather expensive to make.
I have some more old stuff. Lots of spare tubes.But once my " digital journey" will stop i will decide to do a 3 month travel experience every year.
Greetings Eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I hope so too but first we have to get all things in working order.
As we can read here not everything works straight away and it is usually one user trying to fix other people issues.
Ian will only pop up here to announce a new board and i have the idea it is working. I mean he keeps selling them.
When i am back home from my 3 month trip i will check what is published in France about the Canadian boards. Maybe they have some different solutions/ points of view.
Greetings Eduard

Hello,
As we can read here not everything works straight away and it is usually one user trying to fix other people issues.
Ian will only pop up here to announce a new board and i have the idea it is working. I mean he keeps selling them.
When i am back home from my 3 month trip i will check what is published in France about the Canadian boards. Maybe they have some different solutions/ points of view.
Greetings Eduard
Actually, the posts I've read here are from people who did not read the instructions carefully or deviated from the instructions either willingly or by mistake. The other forum members have been able to help them troubleshoot their mistakes and the boards/projects then worked as advertised - which is part of the DIY-learning process.

You are the only person here who clearly has ulterior motives, and every one of your posts is an undeserved attack on IanCanada and his products.

Enough already.

Reactions: 10 users
Hello,
Greetings Eduard
…..I never have issues, I wonder why that is. Well I know why and shared many times. Sometimes people dont get the basics right and jump right into more complex builds.

Advice to everyone is to get the basics working before you try the more advance and complex solutions, I appreciate it is tempting to go right to the more complex builds but it’s a hobby so enjoy the ride 😊

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Sometimes the manuals are a bit hard to grasp for people whose mother tongue isn't English.
AND there is not a " kind of general manual " that will give you guidance if you wanna construct a streamer kit for instance.
I did not read about a delay needed to make a certain board work in the manuals provided.
Ian's products are improving with every upgrade so my remarks won't hurt . I just try to make people aware that just connecting boards in a kind of random way, with big supercaps like it is a kind of miniature railway landscape is not safe.
Greetings,Eduard

Ian now provides complete projects with all modules supplied and 1 click to order which is huge credit to him trying to make his Lego DIY audio more availed to those that might not understand

Ian offers these now all built and tested too so for those that don’t understand I suggest they order those

you should not build any of this if you can’t read English or understand basic skills like soldering.

Its simple logic as I see it.

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2021
Paid Member
I've observed a recurring pattern in our discussions with @eduard where the focus tends to shift towards vintage audio and audiophile history, deviating from the primary thread topics, such as the "Asynchronous I2S FIFO project." You can find the thread here: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...eapon-to-fight-the-jitter.192465/post-7609867.

While I respect your passion for audio and your wealth of knowledge, it's crucial for the benefit of the community to keep our conversations directly related to the designated thread topics. The ongoing divergence into unrelated discussions, along with a somewhat assertive tone, is creating a less welcoming environment and, frankly, it's becoming repetitive.

I want to emphasize the importance of staying on track. Numerous threads and papers are dedicated to vintage tube gears, Jean Hiraga, and the historical Japanese knowledge that he brought to Westerners 50 years ago. I kindly suggest exploring those topics in dedicated spaces, allowing us here to focus on discussing the Ian Canada board Asynchronous I2S FIFO project.

If you have experiences or insights related to the project, especially if you have successfully built and listened to it, please share with the community. Many are curious to learn from your vast expertise.

Let's redirect our focus and maintain a positive and constructive atmosphere within the community. Your attacks on ultra capacitors are always the same; no one is forcing you to do it like that expensive Leica you cannot use or the sports car you can't appreciate.

I suggest you play gatekeeper and protect others when you have a working project and ONLY THEN.

Best regards, Jon

Reactions: 4 users
Joined 2021
Paid Member
I wonder who reported your response @shoom...How lame is that ? I wanted to like it and apparently plenty of others. So as per everyone's demand !:violin:
Image 2024-02-26 at 2.37 PM.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I never read messages larded with stickers.
Greetings Eduard
P.s here in Asia people just use such a big diversity of stickers that i don't understand so i tell them to use English words.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-02-27-02-51-00-83_cd9f342f505fc08af23d5639700d5c03.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-27-02-51-00-83_cd9f342f505fc08af23d5639700d5c03.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Joined 2021
Paid Member
@eduard
"L'ami chez qui on devait aller ce soir redonne un dîner, vous êtes bien sûr invité ! On vous a raté aujourd'hui, on ne va pas vous rater la semaine prochaine, Champion du monde va..."
An appropriate line from a great French movie. Hopefully he might understand the French underlying message.

Last edited: