Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
....yes I plan to experiment with moving the Pi.

I decided to build the easy system first to get some music and then make the changes to see what differences there are in sound (if at all).

I do feel at times we go too far and the effort needed is not worth it for the perceived sound improvements, its all about the music right?
Hello,
Of course if i am showing some of the builds here to technical skilled co workers they would say why don't these people focus on " proper construction techniques " . If their house burns down insurance surely would not pay.
If you separate the Raspberry you will need just two extra parts , the so called interfaces, one called transport and the other one is called a receiver right.
In post 11639 we see an isolator in the attachment but that is the part needed when you cramp everything close together?
I remember moving the power transformer from one of my turntables from under the platter to the corner and it gave a nice upgrade for two hours of labour. So if things are critical we should do everything that could give an improvement. Of course careful positioning of parts, routing of cables, keeping power supply cables short will take no money.
Using coke can seize caps and then putting them at a big distance, connected with bike lighting material won't bring you audio nirvana. Don't fool yourself.
Greetings,Eduard

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks Edward and I do know what i am doing ;) My system sounds amazing and my point was I feel people do go too far for no real audio nirvana gains, they might think they hear the gains.....may be it is just me. BUT as long as people enjoy and they hear a benifit all good right.

I am doing "proper construction" for DIY HiFi as I am not building a train which needs of course the constructon you state alot. You keep on about the house buring down........critical and important topic but as long as you build right and put in a case then why wont all be fine? I have had a conversation with Ian on this exact topic, Ian does not have his in a case yet.

My DDDAC Signature build with the Italian clocks and Ians modules too is full of wires not routed the best and many other "bad Audiophile Building" the purists would find MANY faults in the build I am sure but when my friend and I listened to his top of the range Cord DAC costing ~£10K he totally agreed by streamer/DAC delivered a far better sound, it was night and day in the sound difference and was easily heard. The reason is the Chord might be 10K new but it is built to a price point so Chord and the dealer make money.

Be great to see pictures of your working system, so we can learn more from you??

BTW - like you I am talking to Doede and waiting for the MK3 DDDAC which I am sure will be outstanding and I will build this for sure.

Reactions: 3 users
....yes I plan to experiment with moving the Pi.

I decided to build the easy system first to get some music and then make the changes to see what differences there are in sound (if at all).

I do feel at times we go too far and the effort needed is not worth it for the perceived sound improvements, its all about the music right?
Great points well made Simon.

i always start with the simplest build possible and the experiment over time. The modular style of these boards gives a great opportunity to learn as we go and the learning is an important part of the build for me. With these builds I've had fun and learned a few things as well as finding some unexplained surprises which I'll ask for opinions when i get down to my build impressions.

''I do feel at times we go too far and the effort needed is not worth it for the perceived sound improvements, its all about the music right?''

I'm constantly wondering if I've hit the improvement buffers in terms of my own systems resolving power. Not hearing much difference when trying something does not always mean that the difference is not there. Sometimes it's down to the resolving power of the whole system.

It's easy to miss the importance of short posts.

I use KISS always when starting projects.

Keep It Simple Stupid:)

To make sure i have something working to learn from.

Oh those big OB looking speakers you have?

Hello,
Of course if i am showing some of the builds here to technical skilled co workers they would say why don't these people focus on " proper construction techniques " . If their house burns down insurance surely would not pay.
If you separate the Raspberry you will need just two extra parts , the so called interfaces, one called transport and the other one is called a receiver right.
In post 11639 we see an isolator in the attachment but that is the part needed when you cramp everything close together?
I remember moving the power transformer from one of my turntables from under the platter to the corner and it gave a nice upgrade for two hours of labour. So if things are critical we should do everything that could give an improvement. Of course careful positioning of parts, routing of cables, keeping power supply cables short will take no money.
Using coke can seize caps and then putting them at a big distance, connected with bike lighting material won't bring you audio nirvana. Don't fool yourself.
Greetings,Eduard
The point is that we are not factory owners with huge production resources. This is DIY and most are set up as best they can. have you tried the coke cans?

If not the you can benefit everyone (including yourself)by doing so. Personally i try not to make comment on the goodness or otherwise before I've listened for myself.

All of the house burning, clock complaints, new kid on the block type remarks help no one. The notion that no one here has a technical background may not hold up as much as you think either.

The constant jumping on posts when people come hear for help and support with spurious criticisms around board quality are totally over blown . Yup its true that in production things can go wrong but to make that the norm is plainly untrue . I've built with and helped friends build with Ian's boards with zero problems.

You plainly know that when people run into issues that they come here for advice and help. With successful builds not so much. the wet blanket approach is pretty unhelpful.

You've made much of the clock socket arrangements when from memory it's pretty standard practice in DIY and a great way to learn. I've built many projects that way and learned plenty. having fun is also where it's at for me and that's been the case with these builds.

I suspect that most are not looking for perfection but do want great music. Simon rightly points out ''It's all about the music''

You may want to stop carping and start helping.

That way every one benefits.

Reactions: 8 users
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I might be obsessed by fire because my grandfather was killed in a fire, he was a bit " cripple " after an accident at work with a hot liquid and he tripped in his shed with a handheld candle in a spot with loads of flammable paint around.
Had a fire because of a short in an electrical panel because a previous owner tried to fix things himself.
In France a capital villa burned down because an audio gear manufacturer used the wrong kind of switch. Happened decades ago and nowadays insurance companies will do a lot to escape paying but it is up to you. Let it burn and see.
As always there will be compromises in one way or another if you are building something yourself. Sometimes have to guess which way to go.
I will give my point of view, if you don't like don't read it.
If there is so much " fuss " about little things that are considered important why not add a few more things and let people decide themselves if they are willing to try
Streetside in Laos in the attachment.
Greetings Eduard

Attachments

• IMG20240210173741.jpg
    IMG20240210173741.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 86
Hello,
Greetings,Eduard
Her is the post from Ian

Attachments

• IMG_6349.jpeg
    IMG_6349.jpeg
    270.7 KB · Views: 71
Hello,
I might be obsessed by fire because my grandfather was killed in a fire, he was a bit " cripple " after an accident at work with a hot liquid and he tripped in his shed with a handheld candle in a spot with loads of flammable paint around.
Had a fire because of a short in an electrical panel because a previous owner tried to fix things himself.
In France a capital villa burned down because an audio gear manufacturer used the wrong kind of switch. Happened decades ago and nowadays insurance companies will do a lot to escape paying but it is up to you. Let it burn and see.
As always there will be compromises in one way or another if you are building something yourself. Sometimes have to guess which way to go.
I will give my point of view, if you don't like don't read it.
If there is so much " fuss " about little things that are considered important why not add a few more things and let people decide themselves if they are willing to try
Streetside in Laos in the attachment.
Greetings Eduard
Sorry to read this Edward.

Sure post what you like, but more positve and helpful posts the community would like and sharing yuor system with us :)

Great points well made Simon.

i always start with the simplest build possible and the experiment over time. The modular style of these boards gives a great opportunity to learn as we go and the learning is an important part of the build for me. With these builds I've had fun and learned a few things as well as finding some unexplained surprises which I'll ask for opinions when i get down to my build impressions.

''I do feel at times we go too far and the effort needed is not worth it for the perceived sound improvements, its all about the music right?''

I'm constantly wondering if I've hit the improvement buffers in terms of my own systems resolving power. Not hearing much difference when trying something does not always mean that the difference is not there. Sometimes it's down to the resolving power of the whole system.

It's easy to miss the importance of short posts.

I use KISS always when starting projects.

Keep It Simple Stupid:)

To make sure i have something working to learn from.

Oh those big OB looking speakers you have?

I agree with the KISS approach too. :)

I also agree with this statement as all those small gains add up as I have witnessed in my DDDAC.....

Not hearing much difference when trying something does not always mean that the difference is not there. Sometimes it's down to the resolving power of the whole system.

These are the speakers and they are WONDERFUL - https://www.fanthorpes.co.uk/klipsch-forte-iv-speakers

The Sugden amp is this and WONDERFUL too - https://www.fanthorpes.co.uk/sugden-sapphire-fba-800-amplifier

I have also built a tube amplifier as my speakers are sensitive enough and enjoy this sound signature.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Her is the post from Ian
Hello,
So what is the difference with this option from Ians blog?
I remember reading the post some time ago on my phone so not easy to store things and compare in split screen setting like i would do at home.
Of course if you need to wade through the Audiophonics website with obsolete and updated boards all present it is easy to get confused. Just put the latest boards and keep the old ones in the attics in case customers pop up with issues. Or dump them at the right price.
Greetings Eduard

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-02-10-22-38-01-46_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-10-22-38-01-46_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_2024-02-10-22-37-13-61_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-10-22-37-13-61_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 36
''Sorry to read this Edward.''

likewise really sad.

Getting back on the hifi show circuit a few years ago was a real shock for me. empty empty empty. More exhibitors than attendees.

Whilst nice to have plenty of space and no que's it was quite shocking to see that rapid demise.

IMHO

Each new to DIY person that turns up here wants to build, learn and have fun. We older members need to make sure that they do.

Or our lovely hobby dies with us.

These are the speakers and they are WONDERFUL - https://www.fanthorpes.co.uk/klipsch-forte-iv-speakers

Not had the pleasure of those but if you run short on space do THINK OF ME:wave2:

i did notice the Sugden mmmmmmmmm

My set up is much less revealing mid fi which is why I raised building to where I'm at and then a smidge more just in case.

But modular allows plenty of room to play more further down the line.

BTW I've built or had a hand in 3 HDMI streamers and the ESS DAC. We've had our opinions shifted by Ian's work and a creeping dissatisfaction with USB for audio. All of those expensive doodahs to plug in just to get a decent sound.

nice one Ian

So here's heresy No1

I never really liked Raspberry PI DACS. :ninja:

Found most of them ok for the money but not great and not up to the hype that usually follows them.

That's changed.

Reactions: 1 users
It’s good to hear your subjective experiences on this system
and see the rooms in which they live.
My audio DIY started with my cables, then moved to my stand, then to my speakers, amps and now dac/streamer.
Here is my main digital only system.
DIY active 3ways, A26, Khozmo pre. Roon/HQplayer/Focus Fidelity DRC feeding a Cisco fiber router to a Terdak OCXO fiber media convertor.
It will be cool to see if this Dac/Streamer can beat the A26.
If not no worries. It’ll go to a second system with a Yamaha AS2200 and some Altecs I’m building
DIY is the way!

Attachments

• B6880F5E-704C-4A2B-A751-43416FDEC875.jpeg
    B6880F5E-704C-4A2B-A751-43416FDEC875.jpeg
    424 KB · Views: 83
Reactions: 3 users
Thanks @shoom
Honestly I didn’t notice any difference with the Teradak compared to a cheap FMC powered by a solid linear power supply.
It looks better on the rack though.
Using FMCs was literally a revelation and one of the best tweaks/upgrades I have ever done for my network only system.

Last edited:
Camrector.

Love the honesty.

''It looks better on the rack though''

Its so refreshing.

I have 80m Fibre running to my outbuilding music room. in that application a no brainer. Full fibre internet was another nice free upgrade. Yup this country just coming out of the stone age (but not for long :) ).

I'll dig the cheapo FMC out and give it another go now that you've jogged my memory.

thanks