Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Tested my Gustard R26 2R2 DAC with my new HdmiPi Pro II and FifoPiQ7II today. They work great. All previous issue are fixed.

Gustard uses non-standard HDMI format which can not be driven correctly by a HdmiPiPro first generation.
But the new HdmiPi Pro II supports configurable HDMI format, all problems solved. It can support all HDMI input DACs even they are not compatible with PS Audio format.

I build a list for the settings, please let me know if anybody has new updates

DAC

HdmiPiPro II settings

DAC settings

Holo
(Spring3 and others)
  • (S1 all OFF for HdmiPi Pro II)
  • I2S Format: ALT2
  • NOS
  • DPLL: OFF
Denafrips
(Ares 12th and others)
  • I2S Pinout config: MODE0
  • NOS
Topping
(D90 or others)
  • IIS phase setting: IIS PHASE | REV
  • DSD setting: IIS DSDR | DATA
  • DSD Flag bit: DSD Flag 15
SMSL
I2S MODE: INVERTED
I2S DSD CHANNEL: DSDL=PCM LRCK
I2S DSD FLAG=PIN15

Gustard
(R26 and others)
  • S1, HdmiPi Pro II only
  • SW1: OFF
  • SW2: ON
  • SW3: ON
  • SW4: OFF
  • PCM NOS: ON
  • DSD Direct: ON
  • Phase Invert: Disable
Note: Real test shows that Gustard my reversed the left and right channel internally when play native DSD over HDMI. To play the native DSD correctly, it would be better to setup the FifoPi to DoP pass through mode, make R26 to correct this issue by itself.​

• MATRIX ELEMENT
  • S1, HdmiPi Pro II only
  • SW1: OFF
  • SW2: OFF
  • SW3: OFF
  • SW4: ON

• Musican
  • S1, HdmiPi Pro II only
  • SW1: ON
  • SW2: OFF
  • SW3: OFF
  • SW4: OFF

Attachments

• HdmiPiProManual.pdf
    961.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The TDA1541A chip does no up sampling. It plays what it is provided up to it's limits. It was designed to be run oversampled. I run it NOS at 44.1 but many prefer 4x up sampled.
The definitive analysis on SOTA implementation is a thread by ecdesigns. https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/building-the-ultimate-nos-dac-using-tda1541a.79452/
@ryanj did a beautiful job designing a 4 layer pcb effectively implementing ecdesigns findings. His group buy is here. https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/diy-tda1541a-pcb-d3.328060/page-65#post-7545958 It is not an easy DIY soldering task. If you want to do a very good, but easy to solder job, find a sample of his first effort, Distinction D1.
Gabster is having fun, but at this stage his implementation is far from optimized. EG, ground planes, trace line positioning and positioning decoupling caps tight to the 14 pins is critical to good sound. Most of the old CDPs did a very poor job of implementing them.
This is the exact 1541 DAC I am building and just taking my time and enjoying the ride ;)

Reactions: 3 users
@advr What happens in the case of 24bit? Can it be reformatted on the fly?

I happen to own a (commercial) DAC that is based on Philips TDA1453 chips (8 of them). It handles up to 32bit and up to 96kHz input without problem. So, I am wondering whether the TDA1451A might be able to do something similar, even if combining more than one chip together.

I am not an expert on digital, so I apologize for perhaps asking silly questions.

Thanks.

"I am currently in the process of designing a new case for my DAC, and after receiving some valuable advice, I've decided to pursue a two-box solution (despite my attempts to shake off the idea, it just won't leave my mind). However, I find myself uncertain about the correct or optimal format for organizing the contents of these boxes. I've contemplated four options:.

a) [Transformers] ----> 1.5 foot connect cable --> [ Linear Power Supply --> Little Super Capacitors --> DAC ]

b) [Transformers --> Linear Power supply] ---> 1.5 foot connect cable --> [ Little Super Capacitors --> DAC]

c) [Transformers ---> Linear Power supply ---> Little Super Capacitors ] ---> 1.5 foot connect cable [ DAC ]

d) declare myself a complete fool, abandon the project, buy a DAC off the shelf, and save both what little money I have and my sanity. But where's the fun in that? 😉

does anyone have some suggestions:

Hi Ras Dan,

I enjoyed your post. I don't know what's optimal, but was going more or less with your option c.

But I am still redesigning, and added the super capacitors after I'd bought the case and connectors for the transformers and a soft start board. So it's too late for me to make a good decision, since I'm between replacing my case with a bigger one on the one hand, and adding a second matching aluminum case for the two UcPure s on the other.

I'm thinking my stack would look awesome all by itself in clear Acrylic. Gone Daddy, gone.

Anyhow, good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
"I am currently in the process of designing a new case for my DAC, and after receiving some valuable advice, I've decided to pursue a two-box solution (despite my attempts to shake off the idea, it just won't leave my mind). However, I find myself uncertain about the correct or optimal format for organizing the contents of these boxes. I've contemplated four options:.

a) [Transformers] ----> 1.5 foot connect cable --> [ Linear Power Supply --> Little Super Capacitors --> DAC ]

b) [Transformers --> Linear Power supply] ---> 1.5 foot connect cable --> [ Little Super Capacitors --> DAC]

c) [Transformers ---> Linear Power supply ---> Little Super Capacitors ] ---> 1.5 foot connect cable [ DAC ]

d) declare myself a complete fool, abandon the project, buy a DAC off the shelf, and save both what little money I have and my sanity. But where's the fun in that? 😉

I like option b).
I'll share what I did and my rational. I built multiple shielded boxes in one chassis. I kept transformers and linear PS in one area, and the regulator and supercaps in the other as close as possible to the consumer. The rational is you want all the vibration and emi noise shielded to ground. Then the rectifier and supercaps with the shortest possible path to the consumer to avoid picking up noise. The one box was to eliminate connection points and cables. The downside is it is bigger, heavier and less flexible to accommodate new designs.
Ultimately it was 4 'boxes' in one chassis. One area for DAC/FIFO power supplies(digital); One for dual mono output power supply; One for the streamer/fifo; The last one has only the DAC regs, the DAC and a triode output amp. Each box cased in copper or brass, and each one floating on silicone for vibration dampening. Power supplies are mounted on soft wood again to reduce vibration ringing. Last thing worth mentioning is two separate power switches for digital vs analogue so I can keep digital powered up and turn on the tubes just for listening.

Reactions: 2 users

Hi Ras Dan

I would go with option A since this is the most unregulated power line you have with the longest distance of cable. I would keep the cables on the regulated side as short as possible.
If I remember correctly, Ian also recommend to keep the wires very short between the Linear PS and super caps in the manual of UcConditioner.

Reactions: 2 users
I have a question on SC PURE clocks if someone could help with.

I'm thinking of building a simple stack of RPi4 >> FifoPiMa >> TransportPi. I'm thinking of shorting 1-2 and 3-4 of FifoPiMa to share the 5V power supply with RPi4 and TransportPi. And I want to replace the clocks on FifoPi Ma with SC Pure. The SC Pure manual says it needs a 3.3V clean power. Will it be a problem if I share the 5V power with RPi4 and introduce noise? CC: @iancanada

^ depends on the quality of your 5V supply. If you are going to SCPure clocks, why not spend the additional money to get a PurePi? You still only have one 5V supply to the stack, but a 3.3V supply is created by the PurePi for the clocks. I think the FIFOPiMA regulates the 5V to 3.3V for use by the clocks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Any suggestions on where to buy an Amanero 384Combo USB interface in US? Buying direct from them needs international shipping to US. Wondering if there are any online retailers in the US. I found a few on Aliexpress but not sure if they are trustworthy given the price is 1/3rd of what is listed on Amanero's website. If you had good experience with Aliexpress purchase please recommend that as well. Thanks!