Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I think you should just use a 3D printed solution that will support the caps and the ucpure board consisting of two parts connected by some " threaded bars" tie wraps could be to weak.
I think a collection of boards so sensitive to " electronic disturbances " should be in a metal enclosure.
Once you start 3D printing you might as well make something to create a ultra short connection between the supercaps and the " consumer"
Once the French published an mc amplifier with its circuit board directly bolted to the 470000 microfarad caps.
If everything matters why create birdsnest with long cables that have all kind of purposes?
Greetings Eduard

I was hoping to design/have designed mounts for the large Ultra capacitors that I can 3D print out of ABS plastic. Said clamps would have a top and bottom half as well as a location to mount the charging PCB on top. Heat set threaded inserts will be used in all joints for secure connection. I remember such mounts were available for the large 1 farad capacitors we used in car audio. I still have a metal example made by Phoenix Gold in my truck. Should be a secure and safe means to mount the caps.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Sure you dont want supercaps to be mounted with tie wraps under your hood.
Making it from some kind of plastic will keep the plastic cover of the caps intact and offer some vibration reducing if necessary. Mounting the ," signal boards," onto the plastic construction could be an advantage compared to a thin sheet of metal.
Greetings Eduard

Have problem getting native DSD signal from my ian boards combination.:cry: I suspect that I still need extra borad to make native dsd I2S HDMI output works. Can anyone give me some ideas? When installing the borads mentioned underneath, I can get the 44.1k PCM to 192k PCM and DOP DSD64 works. But the Fifopi Q3 show DSD signal is empty (no light lit) when streaming native DSD to rp4.

Rp4b (Ropieee-Running NAA)

FiFoPi Q3

• -MCLK signal to ReclockPi & HdmiPi Pro
  • -Accusilicon AS318 45MHz & 49MHz
  • -DOP decoding enable
  • -bit depth keep the same

ReClockPi

HdmiPi Pro or TransportPiMkII (I tried both)

Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC
  • -I2S port mode 0
View attachment 1240112
<Picture of my RP4 setting>

I have tried connect DSD and mute signal cable, It make no difference.
i have tried every possible I2S setting on Denafrips Pontus dac, all I2S mode doesnt work.

Is MonitorPi pro or ReceiverPi necessary in my situation?
You can download the HdmiPi Pro user's manual for the Denafrips settings.
https://github.com/iancanada/DocumentDownload/blob/master/HDMIpi/HdmiPiPro/HdmiPiProManual.pdf

But Deanfrips internal clock can not be bypassed so the room of improvement could be limited.

Yes, a MonitorPi or pro will be a great help to debug you DSD issue but you have to setup you software and DAC correctly to get the correct DSD playback.

Congratulations and thanks for such an extensive comparison. It basically says, to your ear that SC-Pure is a direct replacement for Pulsar, which if memory serves was always your favorite but now unobtainable clock.
Out of curiosity, do you find them similar to the Well Audio clock I see in the pic? If I recall correctly, you slightly preferred Pulsar to Well Audio, but just interested if I can make these conclusions.
Hi Ian,
Thank you for your subjective test.
Very instructive to compare SC-Pure with my AS318B 90/98MHz
Why didn't you include the DRIXO 5.6MHz too?

I do have the phase noise and listening test results on my DRIXO 49/45/24/22/6.14/5.6 MHz clocks. Though I use industry standard phase noise analyzer (R&S FSPN) for the phase noise test, and have quite decent system for the listening test, I still don't think it's fair enough to post the results without his permission. Sorry about that.
He did a good job introducing good clocks to the community. I respect his works and efforts.
You can try to get them compared by yourself, please just trust your own feelings and experiences.

Ian

Reactions: 2 users
I was hoping to design/have designed mounts for the large Ultra capacitors that I can 3D print out of ABS plastic. Said clamps would have a top and bottom half as well as a location to mount the charging PCB on top. Heat set threaded inserts will be used in all joints for secure connection. I remember such mounts were available for the large 1 farad capacitors we used in car audio. I still have a metal example made by Phoenix Gold in my truck. Should be a secure and safe means to mount the caps.
Looking forward to seeing it.

Reactions: 1 user
You can download the HdmiPi Pro user's manual for the Denafrips settings.
https://github.com/iancanada/DocumentDownload/blob/master/HDMIpi/HdmiPiPro/HdmiPiProManual.pdf

But Deanfrips internal clock can not be bypassed so the room of improvement could be limited.

Yes, a MonitorPi or pro will be a great help to debug you DSD issue but you have to setup you software and DAC correctly to get the correct DSD playback.

I was actully following the application example in your HdmiPiPro manual. My build is almost identical to your demonstration except not yet buying the touch screen.

I thought it acts as a digitial transport, which accpet usb input from Amanero and turns it into better quality I2S Hdmi output. :unsure: I guess this is not the correct understanding of above example? So what it actually does? :ROFLMAO:
1701317678831.png

I was actully following the application example in your HdmiPiPro manual. My build is almost identical to your demonstration except not yet buying the touch screen.

I thought it acts as a digitial transport, which accpet usb input from Amanero and turns it into better quality I2S Hdmi output. :unsure: I guess this is not the correct understanding of above example? So what it actually does? :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 1240499
"I thought it acts as a digitial transport, which accpet usb input from Amanero and turns it into better quality I2S Hdmi output"

That's what exactly it dose. What's the question?

I do have the phase noise and listening test results on my DRIXO 49/45/24/22/6.14/5.6 MHz clocks. Though I use industry standard phase noise analyzer (R&S FSPN) for the phase noise test, and have quite decent system for the listening test, I still don't think it's fair enough to post the results without his permission. Sorry about that.
He did a good job introducing good clocks to the community. I respect his works and efforts.
You can try to get them compared by yourself, please just trust your own feelings and experiences.

Ian
Ok. I understand.
Thank you for your answer.

Have you solved the issue yet? i think we have kind of similar issue. We both cannot make native DSD work, while my Denafrips dac can accept all kind of HDMI I2S setting. Sadly, it doesnt solve my problem, I have tried every I2S mode on DAC side setting. BTW, I also tried the StatinoPi pro with amanero USB as sources to combined with FIFOPI Q3 and HdmiPIi Pro, it turns out having the same issue.
View attachment 1240129 View attachment 1240130
(HDMI I2S option of my dac)............................................................................ (HDMI pins of HdmiPi Pro)

Not solved yet as I am still waiting for a replacement MonitorPi Pro to check/change the FifoPi Pro settings.

The issue remains: distortion/static noise with all material above PCM96 including DSD, regardless whether I play with Amanero or the internal I2S 'DAC'. It occurs regardless of whether I use the Leaf Audio CMD27 DAC or the Audio-GD DI20HE DDC.

I am pretty sure that it has nothing to do with the I2S pin layout. The fact that it plays undistorted PCM96 and distorted DSD shows that the pin mapping is correct, and it should be as both sides adhere to the PS Audio standard. The same DAC with the same cables plays everything well up to DSD512 when I use another RPI4 based streamer using this standard.

Also looking at your issue, I am guessing it is something with either the FifoPi (Q3 resp. Q7) or HDMIPi Pro, or their configuration using the StationPi Pro board. I hope to find out when I get a new MonitorPi Pro. Ian is kindly helping me a bit via PM's.

One thing I noticed is that I prefer the sound with the internal I2S 'DAC' to that with Amanero. But even then I would like to get PCM192 to work.

Reactions: 1 users
Also still having the distortion problem with all material above PCM96.

My configuration: stationpi pro, receiverpi pro II, FifiQ7, monitorpi pro.
Tried all monitorpi pro settings but the distortion is still there.

Ian suggested to remove the receiverpi pro II to check. As I don;t have time until now, I didn't tried that yet.

To be continued.

Ian
Fair enough. FWIW I do not see any issue with stating your own subjective opinion. We all know sound impressions are subjective and we all tend to like our own creations best. So it is probably an unfair question.

Separate question. Is it possible to run an original FIFOPi with SinePi with DRIXO 5.6 connected via cable along with SC-Pure 24 plugged into the pins?

@eduard I agree. That was just one way I was thinking. A box solution is best for sure but I think by the time I find something that could be printed and shipped I'd be halfway to a printer that would do the job.

I've got an idea, think like a guillotine at each end held captive by the nuts.
I just redeemed my CC points for one of these

https://www.anycubic.com/products/kobra-2-pro

I'd like to collaborate with any of you who know how to design 3d objects. Send me a PM

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,.
I have no clue about these machines . It will take a few days at most before you can make your own design.
The hardest part will be the drawing/programming just like the numerous cnc punching machines i worked with. The machine will do what you tell him to do but he will need to understand what you are saying so to say.
Of course you could also not print a threaded hole but add the threading yourself after just making the right seize of hole by printing.
You could use a material that has some vibration absorption characteristics like pom which is used a lot for turntables.
Greetings Eduard