Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Thanks Ian, for looking into this!
My Leaf Audio CMD27 DAC also uses the PS Audio pin layout:
View attachment 1238616
Surprisingly, even if the DSD flag on pin 15 is not sent by the streamer, the DAC plays PCM as well as DSD. Only with your stack there is noise on all files of 176 kHz or higher: a soft hiss before the music starts, and then loud static noise/distortion that is triggered by the music.
I just tried again with a direct ethernet connection (to rule out the EtherRegen) but it is still the same.
This behavior is the same whether I use the Amanero board or the internal I2S DAC.

Not solved yet, but further troubleshooting will have to wait until I have a working MonitorPi Pro to check/change the FifoPi Pro settings.

Reactions: 1 user
@iancanada

I have a design revision suggestion for the PurePi board:

When combining this with the RPi computer and want to install it in an enclosure the USB-C connector of the PurePi board will be blocked by the panel of the enclosure if I want to use a linear P/S which is also in the same enclosure.
Unless I decide to have the P/S output to the same panel (by a 5,5/2,1 mm barrel for example) and have a small cable outside the cabinet to feed the USB-C input.
Then of course the panel of the cabinet will need to have a cutout too for the USB-C plug of the PurePi.

An additional 2-pin header or connector / socket on the PurePi would be sufficient to have the option to feed the PurePi from within the same cabinet.

Another option is to find the 5 Vdc solder pads near the USB-C connector (see 4 pads at the underside of the board .. are these usable or are these for the connector housing = GND ?) and solder a cable here to feed via the cable.

Or are there better position where I can attach some additional P/S wiring ?

To make it fit anyway I will need to remove the outer PCB and also remove the ears al both corners.
I guess these have no functional PCB traces ?

Reason:
I have a Saligny rectifier and want to use this with an LT1085 + Noizator to have a super clean "raw" power feeding this into the PurePi.
Even a very good power stage as the PurePi will still benefit from a cleaner external supplied voltage.

View attachment 1238352

Thanks Oystein for the suggestions, I'll think of it and take into consideration.
Good weekend.
Ian

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I just read that there is an American laboratory that with the help of AI developed a new material to be used in supercaps. They claim it has 4 times the energy storage capacity compared to the ones available now.
So next year we will be in for a new quality leap .
Greetings Eduard

Reactions: 2 users
UcPure double configuration

A friend of mine was crazy. He asked me to build a UcPure II with two pairs of 3000F ultracapacitors in parallel. That’s really awesome.

With this configuration, the pure time will be doubled for sure, but the most important thing is that the ESR will be just the half. So it means that the performance will be improved even more.

During my test, I connected this UcPure double to a StationPi Pro (my ES9038Q2M Dual Mono II DAC) to provide the 5V power supply for RPi. I was surprised to find that the sound quality got improved! That makes me listen to a lot of music files again and again with new discoveries. But with the built-in isolator on FifoPi Q7, why can a better RPi power supply still improve sound quality? I think the reason could be that, during my phase noise measurement on my SC-Pure, I’ve found that the environment EMI noise can degrade the clock phase noise performance if the phase noise is already lower than a certain level, especially some noisy devices within 1 meter range of the clock. A RPi could be the case. But an ultra-low ESR UcPure double power supply can be a great help to suppress that EMI noise.
If there is anybody who has had similar testing or experience, please let me know for the update.

Charging current was increased to 4.5A from the default 3.5A. And also, it’s better to enable the SYNC charging function of the UcPure II.
BTW, using a 12V/3.5-5A AC input would be better than the 18.5V laptop adapter to eliminate the EMI noise of a SMPS.

UcPureDouble

Ian

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
You beat me to it, I'm actually working on such a configuration, but double supercapacitors at +-5 and 3.3V.
The only problem is the housing, I will need 1m3 for such a power supply :cool:
Ian, what is the limit on how much the UcPure MKIII can charge, how many amps does it draw at maximum?

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
The big issue is the seize of the ultracaps and not the money.
Of course if you read the French articles about their sealed led batteries and big caps and a supercap ( 30 or more years ago) for a mc cartridge amplifier so understand that a supply can never be to good.
BUT then people should also pay more attention to carefully positioning of all the boards and cables in order not create any " loops "
Better have the lowest emi possible before trying to suppress it with the supply i guess.
Greetings Eduard

Thanks Ian, for looking into this!
My Leaf Audio CMD27 DAC also uses the PS Audio pin layout:
View attachment 1238616
Surprisingly, even if the DSD flag on pin 15 is not sent by the streamer, the DAC plays PCM as well as DSD. Only with your stack there is noise on all files of 176 kHz or higher: a soft hiss before the music starts, and then loud static noise/distortion that is triggered by the music.
I just tried again with a direct ethernet connection (to rule out the EtherRegen) but it is still the same.
This behavior is the same whether I use the Amanero board or the internal I2S DAC.
And you have changed the output to 32 bit lossless,FifoPi Q7

Hi all!!

This is my build

IMG_20231126_195733.jpg

IMG_20231119_132819.jpg

IMG_20231119_142421.jpg

The results are superb, better imaging, better extension and detail, better control.

i2s on Rockna Wavedream

I had problem with the one UcConditioner, overvoltege light on, i rectified the problem with the help of Dimdim, we resoldered the capacitors and then proceeded to fully discharge them with a 100w 1ohm resistor making sure to measure the voltage as it dropped to be the same on both. It seems that only if the voltage of both capacitors are very close less than 0,2V or so is the UcConditioner able to charge both capacitors without overvoltage. This is just what we found in practice maybe Ian can chime in.

Also had problem with short circuit of the Q7 on the GPIO pins on the StationPiPro, had to bend the 6 pins "V" shape and put electric tape on to be sure.

Not a fan of the very small smd fuses got 10 of them as replacements.

Other than that all good, the setup delivers what it promises.

Still have to close the box

Cheers to all!!

Reactions: 11 users

A friend of mine was crazy. He asked me to build a UcPure II with two pairs of 3000F ultracapacitors in parallel. That’s really awesome.

With this configuration, the pure time will be doubled for sure, but the most important thing is that the ESR will be just the half. So it means that the performance will be improved even more.

During my test, I connected this UcPure double to a StationPi Pro (my ES9038Q2M Dual Mono II DAC) to provide the 5V power supply for RPi. I was surprised to find that the sound quality got improved! That makes me listen to a lot of music files again and again with new discoveries. But with the built-in isolator on FifoPi Q7, why can a better RPi power supply still improve sound quality? I think the reason could be that, during my phase noise measurement on my SC-Pure, I’ve found that the environment EMI noise can degrade the clock phase noise performance if the phase noise is already lower than a certain level, especially some noisy devices within 1 meter range of the clock. A RPi could be the case. But an ultra-low ESR UcPure double power supply can be a great help to suppress that EMI noise.
If there is anybody who has had similar testing or experience, please let me know for the update.

Charging current was increased to 4.5A from the default 3.5A. And also, it’s better to enable the SYNC charging function of the UcPure II.
BTW, using a 12V/3.5-5A AC input would be better than the 18.5V laptop adapter to eliminate the EMI noise of a SMPS.

UcPureDouble

Ian
Hi @iancanada

Interesting observation Ian🙂

Would you also recommend powering the LinearPi with AC rather than DC from a SMPS, when driving a Rpi/dirty side of Q7? Is the situation the same with a UcConditioner attached?

Regards🙂

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I was going to use a LinearPi to feed 12V DC into the UCPureIII, but it would be easier to use the same 12V AC secondary transformer directly into the UCPureIII if there is not a sound quality hit by doing it that way.
Hello,
Ucpure is all about getting the power supply independent from the wall socket so a basic transformer will do.
Probably two transformers gives a much better isolation between the circuits to be fed.
Usually an smps will produce more garbage of a kind that is hard to filter than an old fashioned clc or crc supply.
Does a smps also radiates garbage because it is working at a much higher frequency?
If you create a box full with all kind of aerials you will be back to square one. Of course using the right kind of transformers will also isolate you better from the grid.
Greetings Eduard

Hello,
Ucpure is all about getting the power supply independent from the wall socket so a basic transformer will do.
Probably two transformers gives a much better isolation between the circuits to be fed.
Usually an smps will produce more garbage of a kind that is hard to filter than an old fashioned clc or crc supply.
Does a smps also radiates garbage because it is working at a much higher frequency?
If you create a box full with all kind of aerials you will be back to square one. Of course using the right kind of transformers will also isolate you better from the grid.
Greetings Eduard
@eduard

UcPure is no doubt the greatest power supply in the real world, it's way more than just the isolation, we should understand more about UcPure

1. UcPure has ultra-low ESR down to 0.2mohm, no any other power supply can compete.
2. It is an ultra-low noise power supply, especially the noise closed to DC and the flicker noise. its noise even can not be detected by normal equipment.
3. UcPure is an ultra-dynamic power supply, it can deliver more than 2000A dynamic current
4. It is a passive power supply, with zero feedback
5. UcPure is an independent/isolated power supply, there will no any ground loop when operate.

That's why people got good result when upgrading their system with UcPure.
UcPure is very closed to the ideal power supply, it doesn't have a competitor so far.

UcBalancer2

Ian

Rather than go to so much effort to compensate for the fact that the Pi is simply a bad audio device, wouldn't it be better to design a dedicated streaming device that can run its own buffer which peeks several seconds ahead, produces good quality clocks and a lot less EMI? The Pi could be in charge of downloading data from the network and playlist control, but be located far away.