Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Hi Ian, Hi guys,
I would like to power a TWTMC-DRIXO and doublers with some spare lifepo mini I have in stock.
2x6.6v and 1x3.3v and I have few questions if you may help me.

1/ is it ok to bridge the 3 lifepo mini to get 16.5v?

2/ do you think this Ac transformer values will be optimal?
Total Power : 103.00VA
Frequency : 50Hz
Primaires:
1 x 0 - 230 V
Secondaires:
2 x 0 - 9 V / 4.5 A (40.50 VA)
1 x 0 - 5 V / 4.5 A (22.50 VA)
Support SF01
  • Thermal Fuse
  • Electrostatic Screen

3/ subsidiary question
Is it possible to lower the lifepo mini output to 5v?
Will it be better to set 3xlifepo mini lowered to 5v and 3 ucconditionner 5v to power the clock?
Will it increase SQ enough to be worth the price and the work?

Thank you for your help.

Appreciate the suggest, but I've been using this for years successfully with Ian's gear:

View attachment 1227950
I can power 5V via GPIO and it has a 3.3V output.

I scale with 26650 not 18650, but I think battery pack + PurePi II optimal.

View attachment 1227957

I use one 26650 in place of the 18650, but I can add 26650 sleds too to scale:

View attachment 1227951

If fact, I changed my Group Buy to include a SC-PURE now that battery pack + PurePi II is an option.

I'm only missing a Clock and a Power Supply to complete my secondary stack. Power Supply can wait.

I wasn't looking forward to building a duplicate UcPure foundation for my secondary stack, so a battery pack + PurePi MKII should work out.
Most UPS has SMPS inside. The output noise level will be very high and very hard to be filtered. Please try to use direct battery or ultracapacitor power supplies.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

does someone know more about the power trigger input/outputs of the ian canada power supply modules?

i had the idea of a proper power switch for the raspberry pi, which mostly means starting/stopping/resetting with one button (like on normal PC`s) controlled with a microcontroller and since we already use a microcontroller also a fancy combined power/activity LED via RGB
i might publish gerber files for the board later on if someone is interested

this module could also implement power trigger in/out, thats why im curious how they are implement on the ian canada boards, so i can make it combatible
tho im not sure yet how practicable this is, it was just a idea since im working on the power button thing

According to the real phase noise test to DRIXO, the best phase noise performance was measured when power it by a UcPure 15V configuration.
Hi Ian,
Yes I know UcPure are the best(I will use them in my next project).
But for now I have spare Lifepo Mini and my case is not big enough to put UcPure inside.

I read that there is sometime problems with AC powering lifepo if voltage is too high.
Are 9v 4.5A and 5v 4.5A ok for powering lifepo mini 6.6v and 3.3v or is it a better voltage setting.
Thank you

Most UPS has SMPS inside. The output noise level will be very high and very hard to be filtered. Please try to use direct battery or ultracapacitor power supplies.

Welcome Back Ian. I really admire how you designed and launched so many products in 2023. It's actually quite amazing. Of course, I will always cherish the most underrated product in the lineup which is the UcBalancer. Having waited for a few years for Eaton Balancing Boards was brutal, so it makes me really appreciate the UcBalancer.

Yes, this is great advice. But I've been distracted from my Primary Rig which uses direct battery and ultracapacitor power and considering a travel / office rig. There will have to be some compromises. There are some that still use legacy Ian products and finding ways to re-purpose. Not all of us are implementing the latest and greatest Ian gear as the legacy Ian gear is still durable and of excellent quality.

As the Group Buy is nearing an end, I tend to get distracted.

So for this distraction, I'm considering a off-the-shelf Battery Pack -> PurePi MKII -> RPi4 -> Q3 -> SC-PURE -> RCP -> TransportPi MKI.

I like your Reservoir analogy of an ultracapacitor so if I feed the PurePi MKII, any noise from a off-the-shelf 5V Battery Pack should be filtered in this reservoir before it hits the Q3 stack.

Please ignore the UPS, that is an archived project. It's now used in a RC Car. Because of the difficulties with Air Travel with Batteries and Ultracapacitors, battery packs work out because of it's commonality. So if I want a traveling Ian rig, off-the-shelf Battery Pack is the most optimal for I. So direct battery or ultracapacitor via an Ian product is not an option for Air Travel use cases.

Maybe I'll go back on focusing on my Primary. I hate getting distracted but I had the itch to Travel lately since 2024 is approaching.

Last edited:
That’s his mine is powered and it’s stunning

There's no documentation on a UcPure/UcBalancer 15.5V build yet? I'm considering UcBalancers for the Group Buy. I already have a UcPure MKI for this purpose.

If you are using UcBalancers, quantity 3 UcBalancers sound about right? I don't expect those with UcPure in production to have upgraded to UcBalancers this Summer. Thxs.

1640132639816.png

DC input doesn't directly affect the pure 3.3V battery output of a PurePi. However it may affect the 5V ultracapacitor output quality. And if you use a SMPS, small amount of EMI noise may across the isolation barrier through air. So, in any case, Linear DC input is always preferred as long as it is possible.
Ian

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...epo4-battery-power-supply.327105/post-7377190

If not for Ian products, I consider a Battery Pack (Off Mains advocate) the ultimate PSU in general and to feed a PurePi MKII as an DC Input. But I think it's best to re-focus on my Primary Rig as Travel is not guaranteed in these interesting times.

Hello,
I'm building purepi, rpi, fifopi q7, transportpi mkII setup.I would like to use it as a roon bridge with ropieee xl.

I've been using it without HATs and bridge would only show up in roon if the usb dac was connected. Now, I installed the HATs, connected clock and power cables, changed ropieee settings to audiophonics HAT as described in Ian's documentation. I connected a digital coax cable to transport pi, however it isn't showing up in roon as an endpoint and there is no output. The "empty" led is red on fifopi, only the power led is lighting on transportpi.

I would like to ask for some help, thank you in advance.

Thanks,
Dénes

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231028-153541_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231028-153541_Samsung Internet.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 51
hello

i have completed the streamer case.
I made one more case for the uc-pureIII for power.

I have connected all the wires needed to make it work.
I haven't mounted the raspberry pi module yet.
For now, it only works with eRED-mod.
It works perfectly with roon, tidal, and qobuz.

I put in power and wait for the SC-PURE clock to warm up.
Music is more realistic and fine details come to life.
Comparison of the CCHD957, NDK2520SDA, and sc-pure.
sc-pure is the best for fine detail.

The control buttons on the MonitorFi Pro have been moved to the back.
There's still a little more work to be done, but I'm happy with the sound quality.

FifoPiQ7
TransportPiAES (sc947-02lf)
HdmiPiPro
ScPure 45,49
UcPure III
MonitorPiPro

Attachments

• IMG_3855.JPG
    IMG_3855.JPG
    465.7 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_4129.JPG
    IMG_4129.JPG
    630.1 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_4121.JPG
    IMG_4121.JPG
    299.5 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_4130.JPG
    IMG_4130.JPG
    409.7 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_4127.JPG
    IMG_4127.JPG
    339 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_4128.JPG
    IMG_4128.JPG
    295.6 KB · Views: 219
Reactions: 10 users
Hello,
I'm building purepi, rpi, fifopi q7, transportpi mkII setup.I would like to use it as a roon bridge with ropieee xl.

I've been using it without HATs and bridge would only show up in roon if the usb dac was connected. Now, I installed the HATs, connected clock and power cables, changed ropieee settings to audiophonics HAT as described in Ian's documentation. I connected a digital coax cable to transport pi, however it isn't showing up in roon as an endpoint and there is no output. The "empty" led is red on fifopi, only the power led is lighting on transportpi.

I would like to ask for some help, thank you in advance.

Thanks,
Dénes
You need to configure an audio HAT. You can use Audiophonics 9038 driver.

hello

i have completed the streamer case.
I made one more case for the uc-pureIII for power.

I have connected all the wires needed to make it work.
I haven't mounted the raspberry pi module yet.
For now, it only works with eRED-mod.
It works perfectly with roon, tidal, and qobuz.

I put in power and wait for the SC-PURE clock to warm up.
Music is more realistic and fine details come to life.
Comparison of the CCHD957, NDK2520SDA, and sc-pure.
sc-pure is the best for fine detail.

The control buttons on the MonitorFi Pro have been moved to the back.
There's still a little more work to be done, but I'm happy with the sound quality.

FifoPiQ7
TransportPiAES (sc947-02lf)
HdmiPiPro
ScPure 45,49
UcPure III
MonitorPiPro
Can you elaborate on the eRED-mod Roon bridge capabilities? Any web based management for configuration? Which are the max capabilities detected by Roon and which are the actual usable with FIFOPI-Q7 (PCM/DSD native/DoP)?
I would expect it to be far better than a RPI for audio purposes and this looks to match your observation so far.
I have noticed this board in the past, however there was not much information available for it and therefore refrained from ordering one.

Although for some time I have been ogling Ian Canada's modules and ploughing through this bounteous thread, this is my first post here. I think I am ready to take the plunge, and to start with a streamer with I2S output, for which I would use the RPi4 that is now in my Pi2AES.

Before ordering, I would appreciate any comments on my current shopping list:
  • StationPi Pro
  • FifoPi Q7
  • HDMIPi Pro
  • PurePi II
  • 2x batteries 18650
  • UcConditioner 3.3V
  • 2 ultracapacitors
I thought to use the StationPi Pro to facilitate putting it in a box later. I have a good 5V LPS available (Paul Hynes).

Newbee question: is it correct that all RPi based DAC projects here are actually integrated streamer/DAC combo's? If yes, would that bring SQ benefits compared to using a separate streamer, due to shorter/simplified connections? No need in that case for an HDMI/I2S cable for instance.
Sound like an interesting project 🙂

I would always go with the station Pi pro instead of a separate DAC/RPI stack.

The station pi pro is designed to have two separate stacks with a shielded wall between them.
This will also give you the opportunity to add a USB input via an amanero.

There's no documentation on a UcPure/UcBalancer 15.5V build yet? I'm considering UcBalancers for the Group Buy. I already have a UcPure MKI for this purpose.

If you are using UcBalancers, quantity 3 UcBalancers sound about right? I don't expect those with UcPure in production to have upgraded to UcBalancers this Summer. Thxs.

View attachment 1228278
I am worried about the metal standoffs digging in the thin cap sleeve, the Cap Body is Positive The standoff where the nut is located is only separated by Varnish from the - ground of the UCPure.
With a bit of time or bad luck you could have a huge short. I suggest using Plastic Standoffs and strapping the caps independently from the UcPure or different design. Other the that that is a great way to do 15.5V I learned the hard way years ago with a regular cap. Hope I did not hurt any feelings I thought I say something.

Reactions: 2 users

View attachment 1228278
Here is my setup…..

Attachments

• IMG_4973.jpeg
    IMG_4973.jpeg
    674.4 KB · Views: 159
  • 13FA1E48-53C9-439F-BA05-8F32586040B5.jpeg
    13FA1E48-53C9-439F-BA05-8F32586040B5.jpeg
    240.1 KB · Views: 157
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone, who has MonitorPi Pro, can you test for me the following?
  • Turn off the 'Continous clock output mode' in the advanced menu
  • With remote control, switch to an input which has no signal (e.g. HDMI)
  • Check if the remote control stops working or not
Thank you!
I have news on this issue. If I remove Rpi4 from the stack, MonitorPi Pro works flawlessly.

My whole stack is the following:
  • Rpi4
  • ReceiverPi Pro II
  • FifoPi Q7
  • TransportPi MKII
  • MonitorPi Pro

In this case the MonitorPi stops receiving remote control signal if I switch to HDMI or Rpi4 input with no signal.

If I put MonitorPi onto a Rpi4+ReceiverPi mini-stack, I get the same error.
The only way for issue-safe working is to remove Rpi4 from the stack.

Can anyone test it for me?