Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Any of you doing clock rolling?

I received Accusilicon 90 and 98 for testing with DSD1024. I ordered them at AliExpress.
My setup is not fully configured for DSD1024 but I am able to play DSD512 (DoP) with Sc-Pure (45-49) clocks.
I am also able to play DSD256 in native mode with SC-Pure.

With Accusilicon 90-98. All I can get is max DSD128 (DoP). No DSD native and nothing higher than DSD128.
No problem in PCM thou. The maximum resolution I have is 192/24.

I see the resolution on the MonitorPi and also on my Holo May DAC.

Any ideas?

Could the Accusilicon clocks defective?

Thank you.

Hi,
You use raspberry and ropieee? I saw a limitation caused by the dac-driver. After switching to the AUDIOPHONICS Sabre I was able to run pcm 384.

As I understand also the raspberry could be a limitation. But I cannot confirm that.

But perhaps this remark rings you any bells.

I’m curious to hear from you.

Rgrds, Jan

Hi Ian,

will the SC-Pure Clock soon be available with frequencies 24,000 MHz and 25,000 MHz?
That would be great, because we need these frequencies for clock optimization of USB Cards (24,000 MHz) and network devices (25,000 MHz).
I think you offer a really great product and I think it will take these devices to the next level.
Thanks in advance!
Horst
Why don't I get an answer?

kind regards
Horst

New ES9038Q2M Dual Mono II DAC PDF document.
Hi @iancanada,
First of all it's nice to see that the new DAC is now available. I assume that this DAC can then also be supplied with power via a PUREPI II, as you mentioned here.
What would you have to do to play back DSD1024 natively with this DAC? What would be your recommended configuration for this?
Do you know if it is possible to play back DSD1024 natively via an RPi? What would be a possible music player here? Would it work with HQPlayer?

Reactions: 1 user
What would you have to do to play back DSD1024 natively with this DAC? What would be your recommended configuration for this?
Do you know if it is possible to play back DSD1024 natively via an RPi? What would be a possible music player here? Would it work with HQPlayer?
The message was sent to Ian but I think I can give a few hints here. This is my journey for now. I built the DDC to be able to test this.

To be able to play the 15 (yes, 1 and 5, 15) DSD1024 albums worldwide, you have the following challenge (from the END):
  • You need a DAC capable to play DSD1024, ideally natively or DoP.
  • You need i2s input on your DAC because the other inputs have limitations on high resolution music.
  • If your DAC is not reclocking your input, a DDC or streamer with Ian’s component is a great idea. I have more comments on this part later.
  • Your music source may feed your DDC is streamer with USB or Ethernet, most of the time. You need to make sure your source can handle DSD1024….

As of now, I have a Mac M1 with Roon feeding my DDC with USB. Roon does not support DSD1024 files, maximum is 512. My Mac support up to DSD256. The USB board I have on my project is an Amanero board, it does not support DSD1024, max. Is 512 with Windows Drivers. Linux is possible thou. The same logic applies to RPI DDC or streamer, it depens on the hardware, firmware and also the software you will use on the RPI. The RPI part is the weakest link for now, this is why I have put it aside for now. My DDC is RPI-less.

Once you solve all this, then you would be able to use HQPlayer with DSD1024 given your have a computer powerful enough to process the signal in real time. You can also have HQP driving DSD512 or even DSD256 with very good results. I think this is where I will end up at the end of my journey.

My two cents….

Yves

Reactions: 1 user
It’s not the RPi hardware itself. It’s the Linux kernel running on the RPi. So it’s based on the music player distribution you are using. Check into gentooplayer. And some others that I think can do higher rate protocols.

You kind of have to roll your own distro or add software that modifies OS level packages I believe. I’ve yet to try anything more than DSD64 and 24/192.
I find th source quality and production quality make a bigger difference once you get above CD audio sampling.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi @Yveskoala,
I appreciate your contribution.

May I ask why the RPI is the weakest link?
RPI was not built for audio at first. There are several aspect to take care,: hardware, firmware, software, including operating systems and drivers. It might work with an OS but the software you want to use is not running on this OS. I don’t say it’s impossible but it us a lot of work.

As far as I understand, the compatibility of a DAC HAT under Linux depends on the driver and the device tree overlay provided of the manufacturer. Depending on the information provided there, ALSA can read out the relevant information on the maximum supported sampling rate and then of course can also output this rate. Jussi (the developer of HQPlayer) is currently not aware of any device tree overlay that natively supports DSD. Perhaps someone here knows more about this.

Hi @iancanada,
First of all it's nice to see that the new DAC is now available. I assume that this DAC can then also be supplied with power via a PUREPI II, as you mentioned here.
Hi @iancanada,
What would be your recommended configuration for this?
Do you know if it is possible to play back DSD1024 natively via an RPi?
Hi,
I think that to play upsampled dsd1024 with HQplayer and the best filters, you will need one of the latest intel processors and a RTX3090, not a rpi.
You may get more info on roon forums.