Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Yeah, I've seen his videos and they are really helpful but I wanted to try to get an idea of the quality level of 1. Ian's boards vs. "mainstream" boards ( boards used in most streamers or DAC's ) and 2. What is a comparitable model or brand to the quality of the streamer using Ian's boards? Thanks!
- Bri
Watch the video. He speaks about that. Then watch the “second best DAC in the world one” where he compares SQ to $15k-$30k DACS.

Yeah, I've seen his videos and they are really helpful but I wanted to try to get an idea of the quality level of 1. Ian's boards vs. "mainstream" boards ( boards used in most streamers or DAC's ) and 2. What is a comparitable model or brand to the quality of the streamer using Ian's boards? Thanks!
- Bri
I'd suggest you give the ProtoDAC a try. Gabster does a good review on one here:

You're very welcome @Bri61009

I've recently built the ProtoDAC kit and have been trying different caps in place of the Wima caps the kit comes with. I have had very good results from doing this. I am also in the process of upgrading the PS, as I had purchased a cheap one just to test the DAC out. I'm not sure about your budget, but this build was one of the best investments I have made. Don't let the cost fool you!

@Bri61009 I'll offer a couple of observations about the Iancanada stack vs the competition. IMHO, even in it's most basic form, it is very good. I think it's biggest value is it's flexibility to be used as a good streamer, or as a device that could compete at almost any level. You can start out basic using the supplied clocks and any power supply and then upgrade one area at a time. Savor the improvements. If you want to go all the way start with the FIFOQ7. Add the best supercap based power supplies to most of the consumers and a good linear supply to the dirty side. Add great clocks. Consider vibration and EMI isolation. With a good DAC (without its own FIFO) you will compete with the best of the best. It will not be cheap, but will be a fraction of the price of commercial stuff. It will also be future proofed because you can continue swap lego components vs selling your $20k DAC every 2 years to keep up.

Reactions: 3 users
@WladimirMXP

What material are you using between the clocks and board? What thickness also? I was thinking on some type of rubber/foam? I bet using this foam damping material in-between clocks like Chrystex would help as well? Thanks!
Yeah surely can, but it also depends on implementation, so as always experiments are needed. I used RTOM Moongel transparent, cut to smaller pieces. 1 layer below, 2 layers above. Previously mentioned Teradak board is excellent for the purpose of making the "upstairs", as it has a flat bottom.

Reactions: 1 user
In no way am I trying to stray him in another direction by using only Iancanad's components! But for around the $100 mark, I believe this would be a great way to having a starting point! I've already suggested to @fusion360guy just to try and give the ProtoDAC a chance. I mean for like $59 for the ProtoDAC kit, what would you have to loose?

Hi @iancanada

Do you have a 2D drawing of the MonitorPi Pro or could add it to the manual please? I would very much like to put it into my CAD model of a new enclosure 🙂

Regards Mikkel
@miklau See post #10065 it may help. That is an MPiPro in the diagram. I can measure hole centers so you can scale it.

68.5mm bottom holes spacing
20.5mm left side hole spacing.

You should be able to scale diagram in post with these measurements

Last edited:
New ES9038Q2M DM MKII best sound quality configuration

I have been testing this new ES9038Q2M Dual Mono MKII DAC for more than two weeks. I’m really happy with it.

I tried many configurations. They are all excellent. Based on my test, the best sound quality configuration is:
#4B ES9038Q2M Dual Mono MKII DAC DAC
#6B OPA861 I/V
#1D FifoPiQ7 with SC-Pure 45 and 49
#32B LinearPi Solo 5V with #25B UcConditioner 5V
#41C UcPureMkIII 3.3V for both Q7 and DAC (two UcPure3.3V could be even better)
#41C 2*UcPureMkIII 5V for I/V
#49B MonitorPiPro as controller
RaspberryPi 4
#35B StationPiPro (optional)
#19C ReceiverPiProII with controller (optional)
USB streamer (Amanero or compatible, optional)

The recommended MonitorPiPro or ESS controller configuration with SC-Pure 45/49:
  1. DPLL Bandwidth PCM:1
  2. DPLL Bandwidth DSD:1
  3. Other settings: default
Software driver configuration: Audiophonics ESS I-Sabre DAC

ES9038Q2M Dual Mono MKII DAC has more improvements over the previous version.
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...fight-the-jitter.192465/page-475#post-7452106
But the SC-Pure clocks and UcPure MkIII power supplies (with 3000F UCs) also make big differences.

It could be the best sound quality Sigma-Delta DAC so far I have ever listened to. I even couldn’t decide which one I prefer when compared with my Spring3 (Drive be my external DDC with the same SC-Pure clock upgrade). They are both great. The Spring3 is one of the best R2R that I highly recommend. It sounds a little bit more dynamic. However, the ES9038Q2M DM MKII sounds more musical and delicate, especially for violin and vocal.

Please see the attached picture for the system under testing. I’ll order a case next to make it a well finished DAC.

ES9038Q2MDMII by Ian

BestDsDacIntegration by Ian
Hi Ian,

Did you als try the transformer I/V board in your test?

Thank you, Jan

Have you tried monitorpipro? It lets me select inputs on either a pi-less or a pi stack with ReceiverPiPro. I know it would work with the new proposed receiverpiddc which will have the usb board option. I am not sure if it will work with bridge pi. I don’t have experience with that one. Station pi es controller may work but that is not in your config.

Hi Jan,

will the SC-Pure Clock soon be available with frequencies 24,000 MHz and 25,000 MHz?
That would be great, because we need these frequencies for clock optimization of USB Cards (24,000 MHz) and network devices (25,000 MHz).
I think you offer a really great product and I think it will take these devices to the next level.
Thanks in advance!
Horst

Last edited: