Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

There is no need to continue to use batteries, because when the current passes through the supercapacitor, the quality of the current depends purely on the supercapacitor and has nothing to do with the front-end power supply. You will know it after you try it. A supercapacitor with a large capacity is like a large pool. After the dirty current is input, it will be purified.

That's good to know as I'm down to my last LiFePO4 26650 Batteries. I'll consider this if those batteries give out.

The reason I run LiFePO4 6.6V Mini underneath is because I want nothing to do with Mains. Zero, nada Mains anywhere. Unfortunately, the LinearPi 5V does not isolate from the Mains and runs directly off AC. So the LiFePO4 6.6V gives it a buffer from the Mains and should isolate / optical isolate once switched on.

The reason I built the "LiFePO4 6.6V Mini -> LinearPi 5V -> UcConditioner 5V" stack was to power my USB optical cable. My only other options to power the USB optical is to use Mains USB power strip or battery pack which I constantly have to recharge. It kind of defeats the purpose of having a optical cable if it has to interact with Mains. This was a much cleaner solution and I enjoy it so much with a PCI-E USB card to Uptone USPCB to a FPGA DAC for gaming on a low latency realtime OS. I seriously don't know what I would do without Ian's genius.

th-2366773258.jpg

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/taiko-audio-sgm-extreme-the-crème-de-la-crème.27433/post-631947

The LiFePO4 Big Boy Power Supply and UcPure isolates from Mains, so I'm happy to invest in those.

Luckily, this "LiFePO4 6.6V Mini -> LinearPi 5V -> UcConditioner 5V" stack will come in handy once I implement the StationPi as the UcPure 5V is not a solution currently. I plan to try a Compute 4 8GB with DFRobot Tray because it's much more power efficient that a RPi 8GB since it's stripped bare-bones:

DFR0827.jpg

So maybe this might not trigger protection mechanisms with the UcPure 5V -> StationPi RPi side once I plug this into the StationPi instead of a traditional power hungry RPi 8GB.

But I would rather quit this hobby than to have any on my components interact directly with Mains or to use non-low latency non-realtime OSes. That's where I draw the line. I rather jump off the cliff if I had to stop using low latency realtime OS for Gaming and Ian's Stack.

But you make good points about the supercapacitor being a large pool @350F. I hope to have some experience with that in about a month. UcPure 3.3V will have 3000 Farads so should be plenty for both Q7 clean and TransportPi II.

Also, I think it's Apples and Oranges when you compare past LiFePO4 battery supplies with a modern UcPure. It's really difficult and unfair to compare past Hybrid Battery / SuperCaps with the UcPure as the UcPure sets such a high standard. But we wouldn't be at this UcPure point without learning lessons from past Hybrid Battery / SuperCaps solutions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@Drive Shaft
It's always smart not to put all eggs in one basket. You are completely right.
And never feel rushed for anything, more likely the outcome is not as good as if we are relaxed, and do what we do with joy.

Regarding batteries:
Every battery has a material depending noise. With passive filtering we can get rid of many of its nastiest.
Supercapacitor now offer the opportunity to supply smaller consumer completely independent from any connection to the mains. This is very close to the theoretical ideal power supply. And in this use case, it doesn't matter what "fills" these caps. When they are charged, they get disconnected from their supply side. UcPure works this way.

When I understood UcConditioner correctly, it uses a supercapacitor as a filter/reservoir. It is connected all the time, but such a huge C has an immense filtering effect. Still, you would be able measure differences depending of its power supply: Whether you use a bad power supply, a good linear regulator or a battery power supply, you'll get different results.

Hi all,

I also want to build this streamer.
And I want the best modules available also the power supply.

Please give me the good direction witch modules to buy.
The streamer and dac I never switch off also this streamer must be on 24/7

My dac is the Denafrips Terminator Plus (with all the inputs available and clock output)
Now I use the usbridge signature with the shanti power supply as my current streamer and my server is the nuc8i7beh passive cooling with roon rock.

Regards,
Rudy
Hi all,

Thank you all for the input to help me.

I want to order but I don’t want to forget some things.

The 4 big Ultracapacitors and transformer and Raspberry I order separate because they are not included.

1x FIFOPI Q7 Synchronous FIFO Reclocker Board I2S 32bit 768kHz DSD1024 DoP256

1x HDMIPI PRO Ultra Low Jitter I2S LVDS HDMI Interface 32bit 1536kHz DSD1024

1x MONITORPI OLED Screen and Signal Analyzer Board for Raspberry Pi

1x STATIONPI PRO Raspberry Pi and HAT Boards Adapter Station

1x GPIO extension kit for Raspberry Pi

Now I have some questions left…

Do I need also order this (extra) coaxial cable or is this included with the other units?

1x U.FL coaxial cable double-ended silver-plated 6"
1x U.FL Coaxial cable double-ended silver-plated 2.5"
1x UCPI Universal Ultracapacitor Power Supply Board for Raspberry Pi

Is it possible in combination with the STATIONPI PRO or can I use this Power Supply external from the Stationpi Pro?
2x UcPure MkIII Ultracapacitor Power Supply Module Class A 5V

1x for the FIFOPI Q7
1x for the HDMIPI PRO Ultra Low Jitter I2S LVDS HDMI Interface 32bit 1536kHz DSD1024

Please tell me if I forgot something for example screws/cables.

Or some board for the Ultracapacitors to connect the 2 big Ultracapacitors together front side and back side.

Regards,
Rudy

^ Maybe you should run 3.3V into the FIFOPI Q7 and the HDMIPI PRO from the UC Pure. Less local regulators to deal with. UCPI would probably work, but you would need to cut it out from the wider support and you would need to input power to the USB-C connector (which is easier to do with a SMPS). You didn't list a Pi power supply on your list.

@Drive Shaft
It's always smart not to put all eggs in one basket. You are completely right.
And never feel rushed for anything, more likely the outcome is not as good as if we are relaxed, and do what we do with joy.

Regarding batteries:
Every battery has a material depending noise. With passive filtering we can get rid of many of its nastiest.
Supercapacitor now offer the opportunity to supply smaller consumer completely independent from any connection to the mains. This is very close to the theoretical ideal power supply. And in this use case, it doesn't matter what "fills" these caps. When they are charged, they get disconnected from their supply side. UcPure works this way.

When I understood UcConditioner correctly, it uses a supercapacitor as a filter/reservoir. It is connected all the time, but such a huge C has an immense filtering effect. Still, you would be able measure differences depending of its power supply: Whether you use a bad power supply, a good linear regulator or a battery power supply, you'll get different results.

Yes, eventually this is just a hobby but on the bleeding edge of this hobby. The Passive Power Supplies makes it fun, but even more important is that all the products available stay within the "Goldilocks"-zone of price-performance. For a Simpleton like me, I'm not afraid to experiment with Ultra Caps. I take all the Safety measures with caution, but I'm not afraid. And if it doesn't work out, it doesn't break the bank and I can move on to the next product.

Even when I'm fully satisfy, and I should just focus on full-time listening and collecting CDs I can't help pursuing the next product (UcPure) because it will just add to the enjoyment. I know it's a good long-term investment, but I should also pace myself.

I understand the pressure when you start trying to architect your first order to get in completely right. That first order is not easy especially depending on your location. I learned later that since Ian and I share borders, that it's quite straightforward to send me a small order when in need. Our postal systems seamlessly integrate, so I get a notification once Ian drops off in Canada. But I have that luxury. Other locations, there is more pressure as you don't want to deal with shipping again if you can avoid.

Pre-UcPure, batteries and hybrid (batteries + Ultra Caps) were a great solution. I will still be using LiFePO4 16.5V to power my external clock for a few years until I can phase out with a UcPure 15.5V. But even with slight flaws, batteries were a great solution when it was the only option available. It's like a Beggars can't be Choosers situation. But now with the UcPure, I guess some holes can be poked at the battery solution but I'll still enjoy the battery solution into 2025+. But yeah, if I was just starting out now UcPure all the way. For a UcPure 15.5V, that's $100 for the PCB and $500 for the Eatons versus Battery which is $200 for the PCB and $100 for the Batteries but you get complete Pure, Clean Power without the slight flaws of Batteries.

I've only used the UcConditioner for my USB optical cable, so it was kind of overkill already. I'll get a better idea of the UcConditioner once it is used for the StationPi. Since I use it with Battery Power, it only charges and activates when I switch the Battery Power On. It's a great solution for my USB optical cable, but for the StationPi remains to be seen.

Also, since I don't dare run Transformers I have to collect and stack Mean Well SMPS to power. So right now I stack four Mean Wells on top of each other for my Passive Power Supplies. Each time I consider adding another UcPure, I also have to consider adding another Mean Well and another RFI/EMI Filtered Power Strip so I don't want that to get out of hand and stay minimalistic.

But it's a great opportunity for those starting out from GB2023 to make UcPure their foundation. You can never have enough UcPure. But I'm in planned obsolence mode so I need to gradually phase out hybrids to UcPure over time.

I've already gone through (1) Q3 (R.I.P.) and (1) TPI (R.I.P.) due to modding so I'm on my second Q3 and second TPI powered by a single LiFePO4 26650. Those will be phased out to focus on Q7 and TPII to be powered by UcPure. But the Q3/TPI will have a second life as a Transportable Battery Power with a SC-PURE so Ian's gear is quite quality in that you can plan a good decade of change.

So if I was just starting out, anticipate your chain may go through changes but UcPure will stay pretty much static. You may need to account for Supporting Accessories like Mean Well SMPS. If I was just starting out, I would probably go all out on UcPure due to Supply Chain issues. We are lucky to have Eaton, but it can easily disappear like Maxwell. Without the Eaton option, we are all in a bind. So I would devote resources to UcPure as a architecture not specifically the UcPure product to anticipate the slight possibility there may not be a Ultra Cap option in the future. So I would collect Ultra Caps before I collect UcPures.

EDIT: I forgot about UcBalancers in the mix. I still can't believe we have the UcBalancer available as an option as I waited years for Eaton Balance boards. I only go for brand name boards, so I did not mind the wait. So I would prioritise resources to collect as many UcBalancer and Ultra Caps as I can, then worry about UcPure PCB at a later point for management purposes.

Last edited:
I've asked some questions before, because I want to build "ultimate" (Roon) streamer to go in between my MacMini M1 running Roon Core and my active (SPDIF input) Dynaudio speakers. After a lot of reading and searching, I came to the following list of Ian Canada products I think I need to achieve my goal:

1. TransportPi AES (#20C) (3.3V required)
2. FifoPi Q7 (#1D) (3.3V required)
3. StationPi Pro (#35B) (5V required for RPI, do I need J5 supply when no DAC?)
4. LinearPi 5V(#32A) (for RPI)
5. UcConditioner 5V (#25A) (for RPI)
6. UcPureMkIII (#41C) (2 Pcs or 3 Pcs if RPI can have seperate 3.3V)
7. UcBalancer (2 Pcs or 3 Pcs if RPI can have seperate 3.3V)
8. RPI 3B (5V via StationPi, 3.3V seperately?)
9. 2 clocks SC-Pure (Which frequencies, 44.1 up to 192 kHz required)

A few questions I have:

• Am I correct with the list above? Any comments are welcome
  • Is it possible, necesarry to have a seperate 3.3V supply to the RPI?
  • How about the J5 5V connection on the StationPi, is it needed in my configuration? (No DAC inside the streamer)
  • Which frequencies are advisable for the 2 Pcs. SC-Pure clocks to able to get all output frequencies between 44.1 and 192 kHz
  • Do I need some extra connectors, special cables (not regular hook up wire) to connect everything together?

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Hi Mark!
I'll try to answer most questions. As I also want the same, I also did a lot of reading, but I still have a few open points, see https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...eapon-to-fight-the-jitter.192465/post-7380841 if you are interested. Hopefully @iancanada will help out, if he has a minuted.

• Additionally you may need a MonitorPi (Pro). Otherwise I think the list ist fine.
  • The RPi doesn't need 3,3V. So, 5V is fine. If someone can answer this: Is 1 LinearPi 5V enough for a RPi?
    If you filter the 5V from the LinearPi with a UcConditioner, the power for the RPi is for sure clean enough.
  • I can't answer the question, which purpuse the StationPi Pro's J5 is serving (it's called 5V Audio in the documentation).

Maybe someone can help me/us our: @iancanada
    StationPiPro accepts 2 5V in, the first for the RPi (J3 or J13), and the second J5 (for Audio). Which modules or parts are using this 5V supply? It is (for me) important to know, so I can decide on which power supply I'll use for this position.
  • If you want this frequency band, you can use clocks from 22Mhz and higher. I'll go with the 22.5792 / 24.5760 MHz, as clocks with lower clock rate tend to have lower noise.
  • Depending on how you plan your build, a (few) GPIO extenders are nice to have.
  • You could add a touchscreen to control the StationPiPro (see documentation). It's 4D Systems GEN4-ULCD-24PT.
  • You'll need a few transformers. I think I'll order mine at Toroidy, to get shielded ones. Ah, and a case, obviously.:)
In the groupbuy interest list I'm on position 61, so you can check what I've got there.

Have a nice day,
Matthias

To get a Big Picture View, I laid out my End Of Summer goals.

I only exclusively use Neotech Solid Core for wiring. 12G Cooper from UcPure to Eatons. 18G Silver from Passive Power Supplies to [TARGET]. I'm experimenting 20-22G Cooper for USB PWR for USB optical cable. The 30G Silver was too thin.

I also use zero Streaming anything (not well-mastered and I want to avoid network-latency issue at this time), only well-mastered offline Redbook so pure 16-bit would be optimal. I'm trying my best to avoid 32-bit upsampling. Fortunately, the Q7 defaults to pure 16-bit and it seems like this is the case also with RPi GPIO. And since my FPGA DAC is so well-designed, it doesn't seem to hiccup when feeding pure 16-bit CD-only-quality @5.6448MHz. dcS FPGA DAC with the external clock option also runs @5.6448MHz.

I also only playback purely from RAM. Not only does my whole OS load in 8GB RAM at load time, but my playback settings allocate RAM playback as well.

Time to read the Q7 Manual to catch up....

Last edited by a moderator:
I've asked some questions before, because I want to build "ultimate" (Roon) streamer to go in between my MacMini M1 running Roon Core and my active (SPDIF input) Dynaudio speakers. After a lot of reading and searching, I came to the following list of Ian Canada products I think I need to achieve my goal:

1. TransportPi AES (#20C) (3.3V required)
2. FifoPi Q7 (#1D) (3.3V required)
3. StationPi Pro (#35B) (5V required for RPI, do I need J5 supply when no DAC?)
4. LinearPi 5V(#32A) (for RPI)
5. UcConditioner 5V (#25A) (for RPI)
6. UcPureMkIII (#41C) (2 Pcs or 3 Pcs if RPI can have seperate 3.3V)
7. UcBalancer (2 Pcs or 3 Pcs if RPI can have seperate 3.3V)
8. RPI 3B (5V via StationPi, 3.3V seperately?)
9. 2 clocks SC-Pure (Which frequencies, 44.1 up to 192 kHz required)

A few questions I have:

• Am I correct with the list above? Any comments are welcome
  • Is it possible, necesarry to have a seperate 3.3V supply to the RPI?
  • How about the J5 5V connection on the StationPi, is it needed in my configuration? (No DAC inside the streamer)
  • Which frequencies are advisable for the 2 Pcs. SC-Pure clocks to able to get all output frequencies between 44.1 and 192 kHz
  • Do I need some extra connectors, special cables (not regular hook up wire) to connect everything together?

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Again, ever since I put into Production Andrea's 5.6448MHz clock I've just been listening and collecting CD's so I haven't thought about gear at all and really rusty at this hobby. I'm also completely ignorant of Roon Core and SPDIF input for Dynaudio speakers.

Since I worked on my own draft, I was in a good rythm so I created you a very, very rough draft below so please confirm with others or via the manuals as needed.

You may need addtional power supplies as in the draft I just SHARED power roughly to keep it simple. I haven't confirmed if SHARING works yet.

For each UcPure 3.3V or 5V, you will need a set of UcBalancer.

The concept of StationPi is to separate the Raspberry Pi power from the Audio HATs power, so if you feed only the RPi side where do the Audio HATs get their power?

If this is the GPIO foundation of the Audio Side of the StationPi, I don't think you will get any power without feeding J5? I think there's Data communication between the RPi and Audio HATs, but the PWR doesn't come into play. Even though DACs don't come into play, Q7 and AES do and they will need power.

Raspberry-Pi-GPIO-Layout-Model-B-Plus-rotated-2700x900.png

For example, I use a single 26650 Battery to Power a RPi. 5V direct to RPi GPIO, 3.3V to Q3 clean side via Battery PCB 3.3V OUT. So the 5V from the RPi flows up to the Q3 which is stacked on top. Then 5V flows up to TransportPi which is stack on top of Q3, but the internal RPi 3.3V flows up to the TransportPi too not the Battery PCB 3.3V OUT. So TransportPi or TransportPiAES is optional for external 3.3V. Only when you want to plug holes do I recommend powering separately. The TransportPiAES is fully functional without external 3.3V power. But Q3 clean side absolutely needs external 3.3V PWR.

The Q7 Manual hints at some of this... I'll try to post if there's any interesting tidbits from the Q7 Manual or if I remember anything else.

Again, pinch of salt as I don't even trust my own memory. Trust, but Verify.

DynAudio.jpg

Last edited:
Hey all,
I'm new to the forum and need some help. I've just taken delivery of the following :
FiFoPi Q7
HDMIpi MkII
Monitor Pi
PurePi 5V+3.3V
LinearPi Solo
to match with my RPi 4B and Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC.
I want to just use RoonBridge on the RPi 4B as I have been doing up until now. So I have installed roonbridge and set dtoverlay=i2s-dac. Roon recognises this and streams quite happily to it. MonitorPi correctly identifies the incoming stream as do the LEDs on the Q7. I have set the input format of the i2s signal on the Denafrips DAC i2s input to match what I believe is the output from the HDMIpi - PS Audio format. But alas, no sound.

Short of breaking out the HDMI output and putting a logic analyzer on it to see if there is signal at the output of HDMIpi, I am out of ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I doing something stupid?

Thanks.

@mdekonin
Strange just tried a similar combo with a friend’s Pontus 2 and I know it works
some ideas to check
1)check that You do have the master clock ufl connection to the Hdmi pi from the FIFO pi

2) if you have a spare try a different ufl cable I once had a bad one if not check it with a meter

3) check that the hdmi pi board is properly seated

4) make sure your Hdmi cable is not very long like more then 6ft ideally stay under 3 ft

5) cycle the different I2s options on the Pontus while playing music

6) check that you have selected the proper I2s input on your Pontus

These suggestion may sound useless but you never know

Reactions: 1 users
Drive shaft,
Do you use a lifePo4Mini to feed the lineairePi or is it a diagram error? The opposite would not be effective? I have the same configuration as you, but personally I use the LineairePi for the 5V of Raspi/Stationpi and the LifePo4mini/Uconctionner for the 5V of the Stationpi/Q7.
I think it is better a power supply for each entry, rather than using a UConditionner for both as on your diagram.

@mdekonin
Strange just tried a similar combo with a friend’s Pontus 2 and I know it works
some ideas to check
1)check that You do have the master clock ufl connection to the Hdmi pi from the FIFO pi

2) if you have a spare try a different ufl cable I once had a bad one if not check it with a meter

3) check that the hdmi pi board is properly seated

4) make sure your Hdmi cable is not very long like more then 6ft ideally stay under 3 ft

5) cycle the different I2s options on the Pontus while playing music

6) check that you have selected the proper I2s input on your Pontus

These suggestion may sound useless but you never know
Thanks Gabster,
It was your videos that put me on to this gear! I had checked all but one of those things before posting and did find a poorly seated HDMIpi, but fixing that didn't help. The only thing I haven't checked is if the ufl connection is well seated. It appears to be but I might put a 'scope on the HDMIpi to see if the clock is indeed coming through. I don't have a spare but I might order some. Am I correct in that the Pontus II should have 1x on, 2x off and 4x off (100)? Cycling through didn't help, waiting 15 seconds, 10 for Pontus to lock in new setting and 5 seconds for any resync needed.

Drive shaft,
Do you use a lifePo4Mini to feed the lineairePi or is it a diagram error? The opposite would not be effective? I have the same configuration as you, but personally I use the LineairePi for the 5V of Raspi/Stationpi and the LifePo4mini/Uconctionner for the 5V of the Stationpi/Q7.
I think it is better a power supply for each entry, rather than using a UConditionner for both as on your diagram.

Yes, that's correct. I use a LiFePO4Mini 6.6V to feed a LinearPi 5V.
  1. Mean Well Medical Desktop AC Adapters 90W 12V https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/MEAN-WELL/GSM90A-12-P1M?qs=1GAP6L74MtRRyqrlYfxo9w==
  2. LiFePO4Mini 6.6V https://github.com/iancanada/DocumentDownload/tree/master/LifePO4Mini/LifePO4Mini6.6V
  3. LinearPi MKI https://github.com/iancanada/DocumentDownload/tree/master/LinearPi/History
  4. UcConditioner 5V https://github.com/iancanada/DocumentDownload/tree/master/UltraCapacitorPowerSupply/UcConditioner
In the LinearPi Manual, it states "6V AC or 7-9V DC power input.", but a long time ago; Ian had mentioned you can get away with 6.6V if it's specifically from the LiFePO4Mini 6.6V (Pure Clean PWR).

Since I don't want to have anything to do with Mains, this triple stack works out better for my use case so I did not mind giving it a shot.

LifePO4 Mini outputs are 100% isolated from the input when it’s turned on. And the on-board CC-CV charger is
also disabled in pure output mode. So theoretically the quality of LifePO4 Mini outputs will have no business with
the quality of the input DC power supply.

But since my use case was very lightweight (powering a USB optical cable), I have not pushed this stack yet.

Since this triple stack is already a Sunk Cost and I'm in no hurry to implement the StationPi, I want to experiment how this triple stack will work powering a Raspberry Pi. So that is one of my DIY goals this Summer.

I use the LineairePi for the 5V of Raspi/Stationpi and the LifePo4mini/Uconctionner for the 5V of the Stationpi/Q7.

Unless I can be Off of Mains in Pure Mode, this won't work for my use case. The UcPure was hope, but I have to rule that out of the equation until I can find a more power-efficient 8GB RPi that doesn't go out of voltage range. How does your LifePo4mini/Uconctionner get to 5V? Doesn't it stay stuck at 6.6V without a LinearPi?

Traditionally, this might be the case to separate 5V on each side. There has been chatter on this thread this past year about Sharing since Ian's Passive Power Supplies are getting more robust, so I want to experiment. I want to see if I can use the Triple Stack to power both sides of the StationPi with 5V. Ian also privately mentioned this may work as a solution, so I will try this out by the end of the Summer. But now I'm thinking if Ian may have overlooked that I have a LiFePO4 Mini 6.6V in the mix? I guess I'll know soon.

Since the Raspberry Pi is resource intensive, I'll get a better idea once I start testing this solution. I think my focus should be on acquiring a Compute Module 4 8GB for a more power-efficient Raspberry Pi than to find another 5V solution because of this experiment doesn't work out, the UcPure 5V is all that is left to go Off Mains.

At this point, I'm focused more on functional and just getting everything to work at this time. At a later time, if it's worth scaling than I'll adjust.

I'm okay if this triple stack doesn't work out with the Raspberry Pi as I treat this DIY hobby as a marathon than a sprint. I get to learn and I can re-use the Triple Stack for another 5V use case if needed, but I draw the line with not being in some kind of "Pure Mode" off of Mains as a solution as Ian has spoiled us. As long as I don't have any downtime from Andrea's clock, I'm willing to experiment a bit before procuring more goods.

Last edited:
A few hints for the ones upgrading from FIFOPIQ3 to FIFOPIQ7. My system: LifePO4 MK3 (2x3.3V + 1x5V all with conditioner boards), FIFOPIQ7, HDMIPi Pro (old config FIFOPIQ3, ReclockPI, HDMI Transmitter MK2 , StationPi Pro. I was powering the StationPi Pro with 5V on J3 and 3.3V on J5 (5V needed but 3.3V was working fine - saw some users on this forum using this configuration) + powering the FIFOPIQ3 with 3.3V on the clean side. When I plugged teh Q7 I imagined it would work in the same manner - the answer is no. The LifePO4 went into shirt protection mode...
With the help of Jan was able to determine that there is nothing wrong with the new boards and just the power scheme is wrong for the combo. I am using now 5V shared for the StationPi Pro and and 3.3V for teh clean side of FIFOPIQ7 and HDMI Transmitter Pro. This configuration works.
Also the pin of the Accusilicons needs to be bended or adjusted with resistor - however this is stated in the user manual (was working fine without bending the pins with FIFOPIQ3).
Hope this helps others that may face the same in the future.

Thank you for this... I remembered when powering the StationPi MKI with 3.3V on the Audio Side J5 was a thing.

As I just went through the Q7 Manual, I suspected I had to remove 3.3V from the equation and this post just confirms.

FifoPi Q7 has much powerful FIFO engine, so it’s need 5V power supply for J3.

FifoPi Q7 will not work if you feed 3.3V
to J3.

^^^ This is specific to just Q7 standalone, not StationPi but it should translate to the StationPi too. Specs, not implentation such a J3.

With the help of Jan was able to determine that there is nothing wrong with the new boards and just the power scheme is wrong for the combo. I am using now 5V shared for the StationPi Pro and and 3.3V for teh clean side of FIFOPIQ7 and HDMI Transmitter Pro. This configuration works.

Is "Jan" instead of "Ian" a Euro-thing? If it's legit, I might start calling Ian, "Jan". This gives me hope for 5V shared, but I'm going to experiment either way. Crossing fingers this is a "Modern" solution. Way to go also on sharing 3.3V with the Q7 & HDMI Pro. So trendy.

Hope this helps others that may face the same in the future.

+1. Many thanks, it helped I. Until I physically implement, I wasn't sure as I was only relying on Ian's suggestion; now I have more confidence this will work. I just don't know how long it will stay in "Pure Mode".

Other Tidbits I got from the Q7 Manual:

By default, the 16bit to 32bit converting function is disabled. FifoPi Q7 will output 16bit music in its original data
depth.
Some DAC doesn’t support 16bit music, for example the popular 44.1KHz 16bit CD format. In this case, you have
to enable the software up-sampling to convert it into 32bit, otherwise it will be no sound or play noise. However,
the software up-sampling process may not be in a way of lossless. With a FifoPi Q7 in system, you can simply fix
this problem by just enabling the 16bit to 32bit hardware lossless convertor function.

^^^ Thank you so much for this Ian. Being able to output 16bit music in its original data depth is a dream for a Redbook-only, WAV-only enthusiast.

Clock Note 1: When using 2 clocks, they have to be selected from two different frequency groups, but don’t have to be
a frequency pair nor do they have to both be XOs or OCXOs. For example, a 22.5792 MHz XO can work together with
a 49.1520 MHz XO. AND one of them can be an XO and the other an OCXO.

^^^ Oh, I guess you can go 22/49 or 24/45. Interesting versus standard 22/24 or 45/49. I'm Redbook-only so only 22 needed, but interesting...

I installed 11mm standoffs between FifoPiQ7 and the TransportPi MkII (or other audio HAT), but my FifoPiQ7
PCB was blown out when I turn on the power supply. Why?
Solution:
11mm standoffs are too short to leave enough space in between. It can result in a short circuit between
FifoPiQ7 and other audio HATs on top. Especially when you use metal case XOs.
Please use 13mm standoffs to avoid this kind of damage.

^^^ I've been pretty liberal with stacking HATs on top on one another. The HATs were so robust I didn't take any careful measures, but now I'll be more careful and I hope I have 13mm standoffs.

Some Tidbits StationPi Manual:

Independent power supplies directly to the GPIO of each stack.

Connect a DC 5V input to J3 as RaspberryPi power. Connect another DC 5V input to J5 as Audio GPIO
power.

^^^ No getting away from not powering J5 as Audio GPIO needs PWR.

Last edited:
and the LifePo4mini/Uconctionner for the 5V of the Stationpi/Q7.

If this was a thing I would consider, but:

The voltage range must be within 4.9V to 5.3V. To power Raspberry Pi, rated current 2A or higher linear
power supply would be recommended for this input. Voltage higher than 5.5V (even at short time) may cause
damage to UcConditioner.

UcConditioner doesn’t regulate the voltage. The output voltage will be as same as the input voltage. So, the input
voltage must be within range of 4.9V to 5.3V. If it is lower, the UcConditioner will not go to conditioning state. If it is
higher, the ultra capacitors can get damaged or reduced the life time.

So I have no idea how if you are feeding 6.6V into a UcConditioner 5V directly would this work? I'm open to this solution, but this never crossed my mind that this can be done.

have a problem.

have an ian canada isolator II with a FIFO Ma 1.5 on top.
as dac a Balanced DAC Board 2x PCM1794A I2S 24bit 192kHz.
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dac-...ard-2x-pcm1794a-i2s-24bit-192khz-p-16527.html

the problem is that with volumio only sound comes out if i set audio resampling to 192 Khz.
with spotify plugin hardly any sound comes out.

a philips tda 1543 dac for this and that worked well.

Do I have something wrong, am I missing something or is it related to the software.

have the settings and voltages according to the manual.

I also bought other clocks right away.
what strikes me as soon as spotify starts playing, the recclocker switches to another clock and almost no sound comes out, not even the old clocks.
spotify is the biggest problem for me then.
now built another streamer, same problem, now slightly different version PCM 1974A dac (only works by upsampling) now also a FIFO Q7 instead of FIFO MA

Hey all,
I'm new to the forum and need some help. I've just taken delivery of the following :
FiFoPi Q7
HDMIpi MkII
Monitor Pi
PurePi 5V+3.3V
LinearPi Solo
to match with my RPi 4B and Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC.
I want to just use RoonBridge on the RPi 4B as I have been doing up until now. So I have installed roonbridge and set dtoverlay=i2s-dac. Roon recognises this and streams quite happily to it. MonitorPi correctly identifies the incoming stream as do the LEDs on the Q7. I have set the input format of the i2s signal on the Denafrips DAC i2s input to match what I believe is the output from the HDMIpi - PS Audio format. But alas, no sound.

Short of breaking out the HDMI output and putting a logic analyzer on it to see if there is signal at the output of HDMIpi, I am out of ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I doing something stupid?

Thanks.
What clocks are you using? If accusilicons, you have to lift pin 1