Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Disabled Account
Joined 2020
Thanks @SimonJ. That's good to know about 3V.

If I really had to, I don't mind a knockoff for a switched solution.

But I'm not comfortable enough with a knockoff for a 24/7 continuous solution.

I don't mind taking more time or paying a premium for a brand name protection board (kit). Only if I have exhausted all brand name possibilities, then I would re-consider knockoffs.

On the car audio forum, I read balance board is optional. But if no balance board there's no over-voltage protection and can cause a fire. So still back to a brand name balance board. The option of not having a balance board is not there, unfortunately.

I'm hoping the kit can at least support 2.85V. No 3V option with the kit.

I'm sure we will see more solutions as people are receiving their UcPure soon. That's why I want to wait a bit as someone may come up with a creative solution in the next few months. I don't have enough DIY knowledge to be an "early adopter", so hope to follow someone's lead.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2020
ALD is solid, but I don't have an example to copy and don't know how to debug. No blogs, no YouTube. How will I know the CAPs are balancing without proper debugging equipment?

ALD Precision Analog Standard Products

The kit protection boards are brand name too since it was a HQ ultra cap company before being bought out by a car audio power solution company. It's as solid as Maxwell and maybe the first company to release 3000F tech around a decade ago.

But I want future options such as Skeleton Technologies, so the kit I will be closed in with old but stable tech. I'm okay with that as it's safe and proven. But I just want to explore a little bit more before re-ordering the kit.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2020
I noticed Mouser and Digikey only has up to ALD 2.8V available for sale. 3V not released yet, so giving up on that idea. The ALD can possibly be as simple as a +- connected to the PCB <==> C1+,C2- since that's all the threaded balancing board needs.

Giving up after exploring additional options, I'm just going to play it safe and re-order the kit.

I highly doubt the knockoff will go beyond 2.7V. It may work, but it won't take full advantage of 3V. In time, Mouser and/or Digikey should have the ALD 3V. I trust the knockoff even less with 3V.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello.
I will supply my Fifopi board with 3,3 volt coming from the lifepo4 board because Ian was so kind to donate me an Ucpure board i am kind of stimulated to try 3000F caps.
IF i am right the balancing board does not have to be connected directly onto the cap terminals. I WANT the connection between cap terminal and Fifopi board to be state of the art so to say. Introducing a board as an extra '' layer '' is not a good idea.
I wrote before you could try making the connection between terminal and wire going to the Fifopi board with one nut and then install the balancing board on top of that nut and fix it with a second nut so there is no degrading of the important connection which is the one going to the Fifopi.
According to the press supercap technology is still improving so i would always buy a product made recently. It looks like new companies are popping up because of high demand.
To me it seems that a balancing board is not a REAL high tech thing so maybe Ian could make one to make us feel more safe. If used 24/7 better make a good selection. There just need to be one part on the board being used to close to its maximum ratings and one day you will be surprised by a lot of damage.
Greetings, Eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2020
I'm not a fan of the balancing board directly to the terminals either. But like they said, it's about practical implementation rather than full out optimisation. You need perfect conditions for the latter.

The ALD is just wiring so it may work out one day as it does not have to be physically on the terminal. I might experiment with an ALD with my car audio UC to prepare for a ALD3V one day.

I would consider a Ian protection board a brand name if released.

For now, I'm just going to go back to the kit. When it's time, I'll either double down on another kit or go in a different direction with the ALD/Eaton 3V.

This time around, the kit makes the most sense. If an ALD3V was available then I would delay the kit. But the stars are not align at this time, but maybe they will be for round 2. I don't want to be locked in to a closed proprietary solution but no choice as it's the safest choice IMO ATM for my criteria.

Amazing implement Ian. I'll check out M12 supplies on Mouser or Machine Shops.

I don't see a balancing board. A balancing / protection board is not needed for 3.3V or 5V?

If a balancing board is not needed, it will change my arc as I don't need 15V for quite a while...

I'll be happy with something exactly like your photo with the Eatons 3V.

Looking forward to your comparison with the Maxwells. Like I mentioned I missed out on the Golden Era of Pulsar Clocks and Maxwells, so if Eatons >= Maxwells and Andrea's Clock > Pulsar Clocks I'll be good. Although I really need a Pulsar Clock DIL14 equivalent for transportable use.

@A123

The yellow Eaton XL60-3R0308T-R 3000F ultracapacitors are rated 3V. But when work with UcPure 3.3V configuration, the maximal working voltage at each cap will be around 1.7V. The headroom will be 1.6V. I this case, I don't think the balance board will be necessary. But I could be wrong. I'll keep watching the voltage over each caps to see how much voltage difference it can be.

Ian

Disabled Account
Joined 2020
That possibility works. I canceled my UcPure-related order, so my options are wide open again. I canceled because of the Eaton 3V photo and the possibility no protection board will be needed, so this is great news. I suspected 3V may change things as 2.7V you are more limited and have to pursue the traditional protection board route.

My current dream setup is the Eaton 3V with Cooper bars and no protection board for the UcPure 3.3V configuration.

For the UcPure 3.3V configuration, it will be used in switched mode so I'm comfortable if your test concludes there is no need for a protection board.

For the UcPure 5V configuration that I will use in 24/7 continuous mode, I might try out the ALD PCB. No rush, nothing mission critical.

I only have one UcPure to experiment for now, so I'll focus on a non-protection board 3.3V then I'll try the 5V configuration later on once the 3.3V is stable.

For the UcPure 15V configuration, that's a year away.

Thanks for such a robust, cutting edge product. Because it is cutting edge, parts are more difficult to come by and that's perfectly understandable.

I'm glad more information has come to light as it will change my UcPure arc. I'm really glad now that my cancellation request went through as I would be locked in to a legacy solution. I'll put any orders on hold until a conclusion is reached.

EDIT: Github updated so time to clone a local copy...

Last edited:
SinePi first impressions are very positive

I installed SinePi today and just finished listening to a couple of MA Recordings CD's that have become my favorite reference recordings for testing new configurations.

The impact on sound for me was very positive and quite significant. Very similar to upgrading to ReclockPi in my room. All of the things you appreciate in a low phase noise clock just come through more pronounced. To me the depth of sound stage was significant. Spatial cues and sense of air around sound sources took a big step up. As always, I get the impression that everything is a tad more natural and precisely placed in 3d space.

I am aware that @dddac reported similar impressions but found the difference to be small. Why I wonder do I sense a more pronounced improvement? I have a theory that in addition to the excellent engineering of the signal path Ian has done, that we also must appreciate the importance of the mechanical connection to the clock. I really struggled with the connection to the clock with the original squarer. Perhaps I had a bigger issue to resolve. With SinePi, it is solidly connected to FIFOPi, and you can securely connect the SMA cable. I have the clock on 30" of RG400 cable plus a 5" patch cable to take it from FIFO outside the chassis. I had been using a lighter patch cable with the original squarer. Perhaps being able to use RG400 end to end also had an impact.

Right now I am using one 5MHz Drisco. After everything settles I'll experiment with 2 clocks, and perhaps upgrade to ucpure as a power source. But just wanted to share a first impression that was surprisingly positive.

Congratulations Ian on another fine innovation!

Hi Wlowes, well maybe we just hear the same, but the way we describe it is different?

I tend to be more holding back and cautious in my wording, where others are more expressive. Nothing wrong with that. I believe as a reviewer you need to stay consistent in the things you describe. The same goes for Audio Magazines for example... But it is very much ok if the wording is different in my opinion.

But basically we had the same experience and that is reassuring :)

Today was not my day to be honest. I was distracted and just blew up my ReclokPI an hour ago.... the very last connection I made before finally closing the the DAC Chassis was not the 3,3 Volt wire but a 12 Volt :eek:
---- pssshhht and smoke ------ So need to wait again now to finish my DAC....

well it is a hobby and sh*****t like this happens so now and than :blush:

It's the calm before the storm, so I'll ask this before it gets busy post-GB.

If anyone can confirm that 11.289600 MHz is the best frequency for the MagicXtal (Pulsar) clocks, pls confirm. Redbook only use.

If Andrea's clock works well, I'll add this to the bucket list. I want a future transportable 3.3V clock DIL option.

22.5792 MHz is backup.

Hi!
This interests me too. In theory, a generator of 5 is enough for redbook, but I have come across recommendations that it is better than 11 to eliminate errors.
@iancanada, @dddac What do you think about this, is a 5.6448MHz generator enough for 16/44.1 with fifopi, will it work?

Hi!
This interests me too. In theory, a generator of 5 is enough for redbook, but I have come across recommendations that it is better than 11 to eliminate errors.
@iancanada, @dddac What do you think about this, is a 5.6448MHz generator enough for 16/44.1 with fifopi, will it work?

I have fifo V1. For me, fifo does not work at 5 Mhz. So at the moment I am listening to music with Adrea's clock and a doubled (5.6448 MHz X 2), also at 44.1 kHz.

Disabled Account
Joined 2020
Hi!

It's best to separate what's possible with Andrea's clocks and not mix with what can be done with MagicXtal clocks. The lowest MagicXtal is 8.

I recommend reading this post (freq range) and completely forget about Andrea's clock in this process:

Pulsar Clock - Ultra Low Noise OCXO

Also, I noticed the MagicXtal has 5 legs / stems not 4 so this may be a dealbreaker.

Last edited:
I myself live in Russia. I called the Mxtall plant. But I chose others, ГК154 manufacturer in Moscow. Кварцевые генераторы :: Производство и Поставки :: ООО НПФ БМГ ПЛЮС In terms of characteristics, they are not inferior to MXO37 / 14 and sound great! But they cost around $ 50 :)
I use it on 22 and 24 with fifopi. I only have a table of 36 for comparison. Now I want to buy myself another 5.6 and 6.1, but the minimum batch is 3 pieces of each frequency. I also think about group purchases.
But for maximum performance they need 5v. (3.3v support too).

Attachments

• 901649484_154--.jpg.1d526a9b95fb89c3a25f1c9e468d0720.jpg
    901649484_154--.jpg.1d526a9b95fb89c3a25f1c9e468d0720.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 255
  • spec 1638C-37_14-A17D3T-24.576_09.09.16.pdf
    91.3 KB · Views: 102