Assemblage Power Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The initial Nobrainer concept (Thank you JG and FdW) added to the singleton input (Thank you Gareth), with carefully designed output stage with laterals (thank you Michael) is a total winner.

PS: The Assemblage sounds really amazing.... Can not stop spinning my TT :)

That's real cool, I'm sure we all learned and we are all happy that you succeeded, congratulations on succeeding, it's not easy.

I have been listening for a while now and can confirm that this mod was highly beneficial.
I am really pleased with the results that prove my choice of building blocks was fine.

The initial Nobrainer concept (Thank you JG and FdW) added to the singleton input (Thank you Gareth), with carefully designed output stage with laterals (thank you Michael) is a total winner.

Must thank all involved (Sergio and all the others) for the patience and support.

I really learned a lot in the process and am particularly pleased to see my thread gathered so much attention.

PS: The Assemblage sounds really amazing.... Can not stop spinning my TT :)

Can you Kindly post the final circuit ?

Joined 2006
Paid Member

Attachments

• Assemblage LAST VER OCT14.png
    Assemblage LAST VER OCT14.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 179
  • assemblage-power-amp-exicon 2SA1381C VAS Beta enhancement.asc
    13.3 KB · Views: 53
Well.... now I am repairing a 300B amp that has no bias.... for now I will be listening to the assemblage as is.... after that I will do your mod and report back.

PS: If I lower R16, will I not be modifying the VAS bias state ?

There will be a small change in Vbe of Q2 and that may translate into (I think) a tiny change (Mostly Harmless - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (I think))

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Always in search for some improvements I am trying to implement a cascade on the VAS.

Unfortunately I can not eliminate offset ....

Attachments

• Cascoded VAS.png
    Cascoded VAS.png
    40.4 KB · Views: 265
  • assemblage-power-amp-exicon 2SA1381 VAS Beta enhancement CASCODE.asc
    14.4 KB · Views: 60
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I still would like it if you checked Q2 out with a bit more of current :) For example R16 at 220 Ohm (3mA) and maybe even 100 Ohm (6mA)?

Hello Frans

After listening to the Assemblage for a while, I do consider it a very good amp with incredible bass dexterity providing a fast and detailed sound. (Particularly good on strings)

Anyway I am still searching for some more treble integrity and fluidity .... after fighting with the simulator trying to cascode the VAS and not being able to find the issue (cascoding seems to produce instable offset trimming), I decided to go your way.

Today I had time for this mod... I replaced the emitter resistor in the beta enhancement bjt by a 180r and so raised it's idling current to 4.5mA.

Now listening to it... first impressions are good... retaining the very good bas dexterity I seem to have now a better treble presentation also.

Must listen more before I can really determine the differences :)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Listening again and now it seems clear, I have got more fluidity in the treble (bass remains quite incisive) .... this proves the VAS to be one of the main points in a power amp.

I wonder if I should install drivers before the laterals .....

PS: How is your BIG amp doing ?

Listening again and now it seems clear, I have got more fluidity in the treble (bass remains quite incisive) .... this proves the VAS to be one of the main points in a power amp.

I wonder if I should install drivers before the laterals .....

PS: How is your BIG amp doing ?

It's doing fine :) even more than very well :) :) It now has it's own line-stage/amplifier-driver (see 3D and functional diagram). And I am working on a Remote-on-off/Soft-start/Mains-Monitor/Muting-controller (this one http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...ssing-cycle-detector-off-mute-controller.html). Most people think/say it is 'over-done' and thus no one is cooperating in that thread, it was kind of a gift from me and it would be nice if I got some constructive input on functionality and functioning, I do know how to make it work and I am currently designing the PCB for it :)

Attachments

• LineStage PCB 3D.PNG
    LineStage PCB 3D.PNG
    245.8 KB · Views: 191
  • SSD BIG4BT V5, Final Signature Companion; Block Diagram.png
    SSD BIG4BT V5, Final Signature Companion; Block Diagram.png
    78.8 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
there are some way to improve the design, one is to remove the VBE and bias the laterals with diodes instead of resistors, if you set the bias to app 110 mA then you're at a plateau when there's no thermal drift in the laterals.

Another option is to remove the bias circuit (the mirrored floating CCS) and drive the laterals directly off the VAS. with the VBE or diodes as a spreader.

For better treble it's my experience that there must be a good cap over the VBE, like 10-47 uF film. (ooh saw its already there)

you can also reduce gate stoppers to a lower value, decrease down to maybe 47 ohm, (this is with caution as the gate stoppers also aid stability).

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.