Article - Sony VFETs part 1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Today I powered up my first monoblock VFET amp. All went well. No magic smoke :cool:
I am listening to it now, Left channel the VFET, right channel the ACA amp.

The VFET has very little gain, so start building gain stages...:p
I guess around 6 dB gain or less. I had to adjust the gain for my right channel with the ACA, around -11 dB to let them play at the same level.

With RCA shorted dead silent.
With interconnect to my DCB1 I hear a little high hum, but no big deal. Maybe the Zout of the DCB1 isn't low enough.

I will post some pictures tonight.

Walter

This is my gain stage. JBOZ + 1uF capacitor and 2sk170 and 2sj74 buffer. And pot at input to adjust maximum output (this is only for testing, but i am very surprised with results).

Attachments

• 20140516_202541_resized.jpg
    20140516_202541_resized.jpg
    826.9 KB · Views: 651

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Today I powered up my first monoblock VFET amp. All went well. No magic smoke :cool:
I am listening to it now, Left channel the VFET, right channel the ACA amp.

The VFET has very little gain, so start building gain stages...:p
I guess around 6 dB gain or less. I had to adjust the gain for my right channel with the ACA, around -11 dB to let them play at the same level.

With RCA shorted dead silent.
With interconnect to my DCB1 I hear a little high hum, but no big deal. Maybe the Zout of the DCB1 isn't low enough.

I will post some pictures tonight.

Walter
and how does it compare to ACA? :)

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Here are some pics... It is really lots of work building point to point, but I enjoyed it very much.
It's a bit tube style, in the past I build a lot of RF transmitters, also PtP...Good old QQE 06/40's :D

Now have to build the second channel so I can do some serious listening, pfff...
I hear already good things in the mid sections, voices sound very good, so it is promising....

Amp behaves very well, temperature just near the VFET is around 59C, bit high, heatsinks max. 52C. I can't measure at the VFET because my probe wont measure shiny metals:(
The whole amp draws about 120 Watt at 230V.
My Vreg is 23 Volt, and bias is 1.52 A. Offset stays within a few tenths of mV.
I started adjusting with Vrefs both at 12.0 V (as in the article) and then the amp already pulls 600 mA. I was expecting to start from zero mA :eek:

I now have to design a nice frontplate and think of leaving the top off, it's just so beautiful...

Attachments

• adjust-top.jpg
    adjust-top.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 394
  • adjusting.jpg
    adjusting.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 383
  • bottomplate.jpg
    bottomplate.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 356
  • playing.jpg
    playing.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 384
  • topside1.jpg
    topside1.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 387
  • frontside.jpg
    frontside.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 374
  • bottom-in.jpg
    bottom-in.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 574
  • prepared.jpg
    prepared.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 578
  • ptp.jpg
    ptp.jpg
    459.4 KB · Views: 597
  • TL431.jpg
    TL431.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 622
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.