Angling for 90° - tangential pivot tonearms

To those who have messaged me asking for Frank's "Secrets" - I'm not prepared to say anything in private that I wouldn't in public. Actually quite the opposite, I almost never answer PMs.

In any case, there are no secrets as far as I know: all the available information is already in this thread.

there are no secrets as far as I know: all the available information is already in this thread.

Those are the people who don't want to spend the time studying. Outside of all the hardcore math, the basic stuff is not that hard to grasp even as a layman like myself. I spent two years on this thread and am still learning new things.

Again, there are no secrets.

Last edited:
Schröder LT tangential tracking tonearm

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

qiTtZhh.jpg

R547R4W.jpg

NHtlWev.jpg

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Drawings from the recent patent!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Very impressive indeed. Couple of months we here, rather smart guys:D, tried to figure out what lies on the bottom of this arm, still with no result. This is where ingenuity is: very simple, elegant and effective design with no unnecessary features, nor under- , nor over-engineered. Bravo, Frank, you are still able to amaze us:eek:, picky spoiled audiophiles, after 100-something years of tonearm development history.

Last edited:
Amazing that the leverage needed to pull this arc across the record works out.
This doesn't look like it would work well with high compliance MC's, but most would mate this with medium to low compliance ones anyway so probably no issues.
A very interesting and unique design that is just begging for a DIY attempt

Regards
David

Hi,
It works fine with cartridges of super high compliance(>30CU) too. The force required to deflect the arm sideways, translated into forward motion is always less than 3,5milligrams. Try to find an arm with captive bearings that requires less force to overcome stiction.... it's the wiring that becomes the limiting factor at this point.
And don't forget that this arm has greater "leverage" than conventional linear trackers, due to the much shorter travel distance (~30mm vs. 100mm) for the same radius covered.

Cheers,

Frank

This "forward pull" is an added feature along with the bearing arrangement already present.
I,m trying to wrap myhead around how say, an air bearing doesn,t have this feature even though you place the 30mm vs 100mm in the same camp.
Their in different camps. One has no friction (air) across the record and yours needs considerable friction (bearings and forward arc) to accomplish the same thing in its 30mm requirement
Your design is very clever and would love to hear it someday.

Regards
David