And what did we buy today?

All of the repairmen I talked with have told me the day of the 15-20 year old
Refrigerators are over and mfgrs today don’t really care about keeping this reputaion going

20 years ago my father and I were discussing a fight he was having with his wife. She wanted a new refrigerator. He wanted to keep his GE that he got around the time I was born. He (a mechanical engineer) said he wanted to see if he could get 50 years of service out of it. I think it had just 5 years to go...

My advice? Give it up and get a new fridge!

The wife wants a new fridge because the old one has developed a mechanical resonance in the cabinet. She’s convinced that it’s on its way out. I’m not so convinced. I’ve had refrigerators buzz for years. Since it has been more than 10 years I’m reluctant to get rid of it - I doubt a new one would go that long.

Well it was delivered today.. and fitted.

115kg of tri-laminate toughed and heat treated glass:

IMG_8918.jpg

If you imagine blue-black riven slate on the tops of the walls and sill.. and the removal of the remainder of the tarp cover in the background plus the drainage and two more coats of paint.... and the garden put back to normal.. it will look quite nice. ;) :D

13,000 litres or 3434 US gallons.

Hey Nick?

Back in August, you got the valve. Now you have some triple-lami tempered glass that you have clamped. You also had some ginormous black cabinet thing you were going to fiberglass.

I think you need to take more pictures so we have a better idea what you are doing with this oversized fish tank.

13,000 litres or 3434 US gallons.

2860 gallons in our language. But who uses gallons anymore? ;)

I bought a new fridge yesterday. Took it back today. The fridge magnets wouldn't stick to it.

We had one in my Dad’s art studio that had been there since 1986, was a 1950s model.
The thing was still running strong when we pulled it out of there with a come along winch when the building was about to be demolished in 2008. Just couldn’t leave that soldier behind.

Today I bought some meds that were supposed to tranquilize my dog so they could trim his nails at the vet without getting bit. I think he’s actually worse than without the meds. I looked them up, and they were ant-depressants.

Phase if it was fluoxetine (Prozac ) some dogs can have adverse side effects to that stuff, I know because we tried it on our dogs several years ago as we were traveling a lot and the dogs were very anxious……anyways our female started having random convulsions and our male got even more weirded out like a zombie dog but was still anxious!
And if given for more than a week or two they have to be weened off it slowly or it can really screw them up. I don’t recommend anyone try these antidepressants for dog anxiety……we switched up to a doggie version of Xanax for the ‘big jobs’ and plain Benadryl (without Tylenol) for simple trips around town, you’ll have to talk to your vet about dosages but one 25mg Benadryl keeps our 100 lb hounds pretty mellow for a few hours. I’ve been wanting to try doggie CBD but they’ve actually calmed down fairly well in old age (almost 8).

Back in August, you got the valve. Now you have some triple-lami tempered glass that you have clamped. You also had some ginormous black cabinet thing you were going to fiberglass.

I'll post a photo once it's full and the fish are in :)

The pond :) It's taken a little time.

Four 8 yard skips full of excavated soil
4.3m sq of C35 concrete with rebar mesh - 250mm depth
550 blocks 440c220x100mm 7.3N dense blocks
Concrete rendered both inside and out
Latex concrete floor
30 metres of 110mm pipework with 14 swept 90 bends
20 metres of 1" air piping
Two 110mm valves :p
40m sq of fibreglass with tissue glass over the top and waterproof topcoat including marine ply divider fibreglassed and bonded in.
115Kg window - 2130x715x33mm
280Kg of riven blue slate
Power to the garage
Water to the garage
Surface drainage rerouted (a drainage channel will be added too)
Temporary two layer tarp shelter.

I'm 6'4 and can stand in the pond - my head is just below the top of blockwork.

This is with:
* A global pandemic
* a loss of the father-in-law due to pandemic
* UK wide lock down, a month of quarantine due to travel
* being made redundant, the a new job and being let go as part of the sale of the company.
* Brexit - the UK leaving the EU hence all the materials (along with the pandemic) became like gold dust and even now wood is 2x the price it was when I broke ground.
* an operation
* putting neck out on a Belgian rollercoaster
* the worst rain the UK has seen in a long time..
* doing everything as the wife has been revising hence no time.

To be honest it's been a test of blind will and stubbiness :)

New solar power installation for our house. The house is small so not room on the roof for a really big installation. We don't use much power though, so the yearly production is projected to be 102% of our current yearly consumption. I will be adding an electric water heater though; currently domestic hot water is produced by our oil burning furnace. We put in a heap pump downstairs in Jan 202, might add a small one upstairs this year. I would ultimately like to say goodbye to the oil tank.